Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 03-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Lowrance vs Garmin charts

I've been happy with Garmin but the new Hobie comes pre-rigged for Lowrance. Curious if others are happy with their basic coastal charts.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Looking at new Hook-7
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
JFigliuolo

Get navionics chip. Well worth the money for the contours
JFigliuolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Ian
Idiot

Just got one with my new (to me) hobie and noticed that it comes with a feature where you pop an SD card in and it will collect the data from the locations you fish as you fish them. Within a couple trips they claim it will have enough data to represent something like a map you'd purchase.

Yet to try it out, but I will be in a month or so.

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
bassballer

i actually prefer the lowrance with Navionics chart over the Garmin chart. I like the garmin sounder better though.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
seadogg

I've been all Garmin for the past few years, but I've used Navionics as well. I also worked at West Marine for many years and I always preferred the look and functionality of the Garmin chart over Navionics. It seems what Navionics features in terms of contour, it lacks in overall chart detail like rocks, for instance, especially on lower end units like the HDS or Hook series. Garmin charts are very bright, detailed (depending on preference) and comprehensive, not to mention the units themselves are easy to operate. Their sounding capabilities are definitely becoming more competitive with the Navico brands.
seadogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Went with the Lowrance Hook5, which after a few freshwater trips is going to work out very well and I'm pretty impressed so far; especially with the bottom detail downscan shows. Tog water will be much easier to see with that feature and the unit navigation is easy, so I'm happy so far. I will just need to remember to plug in the battery charger every so offen , it was done on the center console automatically, no peddle power charger on the Hobie.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
Hooper
Southsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Looking at new Hook-7
You're gonna laugh, but check out jet.com for your Hook 7...under $400 with discounts.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #9
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Hook 5 is perfect size for the kayak, I think the 7" would have actually been way overkill and the pricing for the 5 was actually $100 less than the model it replace and well under that number.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #10
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I finally got out yesterday for season's first fishing in the boat. NOT impressed with Navionics Plus detail in close to rocks. 1993 Garmin charts had much more concise detail of submerged rocks and structure. Looking into other chart options.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #11
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I finally got out yesterday for season's first fishing in the boat. NOT impressed with Navionics Plus detail in close to rocks. 1993 Garmin charts had much more concise detail of submerged rocks and structure. Looking into other chart options.

I don't like Navionics in my Simrad screens.
I kept my old Garmin 2010C aa a backup plotter and even though I have 2 new 12 inch Simrad screens, I still use the Garmin every day as my plotter unless I'm on auto pilot navigating to a waypoint.
C-map in my Garmin much better than Navionics !
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #12
niko

Check out the sonar charts upgrade for navionics
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I need a geek onboard.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #14
Clammer

Ross ,,me too .......I find the rocks by hitting them

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
riff_raff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
I don't like Navionics in my Simrad screens.
I kept my old Garmin 2010C aa a backup plotter and even though I have 2 new 12 inch Simrad screens, I still use the Garmin every day as my plotter unless I'm on auto pilot navigating to a waypoint.
C-map in my Garmin much better than Navionics !
+1 what Ronnie said - seems like no matter what brand it is, if it's not a Garmin the plotter just isn't as easy to use, to the point where an old Garmin handheld can trump someone else's latest & greatest 12 inch screen when it comes to how well you are able to navigate with it.

For instance when trying to anchor on just the right spot we've used my Garmin 176 black/white handheld over a fairly new big Lowrance just for that reason - we can't figure out the drift and how far we are exactly from the numbers as well w/ the Lowrance (which is a matter of hundreds of feet in this case, you gotta run up drift ~300 feet and get the anchor down to drift back to where you want the boat to be). With the old Garmin it's simple to measure up the scope by moving the curser and navigate directly to a spot you plotted a certain distance away.

Who's charts are better is another question, but I've never felt like I needed more than the bluecharts from 10 years ago on a small black & white screen for flawless performance navigating.

Jon

There's a limit on these?
riff_raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #16
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by riff_raff View Post
+1 what Ronnie said - seems like no matter what brand it is, if it's not a Garmin the plotter just isn't as easy to use, to the point where an old Garmin handheld can trump someone else's latest & greatest 12 inch screen when it comes to how well you are able to navigate with it.

For instance when trying to anchor on just the right spot we've used my Garmin 176 black/white handheld over a fairly new big Lowrance just for that reason - we can't figure out the drift and how far we are exactly from the numbers as well w/ the Lowrance (which is a matter of hundreds of feet in this case, you gotta run up drift ~300 feet and get the anchor down to drift back to where you want the boat to be). With the old Garmin it's simple to measure up the scope by moving the curser and navigate directly to a spot you plotted a certain distance away.

Who's charts are better is another question, but I've never felt like I needed more than the bluecharts from 10 years ago on a small black & white screen for flawless performance navigating.

Jon

Jon.
I'm not talking about plotter preferences and which is easier to use.
I much prefer the C map data card over Navionics.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #17
Rockfish9

I have experience with both charts... Garmin detail is definitely better...and IMHO more accurate.. I have Navionics on my Phone primarily for ice fishing... I also move my Garmin chartplotter from the boat to my wheeler for ice fishing ( and swap the G-2 vision card for the lakes map).. when I compare accuracy the Garmin always seems closer... same with salt water when I compare the 2 it just seems that the Garmin chart is just better in terms of finding the structure I am looking for...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #18
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I run a Garmin 547XS and love it. G2 Blue water Nav Maps. I have a separate Garmin GLD40 Weather station and a Garmin 300C Sonar unit integrated on a NEMA 2000 network

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #19
Clammer

I,m very happy with my new /old Garmin 182C GPS with all my way points & I,ve always liked furana for depth/fish finder ><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote