Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 11-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
SurfCaster413

Deer On Nantucket

Anybody know any info about hunting over there. I always wanted to go any info would be great.
SurfCaster413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
Rob Rockcrawler

I dont know anything about hunting nantucket, but there are regs regarding it in the hunting abstracts i believe. I have always wanted to hunt on block. There are a ridiculous amount of deer out there.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Hookedagain

I used to hunt Nantucket 20 years ago. We were down around the airport. Most of the summer homes are boarded up for the winter so they are not considered an "occupied dwelling". Always had great success, but much smaller than the main land. Lots of antler though, all the salt yhet injest help with antler growth. I didn't make the arrangements so I can't help you there but we went with 10-12 guys and stayed at one of the guys Aunts house.

There is a load of deer on the Island. When we were going it was "Unlimited Does"!!
Shoot a doe get another doe tag, shoot a doe get another doe tag, but shoot a buck and the doe tags stop. Could'nt even tell you how many deer were shot those years.

Its alot of fun out there....enjoy it!
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Piscator

My buddy went 3 weeks ago for a week. 7 guys went an the did very well. Don't know the specifics but he said it was great. He said it was unlimited Doe's"

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Soundbounder

Block Island also has an overabundance of deer.

Just read this today:

"Members of the Rhode Island staff traveled to Block Island Wednesday to gather feedback at a public forum that evening. Though those who attended had plenty to say about the problems deer are causing here — tick-borne diseases, shrubbery destruction, car accidents — the turnout was low, with only about 30 members of the public there. Among them were three hunters from Massachusetts, two of whom hunt Block Island every year. They came to register their disapproval of the new local requirement limiting the number of bucks that can be taken. Keith Cabral said his hunting party usually takes 27 to 30 deer a season, but this year they won’t stay their usual two weeks. Suggesting the rule be changed, he said, “I’ll shoot a doe for every buck,” but he added he does not like to shoot does, as they are often young."

Deer hunting at wildlife refuge likely to follow local guidelines - Judy Tierney - Block Island Times - News, Classifieds, Events and Business in Block Island, RI
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
maddog2020

LOTS and LOTS of TICKS over there so be careful. Lymes Disease is NO joke.

Island is over loaded with deer - most aren't that big due to over crowding. A former co-worker of mine, his brother is pretty bad off due to Lymes Disease - his family lives on Nantucket.
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote