Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
srt44116

Marbling rod finish?

Who here knows how to marbling rod finish works? I have watched youtube vids and they make it seem alot easier than it is. Anyone have a good, How to thread on this?
srt44116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Saltheart

You really need to try practicing on some sections from broken rods or even dowels that you paint and let dry first (paint and dry is seperate and several days before you try marbling. Its just preparing test pieces , broken or cut spare rods sections are better)

Use flexcoat or other faster curing epoxy ginish (high build) as this wil keep your marbling patterns distinct. if you use aftcote or similar slow cure , the marbling will diffuse into the base coat and look different. notice i said different because its not nescessarily ugly. In fact I like some of the diffused marbling looks. Anyway , this is just another example of why you need to play around on test pieces to see how what you do looks like after the process is complete.

other than practice , the only other big issue is exactly when to apply the marbling to the base coat. For sharp marbling lines you want the base coat set up stiff but still levelable. For the more diffuse look you want it more liquid and for very diffuse you go for the slow setting finishes.

Practice, trial and error on test pieces , is what will make you successful the first time you do one that counts on a finished rod.

Oh , start with just an easy section like a foregrip etc. Leave doing between guide feet , etc for when you are good enough not to have to ask how to do it.!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
srt44116

Thats what i was planing on doing. I have played around with a few test on a old rod and found it not to be verry hard, BUT hard to get the color combonations to work well. I just picked up a handfull of pigments and plan on trying a few more, might marbel a rod tonight if i can get the courage up to figure out a good color combo.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
srt44116

Well here's the go at it! Came out better than i expected.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Saltheart

Looks Good!

Saltheart
Old 10-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
srt44116

Just trying out some color combos, I find it works best if i put down a layer of wet rod finish with some white added in, Then i just add color drops to that and go from there, I am going to do this whole rod, Diffrent combonations betten each guide, Wont be a nice rod but sure will be unique.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Saltheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt44116 View Post
Just trying out some color combos, I find it works best if i put down a layer of wet rod finish with some white added in, Then i just add color drops to that and go from there, I am going to do this whole rod, Diffrent combonations betten each guide, Wont be a nice rod but sure will be unique.

Putting down wet finish with color pigment added is how it all starts. You should play with other base coat pigments besides white.

personally I think a whole rod marbled will look atrocious but matters of taste cannot be disputed.

f you search for Rod Marbling , you will see lots of examples with different base coat colors and different marbling colors added. i like the typical swirls , etc but I also like a bold pattern like a smudge with a contrast color in it or a metallic ring like area with colors inside. Anyway , you need to expand your world beyond just a white base coat!

Saltheart