Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
basswipe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
basswipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: RI
Posts: 5,544
Stern interviews Obama supporters.

I'm in no way a fan of Stern's but this is pretty good.Did not know people could be this stupid and uninformed.

Howard Stern Interviews Obama Supporters 2012 | RealClearPolitics

Oh and before our resident Obama shoe-shiners chime in I'm sure there are just as many stupid people supporting Romney.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
FishermanTim
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
FishermanTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hyde Park, MA
Posts: 4,032
OMG!
These were just "people on the street" interviews.
This is his voter base!
and.......
If he should win, and things get worse (as we suspect they will) these same people will blame everyone else but him for the failure.

Maybe there should be an aptitude test issued along with voter registration, along with checking ID's.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish
iTrader: (1)
 
RIJIMMY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 8,672
these people are morons first and just happen to be voting for Obama. there are plenty voting for romney. They sad part is these are the people I am supposed to buck up and pay higher taxes for so that too can have a level playing field....
bet 20 bucks they all had iphones!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Raider Ronnie
www.blackhullcharters.com
iTrader: (0)
 
Raider Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: On my boat
Posts: 8,949
Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Guess Paul Ryan is a shoe in a VP since he's the VP candidate for both Obama & Romney.
Got to love the guy who thinks John Mcain will only get 20%.
This stuff is almost as good as the YouTube clip going agound with the woman who supports Obama because he gives free phones.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Bronko
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Bronko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South of Boston
Posts: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
these people are morons first and just happen to be voting for Obama. there are plenty voting for romney. They sad part is these are the people I am supposed to buck up and pay higher taxes for so that too can have a level playing field....
bet 20 bucks they all had iphones!
Not sure what type of phones they got.... but they got them and they were free.


The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Mr. Sandman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Mr. Sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 7,647
Good Lord that is sad.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa
iTrader: (0)
 
justplugit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: east coast
Posts: 8,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
Good Lord that is sad.
Would be one of JD's favorites.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Not sure what type of phones they got.... but they got them and they were free.
Since 1996 there has been a program to subsidize phone access for the poor, mostly as a safety mechanism.

I believe it's funded through a small fee on your phone bill.

To my knowledge that's the only government sponsored way to get phone access without paying.

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
Fly Rod
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Fly Rod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Gloucester Massachusetts
Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Since 1996 there has been a program to subsidize phone access for the poor, mostly as a safety mechanism.

I believe it's funded through a small fee on your phone bill.

To my knowledge that's the only government sponsored way to get phone access without paying.

-spence
U right....but has gone beyond safety......do ya need 500 roll over minutes to call 911....
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
Bronko
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Bronko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South of Boston
Posts: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Since 1996 there has been a program to subsidize phone access for the poor, mostly as a safety mechanism.

I believe it's funded through a small fee on your phone bill.

To my knowledge that's the only government sponsored way to get phone access without paying.

-spence
Or you could just call her and the "rest of Cleveland" they all have them.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Or you could just call her and the "rest of Cleveland" they all have them.
Given what I saw on the video I'm not sure she established sufficient credibility for her full remark to be taken at face value.

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Since 1996 there has been a program to subsidize phone access for the poor, mostly as a safety mechanism.

I believe it's funded through a small fee on your phone bill.

To my knowledge that's the only government sponsored way to get phone access without paying.

-spence
And in 2008 it was made to include cell phones and went from a 200 million dollar program to a multi billion dollar entitlement... That's why they are called "Obama phone"

http://www.fcc.gov/lifeline

The good news Spence is that as part of a tribal nation you can get one too
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
And in 2008 it was made to include cell phones and went from a 200 million dollar program to a multi billion dollar entitlement... That's why they are called "Obama phone"

Lifeline Program for Low-Income Consumers | FCC.gov

The good news Spence is that as part of a tribal nation you can get one too
I don't think you really have a clue how the program operates.

The changes to the Clinton program to provide cell phone subsidies were made under Bush. The only changes I'm aware of under Obama have been to reduce fraud.

As for your claim of a multi-billion dollar entitlement, you're either completely ignorant or just making things up.

which is it?

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I don't think you really have a clue how the program operates.

The changes to the Clinton program to provide cell phone subsidies were made under Bush. The only changes I'm aware of under Obama have been to reduce fraud.

As for your claim of a multi-billion dollar entitlement, you're either completely ignorant or just making things up.

which is it?

-spence
Federal Government Program Pays Out $1.6 Billion to Cover Free Cell Phones for Low-Income Americans | Moneyland | TIME.com

Please tell us more about President Obama's strides in reducing fraud.
He appears to be getting better at multi tasking with each post
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #15
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Federal Government Program Pays Out $1.6 Billion to Cover Free Cell Phones for Low-Income Americans | Moneyland | TIME.com

Please tell us more about President Obama's strides in reducing fraud.
He appears to be getting better at multi tasking with each post
Originally Posted by spence
If you diminish the safety net isn't that(social darwinism) precisely what would be happening?


Buckman, without multi billion dollar phone subsidies, old people will croak, children will starve and those with high cheek bones and questionable integrity will never get ahead in life.....

Last edited by scottw; 09-29-2012 at 06:22 AM..
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #16
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Originally Posted by spence
If you diminish the safety net isn't that(social darwinism) precisely what would be happening?


Buckman, without multi billion dollar phone subsidies, old people will croak, children will starve and those with high cheek bones and questionable integrity will never get ahead in life.....

I don't understand how the program works because I'm not as bright as others, but 250 free minutes a month!!!( and who pays when they go over, because shutting the phone off would hurt the safety net) They should only dial 911 and thats it. I think that was the original intent.This has nothing to do with a "safety net". This is our tax dollars going to big corporations and being condoned by people too stupid to figure that out.
(like those motor scooter companies you see on tv. another scam)

Still waiting to hear more about how much money the President has saved us in this program...........some how with all the Presidents hard work we seem to be going backwards on the deficit a wee bit
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
This is our tax dollars going to big corporations and being condoned by people too stupid to figure that out.
(like those motor scooter companies you see on tv. another scam)

Still waiting to hear more about how much money the President has saved us in this program...........some how with all the Presidents hard work we seem to be going backwards on the deficit a wee bit
The program isn't funded by Federal tax dollars, its funded by fees. And the run up in 2008 if anything was prompted by the Bush tax cut fueled recession throwing more people into poverty...

Obama's FCC is left trying to clean the mess up.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...C-312210A1.pdf

If anything you should call these Clinton/Bush phones...

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The program isn't funded by Federal tax dollars, its funded by fees.
-spence
that's a distinction without a difference...it's a tax, a redistributive tax, call it a "fee", but tell us what we get for the "fee" that we're paying...
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
that's a distinction without a difference...it's a tax, a redistributive tax, call it a "fee", but tell us what we get for the "fee" that we're paying...
It was a deal worked with the telecom providers. Lower regulation and work to improve infrastructure to increase competition.

Certainly the objective of Lifeline is to help disadvantaged and disabled people who can't afford phone service stay connected.

But Lifeline only represents less than 20% of the full program, the rest going to rural areas, schools etc...and only reason some of that goes to cell phones is that they're now often cheaper than land lines.

The FCC under Obama is reforming the plan to achieve 200M savings in 2012 and 3B in savings over three years.

I don't have an issue with the program as long as it's monitored for abuse. But the characterization that these are "Obama phones" or this has somehow created a Federal tax liability or government entitlement are just patently false.

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It was a deal worked with the telecom providers. Lower regulation and work to improve infrastructure to increase competition.

Certainly the objective of Lifeline is to help disadvantaged and disabled people who can't afford phone service stay connected.

But Lifeline only represents less than 20% of the full program, the rest going to rural areas, schools etc...and only reason some of that goes to cell phones is that they're now often cheaper than land lines.

The FCC under Obama is reforming the plan to achieve 200M savings in 2012 and 3B in savings over three years.

I don't have an issue with the program as long as it's monitored for abuse. But the characterization that these are "Obama phones" or this has somehow created a Federal tax liability or government entitlement are just patently false.

-spence
this is pretty funny, you should be on Letterman
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
But the characterization that these are "Obama phones" or this has somehow created a Federal tax liability or government entitlement are just patently false.

-spence
this is just precious I can't imagine where anyone ever got the idea that these were "Obama Phones"


"Visit ObamaPhone.net and here's what you see (I suspect they'll make changes soon, if they haven't already, so I took a screenshot):


When you click the link at ObamaPhone.net to apply for a free cell phone, you're redirected to...wait for ....it...FreeGovernmentCellPhones.net. That's right. The same website that decried the "false rumor" and "incorrect term" of The Obama Phone Program has another website, surely desired to attract search engine traffic, that advertises The Obama Phone Program.

Nice.

UPDATE: The website has already been changed! Visit Obamaphone.net now, and you'll get something like a blog with no pictures of Obama, as though they're in the process of dismantling the site."


also from Obamaphone.net

Currently, the government is thinking of providing free wireless internet service to the people under this program instead of old-fashioned land phones. It’ll be a great effort if government includes this service in Lifeline program.

WOW! Obama HighSpeed Internet too!!..this is awesome!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The%20Obaama%20Phone.png
Views:	73
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	53172  

Last edited by scottw; 09-30-2012 at 01:23 PM..
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #22
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,889
From your own website:

Quote:
The president actually has no real impact on the program so it shouldn’t be called “Obama Phones”. The Lifeline program for cell phones was actually started under President George Bush with grants from an independent company crated under president
Clinton.
Who even knows who's running that site? I guess you probably wouldn't care...
-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #23
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
From your own website:



Who even knows who's running that site? I guess you probably wouldn't care...
-spence



I'm pretty confident that Obama and his team were very happy to have sites like these (maybe even negotiated) telling people that Obama was giving them free phones for the last 4 years, there have been countless pop ups I've noticed during that time touting that Obama is providing this or that and it has clearly worked...there's been an explosion in Government provided "stuff" and it will continue if we allow it...it's a mentality that they have fostered so you really have no argument complaining about it now that it has apparently become a negative for him....

Last edited by scottw; 09-30-2012 at 06:24 PM..
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #24
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I'm pretty confident that Obama and his team were very happy to have sites like these (maybe even negotiated) telling people that Obama was giving them free phones for the last 4 years, there have been countless pop ups I've noticed during that time touting that Obama is providing this or that and it has clearly worked...there's been an explosion in Government provided "stuff" and it will continue if we allow it...it's a mentality that they have fostered so you really have no argument complaining about it now that it has apparently become a negative for him....
In other words, you don't have a clue so you're just making stuff up hoping people aren't paying attention?

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #25
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
In other words, you don't have a clue so you're just making stuff up hoping people aren't paying attention?

-spence
didn't have to make anything up..it's all there, I don't think anyone is shocked by this.... just more bread and circus


The program in Ohio cost $26.9 million in the first quarter of 2012, the most recent data available, versus $15.6 million in the same timeframe in 2011. Compared to the first quarter of 2011, the number of people in the program nearly doubled to more than a million. wow...that's a lot

Growth could cost everyone who owns a phone. The program is funded through the "Universal Service Fund" charge on phone bills and the amount of the fee is determined by the cost of this and other programs.arbitrary....well at least they can fund it indefinitely

The total cost of the program nationwide was $1.5 billion in 2011, up from $1.1 billion in 2010.really put a dent in that waste and fraud

Last edited by scottw; 09-30-2012 at 07:45 PM..
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #26
Slipknot
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
Slipknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 16,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
I'm in no way a fan of Stern's but this is pretty good.Did not know people could be this stupid and uninformed.

Howard Stern Interviews Obama Supporters 2012 | RealClearPolitics

Oh and before our resident Obama shoe-shiners chime in I'm sure there are just as many stupid people supporting Romney.


WOW
how clueless
are people that out of touch

That African guy has an accent just like Father Guido Sarducci
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #27
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,619
this is one of the frequent pop ups, a new one I've noticed has Michelle encouraging you to call Obama and tell him that "you are with him"....guess he'll get lot's of calls made from those Obama Phones it's tough living up to the messianic image that you've crafted for yourself....oh well....





Obama Scholarships For Single Mothers- $10,000 is Available to Help You Go To School!

The Obama scholarships for mothers plan, as has been called, can now help you get your degree and help you find even more money to help you pay for college.


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRLog (Press Release) - Apr 29, 2010 -
Many single women while searching for information on financial aid have come across the topic: Obama moms return to school program.

This program, known under various titles such as Obama scholarships for mothers or Obama grants for college students is very clear in its objective: Provide stimulus to the education sector didn't know the education sector was hurting and needed stimulus? by giving help to the women students in need.

Fact: $10,000 is available to help women graduate from college.

What is the form of help? Well, it comes in the form of a $10,000 free scholarship from certain nominated companies. This Obama grant for mothers will allow you to pursue your dreams and goals while taking care of your school fee.

Does it sound too good to be true? not if you are Obama!This program will provide assistance to women and single women and will help ease the onerous burden of paying for school supplies and tuition fee.

Now, next time you hear of either the Obama college scholarship or Obama grant for mothers, or the free Obama Phone please bear in mind that this is similar to Obama single mothers’ scholarship program, or the Obama money for moms’ scholarship or any of the other things that Obama is giving away with his enormous supply of Obama Money. All of these programs are basically a mix of scholarships, financial aid and grants and bread and circus meant to permanently attach you to the Government Teat(See: Life of Julia)

After President Obama signed the stimulus bill for financial aid, a $10,000 free scholarship is available to single mothers to help pay for college.The free scholarships enable eligible women and single mothers to concentrate on finishing their work without worrying about paying their bills every month(if there are are any left that aren't already subsidized by the government).like the woman in the video said, " I won't have to worry about putting gas in my car, feeding my kids, taking a shower, if I help Obama, he'll help me"

Last edited by scottw; 10-01-2012 at 04:20 AM..
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #28
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,619
on a related note, you really need to hear the ads that the USDA has run to try to promote Food Stamp participation, which is at an all time looo....HIGH...Obama's probably working hard to eliminate gazillions in fraud and waste there too...right Spence?


The Spanish-language radio ads composed a 10-part miniseries called "Hope Park." what a coincidence In it, the characters were shown persistently trying to convince a character named "Diana" I bet she knows Julia to go on food stamps -- known these days as SNAP, or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program -- even though her husband works and she doesn't think she needs it. who cares...Obama is buying!!!

"I don't need help from anyone," yes you do, it takes a village Diana says in Episode 4. "My husband makes enough to take care of us." but we're all one pay check away from disaster and he'll probably leave you for another woman any minute

But her friends are persistent, because they care and by Episode 10 Diana is enrolled and singing the program's praises. this happens to everyone that receives Obama money...probably fainted too

......................

and...In fact, the nation’s agricultural agency says, in a recent video ad, that signing up for food stamps can make you look and feel your best. I bet, get Food Stamps and a Free Obama phone and you'll be a freakin' movie star! (or at least go viral on You Tube)

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/outreach/radio/default.htm

I just listened to some of these..I'm weeping for America

Last edited by scottw; 10-01-2012 at 06:52 AM..
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com