Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 03-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
pbadad

Question Guides clicking noise

Finished a rod last week and friend questioned the clicking noise while simulating penciling. I told him this was the guides settling in. I've had others over the years do this shortly after being done and in time it seemed to be quiet. Am I wrong for this speculation? I used a different epoxy finish this year, Flex Coat UV formula. I really liked the coverage and ease of leveling. Last year was Amcote. Needed more coating to get coverage over the guide hump but nevertheless looked great. Just didn't appreciate the softness of the finished product. Started back when w/original flexcoat, no real issues just nominal cracking.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Saltheart

I would check for a loose ring inside the metal frame. just put each guide near your ear and tap the ceramic ring with your finger. If you hear the click or rattle you have a loose ring.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Happens a lot if the rod is not under wraped. Factory Lamiglas we see a bunch. Not to common if it is under wraped. Never had any issues with AftCoat.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote