Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 03-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

Ipad...what is it good for?

I have one, it was a gift and quite frankly I don't see what the hubbub is all about. Yeah the screen is very nice and some of the apps are cool but it is really a pain to carry around and my phone does the same thing and more.

What are the main uses for an ipad?
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Jim, I dont have one, but I can tell you why I want one.
- I take a train every day to and from work. It would allow me to read newspapers and magazines. There are new online mags coming out all the time targeting the new tablets. this would give me endless reading material which I need
- I want to be able to browse the web on the go in a better format than my phone.
- I like the apps for plans, calendars and notes. I could do my finances and other tasks while sitting on my porch or around the house

- they're cool and hip and the chicks will dig me

If you're looking to unload your gift at a discount, I might take it off your hands......

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

For what I use my laptop for, the Ipad will do it all for half the price...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Half the Price, Really...you sure about that?

iPad - iPad WiFi - iPad WiFi + 3G - Apple Store (U.S.) $499

Newegg.com - DELL Inspiron N5030 (iN5030-2112B3D) Notebook Intel Pentium T4500(2.30GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW Intel GMA 4500MHD $479

just call it what it is......cool...that's what my son and his buddies say at least.

Its a Big IPod Touch....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Oh, I'm not in the market until this laptop crashes.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Backbeach Jake

I see an iPad as a Netbook that doesn't fold up. How close am I?

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
I see an iPad as a Netbook that doesn't fold up. How close am I?
I like my HP Netbook ($399)

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
spence

I love my Ipad. Surfing the net is easy and since it's a PITA to type my S-B posting has dropped dramatically

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
blondterror

I see it as a great way to read stuff... the New York Times has a very good site that is designed around the iPad... not the greatest for typing ... makes you become succient with your responses...

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
decksweeper

I got one for my wife for Valentines day. She loves it....uses as a computer to pay bills and check email. also for the Ipod and movies.... set it up in my kitchen and wired the audio into the ceilling speakers/receiver. one of my better purchaes in a while...
decksweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
Mr. Sandman

Since Christmas it is sitting around getting obsolete... I have computers throughout the house so this sits around and everyone looks at it, and plays with it a little and says...cool! but I don't see what they are good for. I think they came up with this because they wanted a piece of amazons "kindle" market and by making a device that does more than just read books I guess I see its worth. But since I don't read electronic books and really don't listen to ipod music much I see it ending up in the heap of obsolete gadget crap I have in my basement closet. I should have returned it but now that it is used and all set up I will leave it in the kitchen counter and let the kids play with it. I may bring it on the boat and use it to surf the net if I can get free wi-fi someplace.
The chart ap is cool on it but my unit does not have an accurate gps chip like my phone so my phone is actually better.

I loaded the xfinity ap and tried using it as a remote control but I have to upgrade all of my set-top boxes for it to work. You can watch a movie on it if you find a wifi location that allows free streaming video.

I think it is more "hip" than anything else, really not much more useful than what is done via phones and exsisting devices.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
Redsoxticket

It can be used as a closet light with the intensity on high.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
BigBo

I was talking to Navionics rep Jeff Brodeur at the MSBA show. He uses his Ipad as his main GPS. I didn't get into too much depth about the software or apps that he was using as I don't have an Ipad. I was more interested in the Fish N Chips software for my Lowrance. I bought the chip.
His Ipad looked like it was running all the latest Navionics stuff. Looked very cool.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

[QUOTE= I will leave it in the kitchen counter and let the kids play with it. I may bring it on the boat and use it to surf the net if I can get free wi-fi someplace.
[/QUOTE]

or.....you could sell it to me and use the money on something you really want!

(serious offer)

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
I was talking to Navionics rep Jeff Brodeur at the MSBA show. He uses his Ipad as his main GPS. I didn't get into too much depth about the software or apps that he was using as I don't have an Ipad. I was more interested in the Fish N Chips software for my Lowrance. I bought the chip.
His Ipad looked like it was running all the latest Navionics stuff. Looked very cool.
Don't need an iPad unless you want bigger screen, any (I think) smart phone will work. I have it loaded on my Droid as GPS backup. Out of pocket: $10! The Navionics navigational charts seem to have more detail than my Garmin fishing charts.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I have a client that is not a computer super user but has jumped in with his iPad that he uses for presentations, email, web surfing, Dropbox, and all kind of business uses and road trips. And then when home its his main surfing / email device.

Absolutely made him more connected than he was before.

I debated previously on getting one but got an Alienware M11X instead (Dell Scratch & dent with no Scratched or dents) which runs circles around most laptops and desktops. Some of you saw it at the shows. The 8GB ram update with Win7, I can even game on it.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote