Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 05-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Effing cars!!!!!

so my front axle boot was leaking fluid so subaru dealer says that its 480 to fix it, take it to my local mechanic and he says 480 to replace the entire front axle - so I do it. Well now the f'ing thing vibrates like hell - so I go on the interblabs and all the subaru forums say do not get aftermarket axles except for one specific brand or they will vibrate!! F ME

so now what am I supposed to do - go back to the mechanic and tell him to put on an OEM axle or some specific named aftermarket one at his cost?? Tell him to fix it even though it can't be fixed because he just gave me a cheap part?

sometimes I friggin hate cars
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
so my front axle boot was leaking fluid so subaru dealer says that its 480 to fix it, take it to my local mechanic and he says 480 to replace the entire front axle - so I do it. Well now the f'ing thing vibrates like hell - so I go on the interblabs and all the subaru forums say do not get aftermarket axles except for one specific brand or they will vibrate!! F ME

so now what am I supposed to do - go back to the mechanic and tell him to put on an OEM axle or some specific named aftermarket one at his cost?? Tell him to fix it even though it can't be fixed because he just gave me a cheap part?

sometimes I friggin hate cars
Yep. He is on the hook if it is vibrating. The repair work is not acceptable. You should be willing to pay the difference for the OEM axle or whatever the acceptable aftermarket axle is, but you need to know what the cost actually is. He needs to eat the labor, but should be able to get something back from his supplier for a defective axle.

Just don't get me going on Subarus, though....
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Front axles/CV joints are the nemesis of my life. It is the single worst thing done to 4WD vehicles since they were invented. It is the reason I will never own another half ton truck not due to payload or any of those issues. I will never deal with half shafts again.

Any type of geometric issue with the axle creates severe vibration it is a major pain in the butt.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
Raven

technically you could have wrapped that boot
in 6 mil black plastic and zip ties as a cheap
alternative... just to get by...

and yeah! he owns it ...had a shock absorber go bad
so i had it replaced and then it went ba-boom on any miner bump
and i took it back and said to do it again... that one is junk
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

thanks for the advice guys, I think I am going to have him fix it with an OEM and will pay the difference.

and Ross - never had any issues like this with my impreza, but this outback is nickle and diming the hell out of me - I'm done with them after this. I would consider trading, but trying to buy a house and don't want to have any new debt on my credit report...

So what's the alternative though? Toyota?
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
rphud
GrandBob

4Runner! "older" models with under 100k miles can be found for reasonable $$$.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Yup... I hear ya

Snapped a shock off my '02 Tacoma last week; repair shop won't touch it, so it's at the dealer for a Monday appointment.. best case scenario is that Toyota fails the frame on the recall...

Come out this morning, found that I must have taken a rock yesterday on my commuter car; have a nice crack in the windshield...
rains it pours....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Raven

i've never paid for glass

it's free
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Unless you have a really steep road you have to go up regularly, any front wheel drive car will go fine. Buy good studded snow tires, the ice is what will kill you and 4wd stops no better than 2wd.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote