Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Saltwater Fly Fishing!

Saltwater Fly Fishing! New at Striped-Bass.Com, Saltwater Fly Fishing in the North East

Old 12-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Want to try saltwater fly fishing

Hey guys, been hearing a lot about saltwater fly fishing....well, I tried to do a little research, and holy crap! I felt like I was back in Calculus. Different weights, tippets, tapers, 0x-8x...etc? Can someone, anyone just give me some ideas as to how to get started without spending rediculous amounts of cash? Just want to give it a shot and see what it's all about. Would be fishing for stripers. Rod/reel setups? I literally have no clue, and there is just way too much I don't know about it. Thanks!

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
FinS 32

best piece of advice i can give is go to a local flyshop and tell them, what you are looking to do. too much to explain just in type. they will be able to help you a lot

Century Rods USA Pro Staff Member
FinS 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
rphud
GrandBob

I think the very basics are a 9 foot 9 weight and an intermediate line and/or a floating line, both if you can. A reasonable large arbor reel for 8/9 weight line. Buy a few tapered leaders at around 15lb, and some plain old 20lb mono and flouro. Do a little research to avoid a "fast" rod when purchasing for now to make learning to cast a bit easier. To tell you the truth, I pretty much buy everything except tying materials from Sierra Trading post (close outs of last years models) or online classifieds (fishing sites or fleabay). Most important thing to buy is those first casting lessons, but you can also find clubs doing it for free. I did a learn to fly fish with Lou Tabory in CT and it was a great way to start. I also watched the Lefty Kreh video because I am a very visual learner. That one is priceless. There are a bunch of youtube videos as well.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
saltfly

the Show circuit is going to start up in January. the Fly Fishing Show will be held in Marlboro Ma. on the weekend of the 18th.The better day to go is Friday.You can cast all kinds of rod set ups,get a quickie instruction session from a rep.,see casting demos,flytyers,seminars,etc.

The biggest mistake people make is buying a setup first and adapting themselves to the equipment.A casting instructor will teach you the basics then watch "your" stroke.Then can recommend the right type of rod[action] for you.taking in where, what,species you are looking to target.It's a great investment of some time and $15.

Bears Den in Taunton also holds a show in March.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
bucko

The advice you are getting in the previous posts is all good. I would emphasize the casting lessons. Casting a fly line isn't easy for most people. If you stick with it however the reward is worth it.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
JackK
Not Jack

First Light Anglers in Rowley holds classes in the spring. Easily worth the $125 due to less frustration.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
saltydog

JackK,
BEFORE you go spending money on CASTIN LEASONS, an so on it would be WISE if you KNEW someone WHO SALTWATER FLY FISHES, an TRY HIS EQUIPTMENT OUT. This is NOT a sport of BIG DOLLARS as some SHOPS will tell you. Equiptment can be had for SHORT MONEY, your best bet is to HIT the BEACH an cast for a while an learn on your own. then you can ask for correction if any that need to be made. WHO knows you could be a GREAT AT casting, it's winter HIT THE FLY SHOWS an TRY EVERYTHING out there. also ALL depends on if your going to FISH from the BEACH or BOAT. that WILL dictate rod weight. if you have lots of FUNDS available the you can buy different set-up for beach ,boat fishin.
GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN

saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Fly Rod

If U do not know how to fly fish go to kittery trading post look at a few rods show that U R interested in buying U do not have to buy....they will take U outside and U will get a few free lessons...should take ya about an hour to get the basics...be careful places will load U up with things U do not need....I am the worlds worst fly fisherman been doing it for 30 years...have fly fished around the country and Canada....I slap the water....use straight line in whatever poundage..tapers to expensive... do not sneak up on fish...but the bottom line is I catch fish....also be prepared to have a fat wallet flies can be expensive...Flyfishing is fun
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

thanks for the advice guys

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
Old 12-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
JackK
Not Jack

Good point Salty.

NSF, in the spring I'm often out at the popular Gloucester spots waving the long wand. I find I catch about triple the amount there on the fly vs spin. Some nice fish too, keepers, not all dinks (although there are plenty of those too). They love mummichogs. You're more than welcome to try my gear out there, I can bring a separate setup for you to use.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

thanks JackK, I will def take you up on that in the spring. Thanks again.