Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
basswipe

Anyone else laid-off?

After 18 very loyal years got the axe last Wed.When a company can cut its bids in half by going into construction management and sub out all the work to smaller companies who do nothing but employ foreigners my days were numbered.Plus the fact that the entire housing industry has been flushed down the crapper by Washington doesn't help the situation.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Sorry to hear this Norm. I have been laid off twice in the past decade so I feel you pain.

If it ever happens again it will be my last as I will find a way to work for myself.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
spence

That sucks. At least you have some interesting beer for the game.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Raven

Handyman was charging 52.00 an hour and getting it
when times were good...
sure, no new houses are getting built
but there's plenty that were built numerous decades ago
so turn your experience into that which qualifies you
just beware of the "magic wand syndrome" because
on even small jobs a homeowner is clueless what it takes
time-wise to make it happen
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

sorry to hear that Norm
cutthroat competition is hard on everyone

maybe a group of you ex-employees can band together and have your company sub the work to you instead of unknowns
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I've been laid off a couple of times too..everytime though something good did come around.

Have a few Pops, tie one on and things will get better.

we have faith in you

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I work for myself and it has been very slow for nine weeks. A couple half day jobs, half a dozen bids, and some shop work has been it during that time. Driving around and talking at the lumber yard it seems it has been mostly big projects getting underway. But the phone has begun to ring, so have next week booked and am bidding a kitchen and a bath.
Norm, if you have a truck or a van, I would urge you to have it lettered or get a magnetic sign made. That visibilty and site signs have helped. Since you were laid off, you don't have a noncompete... so make a list of all the jobs you can remember and somehow let them know how to reach you now. I'm doing a mailing to past clients in the next two weeks to keep me in mind for any and all projects they may be considering and enclosing a business card. My sign and lettering girl is bombed with work from guys laid off and going out on their own. She is getting calls to do boats already too.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
vineyardblues

Sorry to hear this , been down that road several times as well .
I am working for a fraction of what I got paid before but it's a job and I have a daughter in college so we make things work out for the best .
Ross and the others have good advice,
Get out of bed /shower and stay in a healthy state of mind is my advice

VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
BigBo

Maybe you can take the opportunity to learn a new trade. Like jimmy z did. He went out and got his CDL license. Get into something totally different where there are new doors to open.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Laid off here... I have been for a few years. collected for a very short time then started my own business... Not one to welch off the system.

My career field has been very tough to get back into. It has been and still is consolidating with limited recalls and major consolidation...

It has been tough.. The business I started requires a minimum of 12 hours a day with many days over 16 hours, 7 days a week and still taking phone calls as late as 9 pm. It surely is not an easy way to make a living nor does it pay well but it helps me get by...

The good side is I have been able to help my dad who had a major stroke shortly after I was laid off and has been in a wheelchair with left side complications. Everyday I help him get dressed and off to endless physical therapy and doctor appointments. My mom is a trooper but there is only so much she can do.

As far as the business end... I have made some great friends and met some fantastic people. For that I am greatful.....
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
PaulS

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck finding something else.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
As far as the business end... I have made some great friends and met some fantastic people. For that I am greatful.....
Am I in that group
Old 01-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Am I in that group
Yes....
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
Yes....
Old 01-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Slingah

Sorry to hear that Norm. After 30 years as a painter I recently switched careers and the future is looking bright. I was getting tired of loosing jobs and the fight was gone to try and compete in this market. I actually love to paint and who knows what the future holds, but for now I am done.
Good luck and keep the faith.

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #16
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingah View Post
Sorry to hear that Norm. After 30 years as a painter I recently switched careers and the future is looking bright. I was getting tired of loosing jobs and the fight was gone to try and compete in this market. I actually love to paint and who knows what the future holds, but for now I am done.
Good luck and keep the faith.
I here that.I'm burnt out on painting.

I've a ton of experience in custom finishes and restoration.Maybe I can parlay something out of that and stay away from painting for awhile.But for now I'll collect for a bit and get a few things done around the house.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
fish4striper

Norm,

Sorry to hear that. I cringe every time we have a layoff at work. GL to you in whatever direction you take.
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
Saltheart

I got laid off along with over 5000 people at my old company. Try finding a job when you are almost 60. Anyway, after looking a while I couldn't find a job i liked so I decided to just retire. if the economy comes back and there are more/ better opportunities I would work but other than that I think my working days are over.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
redlite

Been laid off

Since Nov. 1 2010....Over a year of collecting. Just got my last 11 week extension..after waiting 4 HRS to see someone.....the reports on tv that unemploymet is down is absolute BS. There were so many f'n people at the Fall River office last week i thought there were gonna be riots...Don't know what I gonna do if that runs out and I still no have job.
It is a tough world out there. I have an excellent resume and experience. Problem as I told the unemployment lady is there is no incentive to even find a job. I have been on interviews for jobs that 2 yrs ago would start at 60k, that are now starting at 32k......I make almost that much sittin on my arse at home with my daughter. Why get a job to work 40+ hrs a week, commute costs, and deal with a-holes for a little more momey than I make on unemployment when I'd just end up shellin it out in day care.......Sux. Good luck.
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #20
basswipe

Haven't even collected my first UI check yet and the arguing has already started.Great.....looks like its going to be a much longer Winter than usual.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Joe

Tough time of year to get laid off. It's probably going to be a while. Try to dream up a "Scam B"

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
Backbeach Jake

Your understanding of paint and coatings is valuable, look to market your expertise. There's got to be a supervisory position somewhere for you.
I feel for all those laid off. It's an identity crushing experience. Especially if you've held a position for years. I lost a job that I'd held for 25 years. That was a real mind-xxxx, if you know what I mean. You know you're a valuable and knowledgeable employee, a rare breed these days. There something good for you out there, don't doubt yourself, ever, you're good at what you do, as bleak as things may seem,there is something even better than before for you. My best wishes and best of luck for you.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Happened to me many, many years ago. I was selling software and got laid off because I told the owner off, (but that's another story).

I put a magnetic sign on my truck and started advertising in the local weekly papers. Spring cleanup, yard work. Well I got a couple of jobs and while on those jobs, I started getting work from other people in the neighborhoods where I was doing a cleanup. "I need a window replaced. Can you replace some shingles on my roof?"

Fortunately I am real handy and have done just about everything, including building an addition and garage by myself so within 2 months I had more work than I could handle.

Keep the faith man. Just get up everyday and try to think of a new way to make money.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #24
5/0
Eels

I was laid off,well the whole Co. closed!I worked for a printing Co. for 12 years,right out of college,it was a very good job,hours and money were great,but like they say nothing last for ever.
In the 12 years I worked there,thier was 11 guys in my department before the doors closed there was only three of us,that wasn't by design but the technology changed everything we just didn't need the man power.
I had realized that all of these changes took place in such a short time frame what's going to happen when I'm fifty?
I felt that printing would be pretty much history and the amount of people looking for a job in printing industry would be very tough......

I knew at this time I had to change careers,which I did. At first it sucked financially,time away from my family the walls came in close but I was able to survive with the support, focus and drive from my wife.
Financially I'm not close to where I was,but I know that in time I will, but most of all I have a good job & I can provide for my family.The road has been long I've hit the book's for four years, night school I've received as many certificates that I can obtain and took any opportunity that presented itself.My current employer has sent me to Tennessee,South Carolina,New York and a bunch of different place's here in MA.for training I'd be a fool not too.

Being unemployed suck's it's a hit to the ego but the silver lining is, it will put what really matters in your life into perspective,it's a sobering experience,but it made me the A hole I'am today

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #25
cheferson

Im planning to go back to school hopefully in the fall or maybe ease into PT this summer . I have no idea for what , but I have to do something . Tired of cooking and seasonal lay offs , now with a baby I don't wanna go through this anymore.....
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #26
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I've been laid off 3 times in my life....and left one job because I saw the writing on the wall. One door closes and another one opens......just hang in there....something will happen for you

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #27
Ryan560

I've been laid off for 2 1/2 years, During that time I have worked about 4 "temp to hire" jobs that never took me on after the 90 days..For the past 6 months I've been helping a friend who's also laid off do some handyman and tree work jobs, because I can't even get an interview anywhere. Wish ya the best of luck, stay positive something will turn up
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #28
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

We work with a great guy and talented wood worker in Taunton for all our custom AV cabinet needs. The guy is old school trained and a true craftsman. Why I bring this up is he is a one man show and takes all his pieces to Boston for painting and finishing. I bet he would love to be able to keep that in house. If you want to know more about this guy PM me. He's a really laid back guy and is a good friend. he's really busy right now too.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #29
basswipe

Looks like I'll be back to work on or around the 27th.The company landed a high end restoration job and actually need people who know what they're doing.

Wonder if I can get a raise out of this?........Probably not!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #30
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Looks like I'll be back to work on or around the 27th.The company landed a high end restoration job and actually need people who know what they're doing.

Wonder if I can get a raise out of this?........Probably not!
Ask what cam they say?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote