Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
stripermaineiac

Talking Spool dimensions

There's been a lot of talk the last yr or 3 about Concept set ups. One of the largest points of it is the spool dimension ie diameter to get the ist point of the choke guide.that's where you start to get your base guide distance and also where you work back for your gathering guides.
There are loads of diff reels out there.How about some of us rod builders that have done more than a few putting what we have for measurements ie spool diameters, out on this site and then maybe one of you guys that know how to use a computer for more than a chat too or deck of cards like me LOL, putting a guideline list of the info together making it a bit easier for those that don't have the resourses of info to give rod building a shot .Just an idea to think about. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
pbadad

I don't either have the literacy of using the computer to it's full extent but give me a little time and I can post a few dimentions for the concepts I've done over the last 3 years. All work excellent with repeat positive feedback.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
pbadad

GSB 1201L- SUSTAIN 6K. BSVLG 40,25,16, 5-10'S. CKR.62.25" STRIPPER 61" FROM TIP
GSB1201L- VS 150. BSVLG 30,20,12, 5-10'S CKR:60.75" STRIPPER 61" FROM TIP.
GSB1201L-VS200. BSVLG 40, 25,16, 5-10'S CHR 69 1/8" STRIPPER 28 5/8"
I WILL GET A COUPLE MORE LATER.

Billy D.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I think using the old formulas is a mistake unless you use old guides.
Take advantage of the loop shedding ability of the newer K guides or LC guides and start with a smaller collector a bit further out. Cone down quick to small runners and you will be amazed at what you get.

The GSB1201L I've been so thrilled with starts with 16M LC and casts better than any other rod I've ever used. http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...lowriders.html
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
pbadad

George, that set up must make the 1201L feel like an M. LOL Seriously I done a few concepts with the L and my own w/a 30mm stripper w/ the remaining set up feels responsive and light. The balance with the VSB 150 is great. I don't throw mine 9' anymore. Love the weight, balance and ability to handle some nice fish. I like to do a 9'L with your steup this winter. How do you feel the power is distirbuted to the butt with the stripper out 38" from stem? Does that calculate to about 35" from spool face extended?

Billy D.