Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 01-24-2003, 02:08 PM   #1
Notaro
None

Question Productive Line for surfcasting...Flourocarbon?

Hey guys,
I wanted to know about your opinion of using a flourocarbon line for surfcasting. I tried using it (Yo-Yuzi) and it's not that smooth. It can be used as an ideal casting like Back River in Weymouth (Webb State Patk), Old Fish Pier, or on a boat. That's what I think. Can any of you share your insights of it?
Thanks.
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:16 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Big Game Green (my choice) or ANDE with a mono or flouro leader... All you need. Once you're comfortable, try the super lines if you are inclined....

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:18 PM   #3
Notaro
None

Thanks, John. Hey, I am very inexperienced w/ rigging a lure and using lures. Can you give me some ideas?
Old 01-24-2003, 02:20 PM   #4
Striper SniperX
><(((">

Send a message via AIM to Striper SniperX Send a message via Yahoo to Striper SniperX
Isn't Flouro Much more $$$ ? would hate to get a birdsnest in that

what's w/ that ande pink- i may try that--tho the color is ah..not fishermanish..

"Striper Sniper"
15' Starcraft Sportfish-Classic.

Visit my site at:
Saltwater-Fishing.8k.com
Striper SniperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:22 PM   #5
Notaro
None

Not really, flourocarbon doesn't cost that much. Not if you use Yo-Yuzi hybrid lines. You can use seagual flourocarbon leaders, but it depends on what weight you want to purchase.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:24 PM   #6
JohnR

We're looking at some How-To's for stuff like that but basically it's your mainline to a swivel and flouro from the swivel to the plug. Knots can vary a little and other things like snaps or no snaps at the plug.

Do a search on knots or terminal tackle and you'll see a lot on the subject. You may need to fiddle with the search terminology to get all the answers...

I don't like the Yozuri personally. The best mon IMO is Big Game Green. I'm not the only one that feels that way too

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-24-2003, 02:30 PM   #7
Striper SniperX
><(((">

Send a message via AIM to Striper SniperX Send a message via Yahoo to Striper SniperX
What about Iron Silk? Love that stuff

it's Tuff like Iron, but smooth as silk...mad by berkley so it's got the good ol' big game feel also...

mike
John? new avatar OK? that explains how i feel after having to say Bye to my bluefish

"Striper Sniper"

Visit my site at:
Saltwater-Fishing.8k.com
Old 01-24-2003, 02:49 PM   #8
JohnR

Quote:
What about Iron Silk? Love that stuff

it's Tuff like Iron, but smooth as silk...mad by berkley so it's got the good ol' big game feel also...
Have you used Iron Silk yet? What pound test ranged have you used? What were the bigger fish you've caught them? What was the memory like? The abrassion resistance? You sound like a commercial. "Strong enough for a man but made for a woman..."

I haven't had it in my hand yet let alone fish or get a good bass on it. Notaro - I've fished Big Game for 7-8 years or so - love it. Buy it in 1# spools and reline whenever I feel like it (usually 3 trips or so)

That's NightFighter & Shoremanic's avatar too

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-24-2003, 02:58 PM   #9
Striper SniperX
><(((">

i should be a salesman, huh?

i didnt cstch fish on it but cast very well- had it sitting on my reel for 2 months and im sure there is memory- but i bet it's fishable

im getting a scanner up and runnin' will change my avatar to my 290 # mako....soon. Ok?

mike

"Striper Sniper"

Visit my site at:
Saltwater-Fishing.8k.com
Old 01-24-2003, 03:00 PM   #10
Krispy

are you in the picture?

was it from the 15' Sportfish
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:03 PM   #11
Addicted

I use Berkely Trilene Big Game mono in 15 and 20lb test for plugs(1oz.-3oz.) and soft plastics on 7/8oz jig heads, I use a 30lb leader of the same mono,can anyone tell me if there are any advantages to using a different type of line? Would using flouro increase my casting distance? I'm using Penn SS5500 and 7500 reels.Getting ready to re-spool for the spring and looking for some input.I have no problems with Berkely mono just wondering what the advantages are to the different types of line.
Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:04 PM   #12
Striper SniperX
><(((">

Yes i am in the picture.. was a few years ago at the shark tourny in july.. i didnt reel the fish all the way in cause it drained all my energy after a 100 yard run but we can all keep a secret
even has my name on the chalkboard in the back if ya think i'm kidding, no it wasnt on the 15' on my uncles boat..

i will get it up ASAP- probably by sunday?

bye
mike

"Striper Sniper"

Visit my site at:
Saltwater-Fishing.8k.com
Old 01-24-2003, 03:57 PM   #13
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb

Notaro,

Pretty much what everyone here has been saying.

Personally, I haven't tried the Yo-Zuri hybrid lines. My friends, with whom I fished while spooled up with it - HATED the stuff. As you said, not very smooth, lots of tangles (on spinning gear).

And it's really not that necessary IMHO. Use a section of fluoro leader if you have to.

You can't go wrong with Berkley Trilene mono.

I use that and a line called Sufix Tritanium green mono (especially for powercasting a conventional), which is available at most online superstores (Bass Pro Shops, etc). Tough and economical.

Talk to friends before you try any of the super braids that are out there, especially if $$$ is a consideration. The stuff is expensive.

-WW
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:15 PM   #14
Big Vern
Hooked

Everyone elses experiences seem to mirror my own, but I went in search of a regular line last year, and this is what I learned along the way...

Big Game Green 20 lb. rocks the hut. Probably the best overall mono and line for the money. As far as monos go, I found Ande a little stiff, but they say that pink color is practically invisible underwater. I have all my spinning gear loaded with Big Game. It is a pleasure to fish, and very forgiving on the novice.

Whiplash/Spiderwire Stealth - Best braided lines out there in my opinion. Like any braid, they can be a *little* fussy. Nevertheless, I think braid gives the plug and eel fisherman an inherent advantage due to it's sensitivy and low stretch. Be forewarned though - braid is simply not cool on most spinning reels. The sensitivity comes with the cost of certain line-related reel issues that you will have never seen the likes of if you've never gone braid. That being said, conventional reels seem to facilitate braided line. Aside from the wicked thumb burn, I prefer braid on conventionals, and have mine spooled with Spiderwire Stealth 20 and 35lb test. There will still be times when you don't even want to look the reels spooled with it though.

Power Pro - Should be thrown out. Even in light tests, it...well...it's just terrible all around.

Them hybrid lines (Yozuri etc) - Not cool. 'Nuff Said.

Flourocarbon - I dig it. It is clearly the best leader material. However, it is quite expensive. It's still worth it though, and making regular practice of a snap with make it easier on ye olde wallet. Orvis, Seaguar, and some other company all make great products.

Ironsilk - Haven't used it yet, but I heard it's the bomb. My buddy claims it'll be "The new Big Game". We'll see.
Big Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:08 PM   #15
Goose

BIG GAME GREEN RULES ! ! !
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:26 PM   #16
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

I use big game 20 25 30 40 depending what Im up to.
for leader I like clear and use 50. I have the floro. in I think 50 to its good for clear water, for the most part. But I use the big game . I like the seaguar, I use it in the spring behind morris island.
ssshhhhhhh
I use ande #16 igfa and I love the stuff along with the pink when I dont get big game

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote