Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
tradrodz

9'er recommendations

I'm looking for a 9' rod for next season for lighter stuff, bombers bucktails poppers sluggos etc. to plug the beach and breachways with. I was thinking along the lines of a GSB 1081 L or GSB 1081 M, I'd like something light enough to throw smaller baits but powerfull enough to turn a large fish. Would the GSB be a good choice? Also I will most likley be using this for the spring run in the Ct river (Enfield dam area) Please give me some input

Thanks, Matt
tradrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
iamskippy

81 L is a amazing rod. I have had other GSB'S as well and loved them. I dont think you could go wrong with that choice.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

was looking for the same thing, but im going to go with the century 10 ft, that saltheart is doing the rod building class with.

got to fish one in block, super light but lots of back bone, so thin i was worried about fishing it, but its incredible for lighter stuff and still managed to throw decent sized riggies, but redfins, northbars and ss needles are its bread and butter in my opinion.

I have two 9 ft rods now and rarely use them, so Ill get more use with the 10ft.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Rob Rockcrawler

Hijack alert, how is the century for throwing eels?

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
stripermaineiac

That GSB1081l is the balls. Love the thing for bass,blues an albies. Put a shimano stradic5000 or a small cabo with 20lb braid an you'll love the thing.Ive built 4 for me an my kids and many others . Fun rod with loads more powr than you'd think. fun to fish too.
Rob the Century's 10 ft 6 an 10 ft both work great for eels.The 11 is a bit heavy.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Something to consider

I am a big fan of moderate action GSB rods and I've got a GSB 1081L and GSB 1081M, (as well as an XRA1083).......all wrapped conventional. I like them all. That said, however, I think you might do well to check out some faster action rods in the 9 foot range as well. I know Flap used a light 9 foot Loomis that always impressed me. I think both CTS and Century make 9 foot 2 piece blanks. There are also a couple of St Croix options I've not cast.

My thought here is that, when using spinning tackle with shorter rods and lighter lures, blanks with faster action than the GSB series give you better distance and fish handling mid-shaft power.
As I see it the real strength of the GSB rods is when you are throwing heavy stuff in difficult terrain using long rods, or when you want to throw a wide range of stuff with a single rod. Then their toughness, versatility, and comfort become major benefits that offset any loss of distance or lifting power the softer action causes.

That said, I am pretty sure you would be very happy with a GSB1081L wrapped as a light spinner. Just that there are plenty of other good options out there, too.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

I used to detest 9' rods for anything except my spring fishing on the Connecticut River where a shorter rod is necessary. They each seemed to excel in one area, but fall short in others. I played around with several different blanks as I needed a rod for river fishing that was light enough to throw all night, could handle lighter stuff like unloaded redfins up through about 3.5 ounce pencil poppers, and still had the backbone to stop a decent fish in a raging current. The All Star 1088 was to fast for eeling, the old PacBay 1088 didn't have enough backbone for me, the gsb1081l didn't have the nut to turn anything over 20's in heavy current, and I broke 4 rainshadow 1088's. After trying a few different rods, I ended up wrapping a gsb1081m. I have taken fish to 38#'s on the rod without any trouble, yet it is light enough to throw all night and can toss Finnish swimmers just as well as it can throw a live eel or large pencil. I have beaten the crap out of the rod, and it just keeps on going. If you are looking for a great all around 9' blank, I highly recommend that one. I plan on wrapping a 9' St Croix Legend rated for 1 - 4 ounces this winter as I have heard nothing but praise for the similar 9' mojo. I really wish St Croix would start selling the Mojo blanks as it is tough to cough up the $$ for a Legend.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
ivanputski
Pete K.

9' rods are great and if you have the right one can be a great all-around rod, allowing you to throw lighter plugs, eels, 3 oz plugs all night and still have the backbone to turn a big fish. My personal best was on a 9' rod in a nor-easter. That said, I would recommend the GLB 108mh. You really cant go wrong with any of the mentioned rods, but I would honestly recommend finding people who actually have them, and talking a test cast with any rod you might buy. We all have different ideas of what an ideal action is, so buying strictly on someone else's opinion can be a costly mistake.

Last edited by ivanputski; 12-11-2011 at 08:53 AM..
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanputski View Post
I would recommend the GLB 108mh.
Interesting tidbit, the gsb1081m & glb1081mh are the same exact blank. It's just Lami trying to pull a fast one over on us.

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
rockyroady

I remember a thread where a GSB 1201L cut from both ends was discussed. Supposedly good for light stuff and ballsy for large fish. At the time I told myself it would be my next rod.
rockyroady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
ivanputski
Pete K.

Toby... That is interesting! I often wondered why no one I talk to has ever heard of the GLB! That blank rules
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
toaster816

I'm having a mb1083m built over the winter. Will be great for light bucktails, tins, redfins, bombers.

Get busy livin'...or get busy dyin'...
toaster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Here is another option that might be worth a look if you want a light 9 foot rod. I have no experience with these blanks, but their rods in general get rave reviews on the west coast sites. Inshore Series : Phenix Rods & Accessories

Here is another link. Lots of options, but no experience and their site doesn't tell you much about lure range.
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...Diamond-Series
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
striperswiper75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroady View Post
I remember a thread where a GSB 1201L cut from both ends was discussed. Supposedly good for light stuff and ballsy for large fish. At the time I told myself it would be my next rod.
I have a GSB120L cut 3" at the tip and 3" at the base. I love that rod. It will throw a 6 inch bomber, a loaded redfin up to a 3oz 40 with relative ease. Also tosses a rigged or live eel well; and the whole time it has the ability to turn a fish in every instance I have come across. I plan on making another one this winter as a backup from the 120L blank.

I also built a couple 9' rods on the Lami GLB120-2MH blank. I didn't really get a chance to use them much in the surf this year, but did get to use them in the Housy in April and May. It threw bombers ok, sluggos and juniors slightly better. I didn't take any large fish on it but it seemed to have plenty of backbone.

It all started last year during a terrible thunderstorm, when I locked myself out of the house. Shelving myself with a large piece of sheet metal, I ran for cover under the tallest tree I could find!
striperswiper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
fcap60
Frank Capone

I have 2 GSB 108 1Ms (spin and conventional).

I'l looking to trade off the spin and pick-up a 108 1L for the reasons you posted (lighter lures, bucktails, etc) and I would also consider something in the 8` range.

The 108 1Ms are really nice for eels and plugs in the 2oz and up range, but I'm looking for a "lighter rod"
fcap60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
pbadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcap60 View Post

I'l looking to trade off the spin and pick-up a 108 1L for the reasons you posted (lighter lures, bucktails, etc) and I would also consider something in the 8` range.

The 108 1Ms are really nice for eels and plugs in the 2oz and up range, but I'm looking for a "lighter rod"
You tired of catching "BIG FISH" LOL

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
tradrodz

Thank's for the advice, my GSB 1201m is an awesome stick! thats why I was thinking along the lines of a GSB 1081l but if this thing has no balls in heavy current I'm probably gonna go with the GSB 108M and a Stradic 5k or something along those lines. I appreciate your feedback.

Thank's Matt
Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
Clogston29
xxx

gsb1081m is a great blank. what tlapinski said above is pretty much right on. great for plugs from 1 to 4 oz, live eels, small riggies, rigged sluggos, etc.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
rickhern

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
Interesting tidbit, the gsb1081m & glb1081mh are the same exact blank. It's just Lami trying to pull a fast one over on us.
Same blank but the glb used to be priced $10 or $15 less

Mudhole also sells the exact same blank with their name on it for around $60 I believe and mudhole's warranty is better than Lami's.
rickhern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #20
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
They rate the glb 3 1/2. I threw 3 1/2 on my gsb all the time. Everything else about them is identical, diameter, tip, weight etc. I have not ever been able to verify they are the same, but I can't find anything that can disprove they aren't. As an aside, my favorite rod to fish LIS or anytime I don't need to land 40lbs in current is the glb961mh. Awesome small rod. Don't even kow if they make it anymore though.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #21
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcap60 View Post

If you want lighter the glb 961mh is great. The 1081m is not a bear by any means, but the 961mh is even lighter and I like it much better for smaller bucktails, sluggos, yozuri darters, red fins, 1oz little neck poppers and alot of the other lures I fish. I have landed several 35lb range fish in the rivers here in the spring on it. I almost never fish my 1081m anymore since if I am throwing rigged eels, bigger lures or need even more backbone, I go to my 1205 cut to 9 1/2. For Matt's purposes, the 1081m is a great choice. If you have a 1081m, but actually want lighter and smaller spinner, but still strong enough for big fish, the 961mh is ideal.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #22
Saltheart

Big Difference between a GSB 1081L and the GSB 1201L. The 1081L is a light rod for stuff like bombers from the beach. The 1201L is much more rod. Its my opinion that people way underestimate the capabilities of the GSB1201L.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #23
agsurfr

I have a 9' Mojo rated 1-4. Fast rod, pretty stiff, concept guide layout, very light weight. Bought the rod because it was a good deal, not because I needed a 9' 2 pc. Didn't even take the tags off for 4 months. When I finally decided to put a reel on it, I fell in love the first night out.

I'd say 4oz is a little ambitious but I can throw 3 oz without issue. Not my first choice for live eels, but it's been great everywhere else. Landed a few good fish in some nasty, rocky surf, no problems. Nice rod, nice warranty, price is acceptable.

my 2 cents

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
DEMOTIVATORS®
agsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
Saltheart

Forgot about the CSB 108 2M. 2piecer though. There is also the XRA 1084

Saltheart
Old 12-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #25
tradrodz

Sorry for the newbie question but the CSB is a Lami correct? also does Lami still make the GLB blanks? I never really see them around, how hard would one be to come by? Thanks again
Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #26
stripermaineiac

Now that's the right question to ask. Gonna be a trickto find someone that still has some.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #27
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrodz View Post
Sorry for the newbie question but the CSB is a Lami correct? also does Lami still make the GLB blanks? I never really see them around, how hard would one be to come by? Thanks again
The glb1081mh is a "special order" blank in that they have to remove the gsb1081m sticker and replace with the glb sticker. You want to just order a gsb blank, and most shops selling rod building supplies carry it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

- a wise man.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #28
tradrodz

Gottcha, Thanks Toby
Old 12-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #29
Saltheart

Yes , CSB is a lami. It combines Graphite and glass layers. Some guys love the feel the two types of fibers give the blank.

GSB--Graphite Surf and Bar
CSB--Composite Surf and Bar

Saltheart
Old 12-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #30
Vogt

I absolutely LOVE my GLB-1081mh for plugging and riggies. This is the rod that usually gets the nod on any given night for me.

BUT, in my honest opinion it is a terrible live eel stick. It casts them pretty poorly, and I've dealt with loosing quite a few eels to "cast offs". If the rod needs to double duty as a plug and live eel rod, go in a different direction. If you're married to the idea of a 9', a GSB-1201L or even an M cut from the ass makes a great eel/plug combo rod.
Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote