Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

crazy!!

Stopped at a dunkins/tedeschi this morning and had a woman in a late model S series Benz ask me how to get to the food stamp office on ocean drive? Seriously

I am the man in the Bassless Chaps
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Stopped at a dunkins/tedeschi this morning and had a woman in a late model S series Benz ask me how to get to the food stamp office on ocean drive? Seriously
No surprise to me. When I was an EMT, we'd go to people's houses for emergency calls and there'd be a BMW in the driveway, huge flat screen tv, expensive living room set.... yet their health insurance was Medicaid.

A while back I saw a woman at Stop & Shop in front of me at a self-checkout line buy a pack of gum with her EBT card (government issued assistance) and get $60 cash back. Then, in disbelief, we watched her walk straight up to the customer service desk and buy a carton of cigarettes.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

I was disgusted
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Redsoxticket

Asking for directions to the food stamp office while driving a Benz may not appear as it seems.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
Asking for directions to the food stamp office while driving a Benz may not appear as it seems.
Yes, the Escalade was having custom rims and a booming system installed.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Redsoxticket

Maybe the Escalade was hand delivering the application or picking one up for a family member.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Joe

When I first started seeing an account, I was paying a lot in taxes. I didn't really have my s___ together when it came to playing the write off game.
What really hammered it home for me was when my account shook his head and said, "Joe, I got guys coming in here with similar circumstances and income, and when it all shakes out, they're going to get a 5,000 tax refund and you aren't."
That was one of the top ten motivators in my life. I felt like a fool on the way home.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
Sea Dangles

Seldom will you see an accountant willing to risk their license so a client will profit from deception.Your in good company,I guess.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
No surprise to me. When I was an EMT, we'd go to people's houses for emergency calls and there'd be a BMW in the driveway, huge flat screen tv, expensive living room set.... yet their health insurance was Medicaid.

A while back I saw a woman at Stop & Shop in front of me at a self-checkout line buy a pack of gum with her EBT card (government issued assistance) and get $60 cash back. Then, in disbelief, we watched her walk straight up to the customer service desk and buy a carton of cigarettes.

Where were you an EMT ?
And did you have to wear a bullet proof vest ?
Guy who is driving one my plow trucks this year used to be in Boston (Dorchester) and I never imagined an EMT having to wear one to help people with health problems or possible dying till he told me some stories, thats crazy !

And as for the welfare topic, gotta love the Gimme Girls !!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Yes, the Escalade was having custom rims and a booming system installed.
Dont for get the built in nav
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Where were you an EMT ?
Guy who is driving one my plow trucks this year used to be in Boston (Dorchester) and I never imagined an EMT having to wear one to help people with health problems or possible dying till he told me some stories, thats crazy !

I worked in Hartford, E. Hartford, Manchester CT full time and part time in the Easton/Brockton MA at the same time for 3 years, then full time for Fallon in the Quincy area.

For the Hartford job, they'd reimburse you up to 50% of the cost for a bullet proof vest. I never bothered, but there were also a few neighborhoods that I (and most other people) refused to enter until Hartford PD was on-scene. Worst situation I was in was being within about 2 blocks of a gang shooting.

The number one thing stressed in all training is that you make sure you and your partner go home in the same condition you showed up to work. At either job, we were explicitly told that we are not allowed to carry anything for protection but I did carry mace - with the opinion "better to be fired than injured".

If I worked in the Mattapan/Dorchester area, I'd probably be wearing a vest at work too.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
FishermanTim

Getting back to the welfare aspect....

She was probably driving her kids car, since the "baby's mama or daddy" couldn't leave the house with their ankle bracelet.
Could be a case of having all their money tied up in their image, and having nothing but a facade to show for their efforts.

In any case, ANYONE that can show up to collect welfare in a high end luxury vehicle is telling me that they don't need welfare. What they need is a crash course on economics and personal accounting (ie living within their means not OURS)!!!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Seldom will you see an accountant willing to risk their license so a client will profit from deception.Your in good company,I guess.
True story. When I first started itemizing, I was referred by my co-workers to a certain "accountant" in Brooklyn. When I got my return from him, I had the good sense to go over it before mailing it to the IRS. One of the things I caught was the fact that I was depreciating my office furniture and computer, all of which was supplied by my employer. As well as spending a few thousand dollars a year on "client meals", which was kind of a shock because a good 70% of my clients were in jail.

I got an extension to file, and then went to a real accountant.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Where were you an EMT ?

My friends Dad is a local fireman, years ago he went on a training trip to Miami for a week. While working with the Miami Fire Dept, he was on a truck responding to a call. There were some "projects" on fire and as they pulled in, they were being shot at. He was told the animals set the building on fire, lived there and wanted it burned down so they could be moved to a "better" building. They shot at the fireman because they didn't want them to put the fire out and save the building!!!

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Why do you assume deception? He wasn't facilitating cheating. Everything was perfectly legal. He gave me good advice for better record keeping, and taking all the legal deductions available to me as a home business - none of which I was aware. That's what a good accountant does.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
My friends Dad is a local fireman, years ago he went on a training trip to Miami for a week. While working with the Miami Fire Dept, he was on a truck responding to a call. There were some "projects" on fire and as they pulled in, they were being shot at. He was told the animals set the building on fire, lived there and wanted it burned down so they could be moved to a "better" building. They shot at the fireman because they didn't want them to put the fire out and save the building!!!
That's how the trash acts. I had to drive from South Beach to West Miami when I was down there for work a few years ago. Miami might be the biggest dump I have ever been to.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
Sea Dangles

In the interest of disclosure I would like to add I don't know Joe or his accountant. If my previous post gives anybody the impression there was any wrongdoing on either of their parts I am sure that is not true.It was not my intent to portray Joe in this light and if I have then I apologize.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote