Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Saltwater Fly Fishing!

Saltwater Fly Fishing! New at Striped-Bass.Com, Saltwater Fly Fishing in the North East

Old 01-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
EliTheBeerGuy

Cinder Worms

I know it's still a ways off, but I'm already looking forward to the Cinderworms this year. I'm 100% determined to catch a nice bass on the fly rod this year, and I figure the cinder worms are probably my best shot, right?

Anyone have any patterns they've been successful with? I figure I better start tying now, or else I won't be ready when the bass are.

Thanks!
EliTheBeerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
JoeG@Breezy

There's afly on the Orvis site that looks just like a cinderworm. Might also look like a really small sandworm.
JoeG@Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

You could try and glue a piece of red elastic on yer hook.

Bingo-cinder worm
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
flyvice11787

Bob Robl's cinder worm fly.

The fly is tied on a Mustad 34011, usually size 2 to 1/0. The tail is a piece of red zonker. After you secure it, tie in a red hackle. Next comes the body, which is red chenille. The chenille goes up about 3/4 the way up the hook. At this point, palmer the hackle up to where the chenille body ends and tie in. Wind the thread up to almost the eye of the hook to do the head. For the head, cut a strip of tan colored foam (stuff you find in craft stores, I don't recall the brand) about 3/8" wide and just about the length of hook shank. Starting at the eye of the hook, start tying in the foam on the top of the fly with tight wraps, down to where you ended the chenille. At this point, the excess foam will be to the rear of the fly. Again bring the thread back up to the eye of the hook. Apply some glue or head cement to the top of the tied down foam and then fold the excess foam over the tied down part and whip finish at the eye. I use an old clothes pin to hold the foam head together until the cement dries. Use scissors to trim the hackle down to get the effect of the "legs" of a worm and trim the excess foam so you have a little excess in front of the eye. This gives you a gurgler type head.

If you look at the underside of the picture of the fly, my description for tying the foam should make more sense.

I should note that this fly is intended to imitate the larger cinder worms. Bob used something more like a Dixon's Devil Worm to imitate the smaller worms.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
flyvice11787 is offline   Reply With Quote