Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

PC Unleashed...yes or no?

PC Unleashed has a scan that comes up once a week, and asks me to register to speed up my computer. Legit product? Cost? Any good? I am pretty sure I did something to get this on my hard drive and have no clue how to get rid of it.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
spence

So you're computer is infected with malware and you wonder if the remedy is to follow the advertisement?

This is what you're saying?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Raven

Don't be strong armed into anything!!!!

tell them to kiss off....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So you're computer is infected with malware and you wonder if the remedy is to follow the advertisement?

This is what you're saying?

-spence

I don't know.... I think I actually downloaded the scan feature when I was searching for some clean up software. Do you know it is malware? How do I tell if it is? I have a Norton package running.
So there it is for the world to see...I am computer stoopid. In reality, all I need is a Kindle or an Ipad for what I do.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
iamskippy

The program if its the legit one is legit however follow Spence advice, and don't do it. Especially if you dont know what you are doing, if you want a good speed up program AVG a very trusted source has a great one, but regardless if the PC is not cleaned and in good working order prior it will not matter, it will clean cookies, and defrag and shut down un wanted services, making it appear much better for a little bit then WHAMO!

A lot of Malware mask themselfs as legit software, here is the website of the one you are refering to. But again, if you don't know what you are do, don't let it scan, get it removed from your pc by someone that knows what they are doing.

Most tweeters are installing this with out knowing it, at least that is what my research is showing.

Edit:
I just saw the Kindle and Ipad comment, please just return the PC, us microsofters thank you.
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Thanks Skip. I'm gonna leave this one to someone who knows their chit... As for the last comment, trust me, I'm a pc guy. Never had an Apple product. But 99% of what I do is browsing here and other websites. Not a lot of "computing" going on....

Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Raven

NF...........if you know what day you did the download

you can do a search on that day or that week..... if your unsure of the exact day

by expanding the search feature into the advanced section

in there you have the date (s) to input the "time" the file was created

so you go... search files and folders created feb 10 -17-12 say (only)
and see what pops up
anything you see(o)(o) that looks like the nasty one thats bugging you to death
do a google search on that exact file to see what it is...

it should tell you (or lead you) right back to that same -> wanna faster pc page?

then having identified it just delete it...

besides: the only thing that really slows down a PC
1.) is a full hard drive
2.)insufficient memory (easy to upgrade)
or 3.) to many programs that are set to open up when you boot up...
that you can check by right clicking your start button and selecting the start menu
to see whats listed or set to start at boot up instead of manually
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote