Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Never trust the NOAA forecast

Headed out at 3:00 AM this morning. NOAA forcast said 5 to 10. Got around Warwick Light and it's 3 to 5' blowing 20 to 25 SW. Said OK this isn't so bad and it'll lay down. HAHA!!!

Just north of Hope Island and I'm getting into solid 4' with a 6' here and there with a chop on top because of the tide being opposite the wind. Said screw it and turned back and headed up to Prov. No fish, tough ride and a guest onboard from Cal. He did OK till the ride back then the Ralphs set in.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
fish4striper

I gave up on that site, I use sailflow and buoyweather
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
albin35
Pembroke MA

NOAA
No
Observations
Are
Accurate
albin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Typhoon

I'm heading to the canyons this weekend.... nervous about this

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
tautog

batten down the hatches and don life saving equip we're in for a bit of Mother Nature's bad breath.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPI I cut my deck to the Queen of Spades, but the cards were all the same
tautog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

The Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center (FNMOC) — Naval Oceanography Portal

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Fishoholic

looks pretty light now..

PORTS
Fishoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

How many times are we going to go over this...

1. Check the tide stations and the buoys for actual wind before you leave the dock
2. Use The RI Sound forecast for south of the bridge winds
3. It always feels worse. Conimicut was 15kt gusts this AM. just feels crappy dead up the bay
4. 4-6ft means in the trough you are looking up and just see water higher than your head... we had 6's with some 8's last canyon trip.... trust me that's big. Even in the tide there, 3ft and short spacing can feel big.

I'm just glad you estimate fish size better than wave heights

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

we're gonna go over it as many times as we do every year.

Sailflow, and surfer forecast for swells.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Raven

trust your gut instinct too
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
Nebe

hound... LOL! i was going to bust his chops about that..

I don't think Hope island saw 6 footers in hurricane BOB..
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #12
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
How many times are we going to go over this...

1. Check the tide stations and the buoys for actual wind before you leave the dock
2. Use The RI Sound forecast for south of the bridge winds
3. It always feels worse. Conimicut was 15kt gusts this AM. just feels crappy dead up the bay
4. 4-6ft means in the trough you are looking up and just see water higher than your head... we had 6's with some 8's last canyon trip.... trust me that's big. Even in the tide there, 3ft and short spacing can feel big.

I'm just glad you estimate fish size better than wave heights
1. I did
2. I did
3. You don't get whitcaps at 15KTs
4. When I was in the trought I had waves almost up to the T-Top. Yes, 3AM does make it look worse but it was big none the less.
5. And Nebe, since you are a "yakker" I do not expect any comments from you about what real men do in real boats.

Last edited by piemma; 07-19-2011 at 06:09 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #13
Mr. Sandman

I find it reasonable but at times they have been off a lot, esp way offshore.

One thing to do is look at what is happening now and what is expected to come. it might be 5-10 now with 15-25 with higher gusts tonight and what happens is "tonight" comes faster than anticipated...like later this afternoon.

When I go offshore I check multiple weather sources and assume the worst.

That said, they do get it wrong from time to time....A year or so ago I recall listening to the weather radio while in Atlantis Canyon...they were saying it was 5-10 with 2-4 ' seas and it was to go to light and variable with seas less than 2'. The wind was easy 25 my hat flew off and seas were 10-12. I looked at my buddy and said...do you hear the forecast? what is wrong with this picture??? The next night around 3:00 am it finally dropped to light and variable but it was a difficult afternoon and evening.
Sometimes they are wrong, no question but in general I think they are not all that bad and you have to be ready for when they are wrong and prepare for that.
Weather prediction is more difficult than you think. It is similar to fluid flow prediction which is what I use to to do... Have you heard of the "butterfly effect"?... in theory, a butterfly flapping its wings in china can effect weather systems in the US ...what that means is you really have to model the entire globes atmosphere in fine detail to get anything accurate. If you do that the simulation is so complex and so slow (even with the worlds fastest computers) that the real weather system will come and go before the simulation is complete. So, they "simplify" the computer model and cut a few corners to get results sooner but at a cost of accuracy. This is esp true in hurricane path prediction and they run numerous models to approximate the path but they rarely hit it dead on. In any case... it is better than it use to be.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #14
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
I find it reasonable but at times they have been off a lot, esp way offshore.

One thing to do is look at what is happening now and what is expected to come. it might be 5-10 now with 15-25 with higher gusts tonight and what happens is "tonight" comes faster than anticipated...like later this afternoon.

When I go offshore I check multiple weather sources and assume the worst.

That said, they do get it wrong from time to time....A year or so ago I recall listening to the weather radio while in Atlantis Canyon...they were saying it was 5-10 with 2-4 ' seas and it was to go to light and variable with seas less than 2'. The wind was easy 25 my hat flew off and seas were 10-12. I looked at my buddy and said...do you hear the forecast? what is wrong with this picture??? The next night around 3:00 am it finally dropped to light and variable but it was a difficult afternoon and evening.
Sometimes they are wrong, no question but in general I think they are not all that bad and you have to be ready for when they are wrong and prepare for that.
Weather prediction is more difficult than you think. It is similar to fluid flow prediction which is what I use to to do... Have you heard of the "butterfly effect"?... in theory, a butterfly flapping its wings in china can effect weather systems in the US ...what that means is you really have to model the entire globes atmosphere in fine detail to get anything accurate. If you do that the simulation is so complex and so slow (even with the worlds fastest computers) that the real weather system will come and go before the simulation is complete. So, they "simplify" the computer model and cut a few corners to get results sooner but at a cost of accuracy. This is esp true in hurricane path prediction and they run numerous models to approximate the path but they rarely hit it dead on. In any case... it is better than it use to be.
Great post. Thanks for the clarity

Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #15
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
In the shallow water up there you do.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #16
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
1. I did
2. I did
4. When I was in the trought I had waves almost up to the T-Top. Yes, 3AM does make it look worse but it was big none the less.
5. And Nebe, since you are a "yakker" I do not expect any comments from you about what real men do in real boats.
Don't make me go all sciencey on you

Red arrows are @ 330am. Until 330am you had a ebbing spring tide + 15kts southerly wind = white caps.
Attached Images
File Type: png Newport.png (12.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png Providence.png (12.2 KB, 12 views)

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 07-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #17
Sea Dangles

I always check fishweather for a real time buoy observation. Couple that with NOAA and their guesswork for a good guesstimate.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #18
Typhoon

Which leads me to my Canyon forecast for the weekend

Yes Fishweather says no NW or NE anywhere.

Quote:
FRI
SW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT BECOMING W TO NW 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 4
TO 6 FT.

SAT
NW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT SHIFTING E TO NE. SEAS 4 TO 5 FT.
$$

-Andrew
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #19
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Don't make me go all sciencey on you

Red arrows are @ 330am. Until 330am you had a ebbing spring tide + 15kts southerly wind = white caps.
OK, I yield to the Doctor. I cannot win this battle. The war, perhaps, will be a different matter.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
Which leads me to my Canyon forecast for the weekend

Yes Fishweather says no NW or NE anywhere.

Well, you have a possible monkey wrench thrown in...a dying tropical storm is headed NE offshore, so you will have a larger swell than a normally wind generated one.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
Well, you have a possible monkey wrench thrown in...a dying tropical storm is headed NE offshore, so you will have a larger swell than a normally wind generated one.

I really really want to go....this is the boat we'll be going on. He's run it 22 knots in 6 fters on the way down from Maine.

-Andrew
Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #22
Mr. Sandman

enjoy your trip!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #23
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
hound... LOL! i was going to bust his chops about that..

I don't think Hope island saw 6 footers in hurricane BOB..
Not so sure about that, at least a little further south
zacs was out there the same time I was in 2007, coming in from Narr, under the Jamestown bridge in late Sept. I thought I was done for. Waves looked to me to be 6+ . Every wave was an outloud "f**k" for a few miles. Bow was almost straight up at times and we rode down every wave. If I turned the boat sideways, we would have went over. I'll never forget that. I've been out in Newport with 4 ft swells and it was nothing compared to that day.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #24
Fishoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
zacs was out there the same time I was in 2007, coming in from Narr, under the Jamestown bridge in late Sept. I thought I was done for. Waves looked to me to be 6+ . Every wave was an outloud "f**k" for a few miles. Bow was almost straight up at times and we rode down every wave. If I turned the boat sideways, we would have went over. I'll never forget that. I've been out in Newport with 4 ft swells and it was nothing compared to that day.
I've seen it stand up under those bridges a few times on a good ebb to where it was close to that. But it was when no one had any business being out there and it wasn't quite 6'.. but close.
Fishoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #25
MakoMike

Storm swells will be long period and nothing to worry about, its the wind chop on top that'll make your life miserable.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #26
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Thanks for validating Jim. Nebe would know though. He's the old man of the sea with all his experience in boats on the Bay.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:06 AM   #27
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Thanks for validating Jim. Nebe would know though. He's the old man of the sea with all his experience in boats on the Bay.
He might not, but I know the stretch between the bridge and the Hill better than most...

south of the House on the Rock, w/ a big offshore swell. yes. It can stand up there. North of the bridge, not as much....

My point is still that you guys overestimate wave heights and wind speeds.....

Bryan

Old 07-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #28
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I give up. No mas

Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #29
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:

I give up. No mas
War of attrition...

Next time it's a true 3-5ft outside I'll call you and we'll take a ride

Bryan

Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #30
Nebe

Quote:
In about 5 more years, if you fish every day , you will catch up with my hours of boatng experience in the bay. I lived on a boat for most of my childhood and into my teen years and have sailed on just about every nook and crany of the east and west passage. I've been kayak fishing Newport since the early 90's.. :P I've also done offshore sailing passages that Gould blow your mind. So yes, I do have a little old man of the sea in me.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote