Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 03-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Free TV

Can you still get it ? You use to be able to get half a dozen stations (3 of them good) and a few UHF channels with just a pair of rabbit ears .. Any Old Pharts still doing this .. Do they even sell rabbit ears ?

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
When we (directv) lost Chan. 7 Boston, I went to CVS and got a cheap $15 pair of rabbit ears. Surprisingly, I hooked them up and had crystal clear reception of 4,5,7,38,27,56 and some others. No 25 (fox) though. It was digital reception I believe. As long as we had Channel 7 I was happy but was shocked to see how many more we got.

My neighbor said he had a roof mounted version and got a ton of channels...so much so that he dumped cable for most of his rooms and used the antenna.

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Backbeach Jake

You have to buy a digital converter. There are 2 channel 2s, 2 7s, 4 44s. There are more free channels than ever. Add a roku and you have more than cable but free. This is what I do in Truro.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
You have to buy a digital converter. There are 2 channel 2s, 2 7s, 4 44s. There are more free channels than ever. Add a roku and you have more than cable but free. This is what I do in Truro.
Funny you should mention it ,, We got one of those Roku things in a Yankee swap at xmas .. Didn't have a clue what to do with it . Still have it NIB.. Do you need internet for that though ?

Last edited by Tagger; 03-09-2012 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: speeling ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Raven

Cool

i need dvr tho

best shows are scheduled at sleep time
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
Funny you should mention it ,, We got one of those Roku things in a Yankee swap at xmas .. Didn't have a clue what to do with it . Still have it NIB.. Do you need internet for that though ?
Was told you just. Need wireless Internet.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
i need dvr tho

If it's a matter of live tv or one-time shows, then you're probably SOL. If it's a tv series you need, check out HuluPlus. They have most shows available for streaming within 24 hours of airtime (except CBS or NBC, I forget which). $8/month

I've been on the road a lot more lately than usual and got a subscription for the misses a couple weeks ago. Much less whining about me being on the road than she usually does.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Backbeach Jake

I just looked into what roku offers. You don't need cable unless you want to pay for HBO, etc., produced programs. The Nowhere Channel offers thousands of free choices. Google Roku and brace yourselves. I've had Roku and only used it for Netflix. There is WAY WAY more there. I'm stunned.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
BMEUPSCOTTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
i need dvr tho

You can use a TiVo box with an antenae, and also get Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, YouTube, etc...

20 bux a month for the TiVo service, (or $500 for life... The OTA tv signal is free of course) then add netflix, not much need for roku if you get the major networks with your antenna...
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Eddie keep me abreast of what you figure out as I know why you are interested.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Matt D

Tagger, how old is your TV? If it was made in the last 3 or 4 years it should already have a digital tuner built in. Look for an "ATSC" decal or logo somewhere on it. Just hook up rabbit ears or a UHF antenna and do a channel scan. Depending on how far away the transmitters are you'll be able to receive a bunch of channels. Just type your zipcode in at tvfool.com and it'll give you a list, with recommended antenna type.

If your TV is older you'll need a converter (basically just a digital tuner). The gubbermint was subsidizing these a couple of years ago. I've got an extra that I'm not using if you want it. Just let me know.
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Can you get reception on more than one tv with only one direvt tv box? I knowyou would have to run the wire, but is it possible? I dont care if it only regular channels or not.
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Raven

i would think you could just install a splitter
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
Matt D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Can you get reception on more than one tv with only one direvt tv box? I knowyou would have to run the wire, but is it possible? I dont care if it only regular channels or not.
If you use different outputs (say HDMI for the main TV and coax for the secondary), or split the coax output from the box you can feed 2 tv's from one unit. A caveat is they'll need to both be watching the same program if they're both on at the same time. So lifeline cable or an antenna is a good complement to this setup since a different program could be watched via those.

DISH makes a couple of boxes that will feed 2 TV's independently. Only one of the 2 can be HD. The new trend is the "whole home" DVR where you need a box at each TV but all will be able to share recordings and are HD capable.
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote