Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 05-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
basswipe

Lowes

I'd like to start off by saying that I work for one of the largest contractors in the state of RI so I know a thing or two.Generally speaking the clients I build houses for don't worry about money but when I'm spending my own that's a different story.Over the years I have nothing but great experiences at Lowes.Recently when my wife decided that our bathroom needed remodeling buying at Lowes was a no-brainer,we bought everything minus a tub at the N.Dartmouth store.

This is now where my tale of woe begins.Almost every fixture we bought had missing parts/screws and as you can imagine that tends to slow up the whole process and tends to raise the stress level.By the time I got around to the third fixture that was missing a setscrew I was ready to have a meltdown.

Once I gathered it together I returned to the store for the second time in one day.We exchanged the item for a duplicate item and that process was pretty stupid,why in God's name would the lady at the customer service desk need to credit my card $42 just charge the same card the some exact amount of money for the same exact item 10 seconds later?Her explanation was because the item was defective.What?

And while that was going on my wife was looking at light bulbs for the light fixture.We needed flouro bulbs for dimmers and while my wife was looking at them there were 4 guys doing nothing but having some type of argument and none offered any help and when my wife went to ask they disappeared.

And now is where we come to why I am now writing this.When I started to assemble the vanity mirror one of the plastic nuts that secures the mirror to one of the 2 mounts was no good.And that was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

I don't know if Clint is still the store manager or not but I know in the past he ran a tight ship and everybody there was on the ball and sharp,not so much anymore.The N.Dartmouth store has issues.

The bottom line is that I as both a contractor and a homeowner will more than likely never step foot into another Lowes again and that's a shame because it was at one time one of my favorite places to shop.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
spence

Don't get me started about the custom granite bathroom vanity they made for me...good lord. The people they had working there were freaking incompetent.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
basswipe

Spence the insane thing is I knew better.I knew better but I did it anyways to try save some of the almighty $$$.Never again.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
FishermanTim

As for the credit and debit for what should have been a straight exchange of merchandise sounds like they need the "transaction activity" to inflate their numbers.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
sburnsey931

The last time I chimed in about defective goods....someone decided I was the idiot for buying the product again and again. It was about toasters. So I just let it go.
But I have more and more examples of inferior products purchased from big box stores. Almost exclusively made in "China".
I feel I have been ripped off time after time.... I saved $20 bucks buying something only to have to buy it again some day... Things don't last like they used too....
It's a marketers dream..... Increase demand with a low price and condition the consumer to accept a shorter product life span..
Oh I almost forgot the best part..... I saved that $20 bucks but lots of people lost their jobs because the factory moved over seas to produce the inferior product cheaper and it hurts my business since I build commercial buildings......
sburnsey931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Slingah

that bLowes........

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Raven

i've been comparing prices and they gouge ya there
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
i've been comparing prices and they gouge ya there
Yup. Home Depot was king back in the day and they grew too fast for themselves and then Lowes took over as they grew slow and steady. Now Home Depot has come back and over the top of Lowes. Home Depot is more contractor/guy oriented and Lowes caters more toward the female. Still a lot of things I would not buy at either Home Depot or Lowes as the quality just isn’t there.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
PaulS

I would buy the 2nd item, take the screw that I needed, return one of the items and tell them what you did so that no one else has that same problem.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote