Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 05-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
Jimbo

1898 30-40 Krag Help

I was wondering if any gun enthusiasts could help me with a gun I found cleaning out my in-laws' estate. Taking a last run through the house I got up in the attic with a mag light and in a far, dusty corner saw a black garbage bag inbetween the beams. It's an 1898 30-40 US Government issue (Springfield Armory) Krag Jorgensen which I know was used in the Spanish American War. From my untrained eye I'd say it's in very good to perfect condition and not "sported" or refinished. I think it belonged to one of my wife's relatives who was also a founding member of the Downingtown, PA VFW (founding members included those who fought in the Spanish American War and WW I). Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty contacting them. Is there a way to find out who a rifle was issued to by the serial number? If I can confirm some things I'm going to donate the rifle to the VFW. Thanks.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I was wondering if any gun enthusiasts could help me with a gun I found cleaning out my in-laws' estate. Taking a last run through the house I got up in the attic with a mag light and in a far, dusty corner saw a black garbage bag inbetween the beams. It's an 1898 30-40 US Government issue (Springfield Armory) Krag Jorgensen which I know was used in the Spanish American War. From my untrained eye I'd say it's in very good to perfect condition and not "sported" or refinished. I think it belonged to one of my wife's relatives who was also a founding member of the Downingtown, PA VFW (founding members included those who fought in the Spanish American War and WW I). Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty contacting them. Is there a way to find out who a rifle was issued to by the serial number? If I can confirm some things I'm going to donate the rifle to the VFW. Thanks.
Really nice find and even nicer gesture. Good luck in your search.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
tysdad115

If you can email me pictures I know someone who will know all about it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

The bolt action on those were really smooth..... A lot were "modified" for sport or close police work. If yours is truly stock, it is worth some dough. Many fakes out there, especially the carbines. The fella who let me shoot his loaded with less powder than standard, but I forget the number.....
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
Jimbo

Thank you for your responses. Tysdad I will get pics for you (might take a bit as I haven't had great success with that in the past). I'll get this figured out somehow.
The gun enthusiasts would probably have loved to see the other weapon I found at my inlaws'. It was so friggin' cool I immediately had it appraised and then my sister-in-law convinced my wife she should have it...and currently its whereabouts are "unknown". I was beside myself and still am. She even asked me later if I was sure the gun had been turned over to her.
It was a Government Issue Colt, Model 1909, .45 Cal Revolver. The appraiser put the value at $2,500.00 and offered me $2,000.00 on the spot. I never had a chance to delve into its history. I did keep the box of ammo since it looked collectable. One cartridge is missing, but you can make out on the box "Revolver Ball Cartridges, Calibre .45, Franklin Arsenal, 1877". I cannot imagine the hole one of those could put in a person.
I won't ramble further. Thanks again.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Old 05-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
tysdad115

Some info so far..found here http://www.kragcollectorsassociation...num=1430879077

"The 'Spanish War' was of short duration (April 21, 1898 to August 13, 1898). Model 1898 Krag production started July 8, 1898. Most U.S. Army Regular Troops were using Model 1896 Rifles and Carbines and most U.S. Volunteers were using 'Trap-door' Springfield Rifles during the brief SAW conflict.

However, in the Philippines following the defeat of Spain, the U.S. became embroiled in long conflicts, suppressing the Philippine Forces of the Rebellion, and then fighting an Insurgency. Model 1898 Krags saw increasing use in these later conflicts.

When the 1903 Springfield Rifle was adopted, the Krag continued in gradually declining use, as it was replaced. It eventually became primarily a National Guard arm. Numerous Krags were repaired, refurbished and rebuilt at Springfield Armory. During WW1, it saw use as a training arm and apparently with some 'rear echelon' troops (like U.S. Engineers and troops guarding French railways)."

Going by the serial # the rifle was produced in 1898, so its doubtful it saw action in the Spanish American War. They made 41,588 of them in 1898 serial number ranges were 64556 - 116146

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Jimbo

Hey, thanks once again. I've run into a bunch of "Krag" sites and that's pretty much the info I'm finding. I guess my dream of finding out he was a foot soldier with the Rough Riders going up San Juan Hill isn't going to come true, but that's fine, I'm more interested in finding out the history of the gun and its owner, so I'm going to head out to Pennsy and visit some cemeteries and elder relatives whom I'm hoping will still have sharp minds or possibly family bibles that might shed some light. Boggles the mind that my in-laws are more interested in Words With Friends than taking any interest in this venture.
Jim