Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Tuition: what's wrong with this picture

I heard on the radio the MA Legislature was debating the following: To approve payments at the level of in state tuition at state universities for illegal aliens but only if such illegal aliens were already enrolled in MA high schools for 3 years.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
I heard on the radio the MA Legislature was debating the following: To approve payments at the level of in state tuition at state universities for illegal aliens but only if such illegal aliens were already enrolled in MA high schools for 3 years.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I totally don't agree, I had dinner with Betty Porriea I wish I had known
Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Illegals should not have any rights in this country. You don't have a SS# or a valid Visa then no education, no health care, no workers rights, no rights at all. There is a reason it is called "illegal alien".
Old 01-29-2010, 04:41 AM   #4
Raven

no probs

they just steal SS #/s
Old 01-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Illegals should not have any rights in this country. You don't have a SS# or a valid Visa then no education, no health care, no workers rights, no rights at all. There is a reason it is called "illegal alien".
"Undocumented Americans"....living in the shadows
Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
"Undocumented Americans"....living in the shadows
They are not undocumented, they are in the school system(?) and no they are NOT Americans!

Last edited by PRBuzz; 01-29-2010 at 07:22 AM..

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These proposals come up here and there but the public is pretty overwhelmingly against them. I doubt it will go anywhere.

That being said, if a kid has been in public schools for 3 years in good standing...wouldn't you rather have them continue to be in school to become a more productive part of the workforce rather then hit the street?

-spence
Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

That being said, if a kid has been in public schools for 3 years in good standing...wouldn't you rather have them continue to be in school to become a more productive part of the workforce rather then hit the street?

-spence
yes... The street that leads right back to Mexico
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
they just steal SS #/s
I had a Polish friend back in the 70's that was rotating her family through the US, working just long enough to qualify for SS then they went home. What a deal...
Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
buckman

And according to Obama.... Whatever you owe on loans after 20 yrs of only paying back school loans at a rate pf 10% of your income..... you don't have to pay back. WTF....
Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
These proposals come up here and there but the public is pretty overwhelmingly against them. I doubt it will go anywhere.

-spence
Nope. I'd rather them get shipped right back home and them take the necessary steps to come here.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

My guess, is if you sum 10% of the ave graduates income over 20 years, it is pretty close to the loan amount...
Make 50K/yr - > 5k/yr = 100,000
Make 100k/yr -> 10k/yr = 200,000

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
My guess, is if you sum 10% of the ave graduates income over 20 years, it is pretty close to the loan amount...
I was thinking along the same lines, but then realized that there will be many students who graduate and make significantly less than that. Also, the rate of tuition will most likely continue to increase at a greater rate than entry level salaries. What's the problem with having students pay off their entire loan? My wife worked during college and saved up enough to pay off her entire tuition from Emerson (which was pretty expensive at the time) within a year of graduating. I don't see there being much motivation for paying off loans quickly if they know they won't have to pay the remaining balance after 20 years.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
Joe

What if they want to join the US miltary? Should we let them and give them full citizenship?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

You don't have to be a citizen to join the military....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #16
Joe

I know we don't but should we?
Entrance into a state university (not a community college) is pretty stringent these days. If someone scores high enough on the SAT's to get in, given their background and the language issues, we're passing up the potential of a very smart, motivated young person who wants to work.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Then let him get in the country the proper way and get the proper paperwork.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Entrance into a state university (not a community college) is pretty stringent these days. If someone scores high enough on the SAT's to get in, given their background and the language issues, we're passing up the potential of a very smart, motivated young person who wants to work.
Let them show it by wrking to get into the country LEGALLY.

As for ILLEGAL ALIEN'S rights, they are taking them away from us and giving ours to them.
The state already gives licenses to IA's, free healthcare, subsidized housing and jobs, yet we legal, indigenous residents have to "prove" ourselves worthy to PAY for those same benefits. When did we flip over to the "bizzaro" universe?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
scottw

education is a civil right that everyone is entitled to...it should not be reserved for just the privledged few...we are all citizens of the world....all education universal and universal education for all...it takes a village to educate a village....
Old 01-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
education is a civil right that everyone is entitled to...it should not be reserved for just the privledged few...we are all citizens of the world....all education universal and universal education for all...it takes a village to educate a village....
Why does it have to be my/our village and my tax dollars that educate the world?

Old 01-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #21
scottw

well, we steal all of the world's resources and indiscriminately attack other countries because of our Imperialist tendencies..the least that we could do is educate the people that survive our scourge of the planet....are you against people having education???
Old 01-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #22
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Lets say you go to school for 4 years ( alot of kids go more if you want to make 75K plus)and take out loans of 160K then get a job paying 75k. 10% would be 7500 times 20 years is 125k. So now the originating bank not only does not get any interest but also looses 35k in the deal or is the government going to magically come up with the difference and the interest so the banks can continue to find school lending smart business practice??
Old 01-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #23
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Should we let them and give them full citizenship?
Give ME, give ME, give ME......everybody wants everything GIVEN and no body wants to EARN anything anymore.

Everyone thinks things are "my right" rather than a "privilege earned".

Take, take, take it's MINE........

That should stoke the fires a little.........

Last edited by PRBuzz; 01-29-2010 at 03:19 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #24
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
....are you against people having education???
I am not against education but I am for quality education....our system is buckling trying to provide a quality education for our own citizens let alone the World! Most schools will be forced to work under a 20-40% reduction in budgets for the next few years,, how do you maintain a level of quality when all the programs are forced to cut and class sizes increase. On another topic: teaching to the MCAS is not a quality education (IMO).....read in the Brockton Emptyprise today about science fairs: about half the schools surveyed don't have science fairs either they don't have money/resources or time since a science fair doesn't help them pass MCAS.

Last edited by PRBuzz; 01-29-2010 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #25
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Joe, its sounds like the right thing to do. But resources are limited, we cannot help everyone, why dont we start with helping American citizens first? The decendants of the people who toiled and sacrificed to build this country should not stand in line behind people whose parents jumped a river or snuck across the border.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #26
FishermanTim

Sure, everyone should be allowed to get an education, provided they can AFFORD it. That means playing by the rules, paying tuition, applying for financial aid, and paying ALL, not some/part/none, but ALL of it back.
We legal citizens don't get free college tuition unless we apply ourselves and work for a scholarship. We don't get stuff handed to us as we walk across the border, we pay for it throughout our lives.
Now we will have to pay for THEM through the rest of their lives, and it is wrong!
We aren't allowed to not pay our taxes, so that some poor schmuck that does pay his can pay his and mine now.

My new mantra may soon become :"No hablo englese!"

Keep in mind I have no prejudice towards ANYONE, unless they are taking something that belongs to me, or isn't theirs to begin with.
Then they become a problem that needs solving real fast!
Not a racial, religious or any other "type" of issue, just a personal issue between he/she and myself.

This is why I abhor the current welfare system: it rewards sloth and greed at every level. There is no accountability and no responsibility once a person learns how the "system" works.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #27
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Lets say you go to school for 4 years ( alot of kids go more if you want to make 75K plus)and take out loans of 160K then get a job paying 75k. 10% would be 7500 times 20 years is 125k. So now the originating bank not only does not get any interest but also looses 35k in the deal or is the government going to magically come up with the difference and the interest so the banks can continue to find school lending smart business practice??
You forgot that it would not just be interest being paid back on the loan over the years.I have two in college now and another going next year

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #28
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
You forgot that it would not just be interest being paid back on the loan over the years.I have two in college now and another going next year
I have one in her 3rd year and one going next year. I'm attempting to pay as they go ....so far so good. Next year will get twice as hard
Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #29
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Lets say you go to school for 4 years ( alot of kids go more if you want to make 75K plus)and take out loans of 160K then get a job paying 75k. 10% would be 7500 times 20 years is 125k.
A College Ed-u-ma-ca-shun might help w/ math skills......you need to re-do the math on that 1

Old 01-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #30
Joe

How to amortize a loan is not something you can pick up on the way home listening to the radio.