Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Dual band router question

I just upgraded to the Netgear WNDR3700 dual band router (2.4 & 5 Ghz): 1) it was really easy to install, 2) seems very fast, and 3) permits both hardwire and wireless access. Tired of paying Comcast rent on the older router ($5/month)

I've gone through all the manuals and checked the setting and both wireless outputs seem to be broadcasting, however none of my laptops nor Droid detects the 5Ghz band. The 2.4Ghz is all that is detected.

Is there some newer special devices needed to pickup 5Ghz signals?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
I just upgraded to the Netgear WNDR3700 dual band router (2.4 & 5 Ghz): 1) it was really easy to install, 2) seems very fast, and 3) permits both hardwire and wireless access. Tired of paying Comcast rent on the older router ($5/month)

I've gone through all the manuals and checked the setting and both wireless outputs seem to be broadcasting, however none of my laptops nor Droid detects the 5Ghz band. The 2.4Ghz is all that is detected.

Is there some newer special devices needed to pickup 5Ghz signals?
Not all adaptors are compatable with 5ghz freq. Its the adaptor that needs to be N capable. however because you broadcast duel band your g adaptors will work at the 2.4ghz or 54 vs the 108

What made you settle on Netgear router anyways?
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamskippy View Post
Not all adaptors are compatable with 5ghz freq. Its the adaptor that needs to be N capable. however because you broadcast duel band your g adaptors will work at the 2.4ghz or 54 vs the 108

What made you settle on Netgear router anyways?
I think this is the answer: wifi needs to be A rated, i.e. A/B/G/N not B/G/N. Mine are all old enough to likely be only B/G/N. A = 5ghz

Netgear is what I had and know how they perform, user ratings seemed to be HIGH, and wanted a simple upgrade which it was, within 5 min had it running. I don't consider having the 5 Ghz running an installation issue, that is old laptop(s) issue.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

Skippy's on the mark with this. WIFI has changed significantly over the last 5 years.
Buy some new laptops now. Or some usb wifi gear, or some really long rj45's
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Buy some new laptops now. Or some usb wifi gear, or some really long rj45's
Already have the LONG rj45's but did upgrade the hub to include 1000mbs and bought a Netgear 3100v2 USB adapter for the laptop (5Ghz enabled) from Newegg.com.

Computers are like boats: bring out another thousand!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

WOW! This new netgear 600N 3700v2 dual band router is really, really FAST! Finally got 2 new components:
1) Netgear GS105 hub with 10/100/1000mbs for splitting the wired between computer and Blu-Ray for movie streaming. Tested great, movie broadcast in full HD and no pixelation
2) Netgear 311v2 USB wireless to accept the 5Ghz band. Daughter really likes for music/movie downloads.

Just waiting for the new miniPCI network card for my desktop to accept up to 1000mbs.

Just trying to keep up with the geek speak......

Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

1000mbs is a gig okay. try try
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
1000mbs is a gig okay. try try
Yes 1000 = gig and to be technically correct its a "gbs" for gigabyte/sec!

Just going by the way of the product description using the terms in case anyone interesting in finding similar. Writing it as 10/100/1 doesn't work!

Last edited by PRBuzz; 03-01-2011 at 09:25 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Saltheart

I think you have something backwards. The N is the fastest , the A the slowest.

As I understand it , the dual band Routers have one band optimized for Video apps such as Netflix , the other band is for normal apps like email , ineternet , etc.

Now I got this info because I just set up to get Netflix on a new WiFi built in Blue Ray player. I am using an older Linksys router but the companion router, if I were to buy a new one, for the new WiFI Blue Ray is a dual band router.

So anyway , the part about WiFi is correct , the part about the A vs G or N router is not quite accurate. Also , almost all routers are downward compatible so even if the new dual band is N , it will work with a G router and even a B router . If B though the downloads would be noticeably slow. G is not bad and my new Blue Ray player that prefers and is N does work fine with streaming video using the G linksys.

Anyway , I see a few N dual band routers lately. One is only $49 and that's not on sale. i may buy a new one for N capability if they put that $49 one on sale.

BTW , the best router I ever had is the linksys. the Linksys hardware is excellent although I have to say that after the one year warrantee , they want $30 buck to answere the simplest of support questions. With a new router at $49 (and possibly 29 to 39 on sale) there is no way I would pay their $30 1 time support charge. On top of that the service guy is some Indian with the deep accent who i am sure knows his stuff but you have to keep asking him to repeat what he's saying do to the half indian / half british accent thing. What really bugged me is the $30 is not even for a year of continued support. Its a one time , one problem charge!! Screw them!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

All I know is that a b/g/n wireless would only pick up the 2.4 Ghz signal and not the 5Ghz from the dual band router. The new a/b/g wireless adapter picks up the 5Ghz and SCREAMS!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Saltheart

Yes, a new adapter (assuming its fairly new manufacture and not just "new" to you) would likely be able to pick up the faster signal from the new router. Its just your a/b/g/n descriptionthat sounds odd to me. Maybe you are picking up the 5 GHz band on the wireless G , which is nice. I thought N (which is definitely faster than G) was required.

anyway , glad you now have the screaming fast wireless. It does help a lot for just internet use and as you say , for video its make or break for HD. Although my G is working fine , I do see a new dual band N router in my near future. Its like a new fishing rod. Do you need it? probably no. Do you want it? Always yes. Will you buy it? Probably yes.

Saltheart
Old 03-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #12
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
I

BTW , the best router I ever had is the linksys. the Linksys hardware is excellent
2 years ago before Cisco bought them out i would have agreed with this statement, however they have fallen way behind the times on the functional platforms and honestly they have taken Netgears spot as being horrible.

There are allot more fact and statements behind what i said based upon all the recent testing i have done for my job. We kicked linksys to the curve, at this point there residential stuff can not handle the bandwidth requirements for all the devices customers are trying to run. After all the benchmarking myself and peers have done the D-Link 615 performed very well for a single band router but the 825 rocked the house, the top end Netgear was a close second and it would be splitting hairs with the 825. Netgear's top end model is on the generation 3 platform not the Gen 2 platform allot of other manufactures are.

~just my 2.5 cents
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #13
Saltheart

My Linksys is about 3 years old now so it may be they have slipped as you say.

I had a D-Link about 10 years ago and it worked fine after the installation but it was hard to install.

the Linksys I bought in like 2008 was just lterally plug and play. i didn't do a thing except plug it in and it worked. miracle really!

Lots of other players getting to the game now too besides Linksys , Netgear and D-link. I saw a Visio dual band on the shelf right next to their wireless built in Bue Ray. I have seen a few other brands too recently that I didn;t recognize at all.

Saltheart