Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Never a good time for this

I am going to have to replace our furnace in the very near future.... Started to smell oil fumes through the vents, and it is the heat exchanger leaking. Smart way to do it is add the coil to the unit so I can hook up central AC later, along with upgrading the electrical service and a new box. Have to figure out how to finance this one....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
vineyardblues

plastic or cash

Mine is over due and I am just going to pay for it will my college fund account
when it dies
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Sea Dangles

I have a very strong smell of oil in my basement for a few days now. Hoping it doesn't mean replacement but the unit is 30 years old. I had it cleaned last year and service is coming next week to check it. Gas is not available on my street and I don't think there have been notable improvements in oil burners. Maybe 5/0 will know of some good options as far as brands go.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
spence

When I did mine I went with Buderus on the recommendation of my installer. Cost a bit more but its been a champ and pretty efficient.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
striperman36
Old Guy

Blonde terror has an awesome gas install
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Raven

just an FYI - but once we had a serviceman change out
the jet on the furnace for a larger one and that is what started the
oil fumes deal. Not at this location... but now, i always specifically
ask the technicians if their planning to do that and say-> don't.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Sea Dangles

The unit in my cellar is dual fuel. Can heat with wood/coal or oil. The brand is Hoval, made in a European country(Czech?) with a Riello burner (Italy). I'm sure at the time it was top notch. Huge unit,we should gain some space if it needs replacing.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

PM Bob 5/0. He will help you out.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Backbeach Jake

My co-worker had his boiler blow up this week. Has a woodstove backup thank God. Still cold showers until it's repaired. No thanks..
We had ours rebuilt this Fall, about 800 bucks. Happy so far.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
When I did mine I went with Buderus on the recommendation of my installer. Cost a bit more but its been a champ and pretty efficient.
Great boiler,,,, I went to their NH facility many years ago for a week of training,,,, good stuff...

The Germans are so far ahead of the U.S. in terms of efficiency....

Viessmann is another good one,,, but pricey,,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
ecduzitgood
time to go

Have you considered a pellet stove? I have seen a boiler that can be put into a pellet stove and plumbed into an existing hot water heating system. I think it was $1500 to get the boiler conversion setup.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

They should be able to tell you before you buy it how efficient it is. Do an energy audit first and they might have some incentives available, not sure how Mass works. Salty might know.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
5/0
Eels

I would go with N Star or Columbia Gas these guys bought in huge bulk from quality manufactures,they will pull all permits and do the whole job cheaper than what I could get the unit for.
I know you had mentioned that you have oil for heat I'm sure these guys offer gas or oil units.
These guys also offered huge rebates for high efficiency units this is something to look into,meaning I would go the extra mile to buy the highest efficient unit they offer.
Good luck!

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Well, we've been nursing it along...with thermostat at high 50s and CO2 detectors, as the leak in the heat exchanger has been giving off slightly more fumes.

But today I scored a furnace! Williamson oil fired warm air furnace Low Boy. It was installed less than two years ago, and the homeowner died. House has been sold and new owner is converting to gas. Went with my installer to pick it up and it is in the garage. Was the exact furnace he had spec'd for my replacement. Dusty, but basically next to new! $200.00

Plan is to install within the week, estimate is $600 tops, including sheet metal guy for new plenum. Carlin EZ1 burner, three speed blower, so can add AC at a later date. Feel like I just hit a scratch ticket for a couple grand!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
Night Shift

Nice score! You just saved yourself alot of cabbage and did so with very little headache. A very rare combo.
Night Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Good for you Ross
you deserve a break
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
Raven

wow nice score Ross good for you brotha
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
tysdad115

Very nice Ross.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #19
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Well, we've been nursing it along...with thermostat at high 50s and CO2 detectors, as the leak in the heat exchanger has been giving off slightly more fumes.

But today I scored a furnace! Williamson oil fired warm air furnace Low Boy. It was installed less than two years ago, and the homeowner died. House has been sold and new owner is converting to gas. Went with my installer to pick it up and it is in the garage. Was the exact furnace he had spec'd for my replacement. Dusty, but basically next to new! $200.00

Plan is to install within the week, estimate is $600 tops, including sheet metal guy for new plenum. Carlin EZ1 burner, three speed blower, so can add AC at a later date. Feel like I just hit a scratch ticket for a couple grand!
Now you won't have to wear clothes in the house, nice score.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
JamesJet

Nice to hear, sometimes you get lucky!
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

that's where all my appliances come from, it's all worth a fortune new and not sh-t used.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #22
PaulS

Nice!!!
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #23
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Great Ross.. lost my gas furnace a few yrs. ago, dead of winter ..... $ 2500.00 on the plastic ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #24
Matt D

Anybody got any good suggestions for a propane furnace? No natural gas available. Heat 100% with a woodstove now but I'm not getting any younger and it's a lot of work. Wife doesn't like registers in the rooms so I'll probably do forced air. Might want a combo system w/ A/C but don't really need it. A window unit in the bedroom has been fine for the few days it's needed here. Was thinking of doing radiant heat from the cellar awhile ago but never seriously pursued it.
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #25
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

MattD, try giving 5/0 a PM with your query, or post it up in the DIY.

My unit is in. Completed yesterday. Just in time for the heat outdoors... But I can add A/C to it when I get caught up with work and bills.
So the total for the furnace:
Furnace and burner $200
Tinknocker, install, and removal $750
Oil hook up and electrical $135
So $1085 all in.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #26
Raven

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Anybody got any good suggestions for a propane furnace? No natural gas available. Heat 100% with a woodstove now but I'm not getting any younger and it's a lot of work. Wife doesn't like registers in the rooms so I'll probably do forced air. Might want a combo system w/ A/C but don't really need it. A window unit in the bedroom has been fine for the few days it's needed here. Was thinking of doing radiant heat from the cellar awhile ago but never seriously pursued it.
you should see the rocket stove on permies.com
when i move to my farm this is the way i'll heat .... Most wood stoves heat up fine but the majority of the heat goes right up the flu pipe.
The rocket stove sends it around awhile then vent's it using about one 5th the wood. Just a thought.
I will still have a GAS back up on a thermostat for when i am away from home.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Now that we've actually had a call for some heat, I wish we had replaced that furnace years ago.... The difference with the new blower is night and day. Old blower was belt drive, and I wonder if it was working at all... The whole house heated up in minutes, even far rooms at the end of the line that were always cold. Seems silly to be so satisfied with something like improved heating, but we are.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #28
5/0
Eels

Nice Ross glad to hear you got it done and it's working,if you need any help or questions for your AC let me know I'll help in any way that I can.

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #29
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Thanks, you're on. She's already asking me about the AC.... Need to upgrade electrical service, then figure what coil, condenser and install will run... Going to hook up to current duct system as is, and will add higher returns as necessary. Let me know when you are up this way.