Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 01-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

How much thread?

Another question.

How do I determine how much thread I need?

I hate running out of thread while I'm tying jigs, but it's not an issue cause I usually only use two colors and have a lot of them in house.

I want to buy enough to do an 11ft surf rod, concept guide layout.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Chef

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Saltheart

All that will be discussed at the rodbuilding class but a short answere is to buy a 1 OZ spool (will do several rods and you almost always use black of size A black and the smallest spool of each color you want to add in. Now you can use size D or C in black but the work will look better if you use A.

Typical....a 1 OZ spool of black size A , a small spool of gold metallic...maybe a smalll spool of gold verigated.

With this you can build several rods with gold and black guide wraps and a nice gold and black cross wrap.

At the first class we will discuss what colors you want and I will get them for the following class where we'll start talking about wrapping. First class will be pretty busy and we will discuss a lot of stuff but only put the butt section wrap on and mount the reel seat. It will kill the whole time getting 7 peoples reel seats mounted

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote