Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Conservation Issues and Notices

Conservation Issues and Notices A new location to post Conservation Issues and Notices in place or or in addition to discussions on the Main Stripertalk Forum

Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
striperman36
Old Guy

MA DMF to vote on reducing Fluke by 28 pct

Crap,
28 pct off of 2008 numbers, may not even be worth fishing for them anymore if this happens
Only had an 8 week season for 10 over 17.5 in 2008
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Mr. Sandman

This is one %$%$%$%$ed up group of fishery managers. They really are a bunch of fools.

Oh...but the comms can take 14" till the cows come home.

THEY HAVE NO FRIGGIN IDEA HOW MANY FLUKE WERE CAUGHT BY RECS LAST SUMMER. IT WAS NOT MANY...NOWHERE NEAR THEIR ASSUMPTIONS. GIVEN THE FUEL COSTS AND THE SEASON LIMITS, THE SOUND WAS VOID OF ANY REC FLUKE FISHERMEN FOR MOST OF THE SUMMER. I know, I was out there many days, not behind some desk making bad assumptions about how many fish were caught by people who didn't go fishing much.

Bottom line...the fluke will not come back to their desired levels UNTIL they :

A) Improve the forage food situation (ie. STOP POUNDING THE HELL OUT OF THE SQUID EACH SPRING. ( I counted 22 squid boats one day off of Cape Poge in less than a square mile) Personally, I feel they should not take 1 squid UNTIL they have all finished spawning, then well after they can fish them)

B) Stop dragging them in deep water offshore all winter. Leave them be. I think they spawn then.

C) Stop all dragging inshore. Comm fishing inshore has to be less indiscriminate.

D) Stop out of state boats from coming up and raping our waters (and we should not go down and rape theirs)

E) NO TOSSING BACK ANY FISH CAUGHT IN A NET. NONE. No cherry picking jumbos and tossing back dead or near dead fish . All fish count towards their quota.

F) All fish have to be counted. Rec and Comm. Recs need to report the amount of fish they take. I think the facts will shock fishery managers...it is a lot less then they think. The assumptions they use are ridiculous.

This subject gets me

As for the season.. I don't care what the size/creel limit is...but keep it open from May to Oct. 8 weeks? WTF?
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

I've also seen the draggers out on Lucas, keeping larges and scuppering over anything small but legal.
They only get 200 lbs per day, but they get more per lb for large.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
redcrbbr
here fishy fishy

Send a message via ICQ to redcrbbr Send a message via AIM to redcrbbr Send a message via Yahoo to redcrbbr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
This subject gets me
I couldn't tell.

well said, you know as well as I do whatever they (fishery managers)do will be half assed and based on crystal ball numbers.

redcrbbr
of all the things i've lost...i miss my mind the most!!

redcrbbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Mr. Sandman

Red is right about crystal ball numbers and they have the foresight of a rear view mirror. Look at Restori's (sp?) summer flounder write up in first pages of this weeks fisherman. With all the charter fishing and head boat fishing reports down in terms of numbers of people who when out, plus the insane fuel prices that kept a lot of boats tied to the dock, according to the stats, we recs set records on how many # of fish were taken and a all time high mortality.
This is : They now believe the mortality was increased because they raised the limit so high that you had to release a lot more to get a keeper and since they assume 10% die you get more dead small fish. However, unlike bass, fluke become mature early and we are killing a big part of the spawning mass.

What astounds me is the difference between comm and rec now is huge. comm R&R fluke pounding 14"...for some reason, they do no damage?

We need fresh management with new more accurate methods. These guys have tried now for decades and what they do doesn't work. We are not better off today then before. And yes I do think the rec fishery is more important to our society than the comm side for a number of reasons and that the laws should reflect that.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

how many commorants and seals are counted as fisherman?
They do have a minimum or catch limit
Old 03-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
I keep a comercial lic just so i can get fish! There is no money in this fishery any longer.
I said it before and i say it again, I will never pay for the new rec lic!! What we going to get for are money except more

Push all dragers out of state waters and protect the inshore fishery and i will be happy to give up all my com lic.

The season hasn't even started and draggers have 6% of the quota already!!

"All my friends are Flakes!!"

BOATLESS
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote