Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 08-02-2003, 09:36 AM   #1
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Question Dumb Battery Question...

Recently acquired a nifty 30 gallon KeepAlive livewell (thanks MikeCC). 1100 model, methinks.

I like my scup frisky and it's nice to just reach in and grab a scaly snack when I'm hankering for some bloody, squirming, slimy sashimi.

I'm in the process of shopping for a battery for the thing.

I was instructed to go out and get a 12 volt, 2 amp battery and charger.

I bought the charger at Wal-Mart.

But I'm having trouble picking out a battery that fits the 12 volt, 2 amp description.

Any helpers out there?

Thanks. In the meantime I will just go to the sushi restaurant around the corner.

-WW
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:53 AM   #2
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
A 2amp charger charges at 2 amp (a slow charge) People like to use deep cycle batterys for things like bait tanks, trolling motors, ect...
I have bought marine deep cycle batterys and just plain marine batterys in the past, and have to say you pay alot for nothing!! Most of these batterys last just a couple of season's. With just a one year warrante.
IMO I buy auto Batterys. I bought 2 $29.95 batterys with a 3 year warr. and they are now on there 5th season!! The one I had before that went 4 seasons! I have never had a marine battery go that long. I have friends that have had the same problems.
On my bait tank I use one of my auto batterys and have no problem. Ran for 6 hours just fine! I have one that is showing signs of getting bad , but after 5 seasons for $29.95 it owes me nothing!!
IMO
I am sure that there will be alot of people that will say different
Good Luck
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 11:00 AM   #3
RickBomba

Yup,
What he said...
I bought a deep cycle for my livewell three years ago from Costco for $33 and haven't had to charge it yet (it's dead right now, though).
Good Luck,
Rick

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 12:20 PM   #4
Raven

DQ'S

FWW: one of my I.T. teacher's would always say:
"the only dumb question is the one not asked"
and i second MJ'S statement that its not the battery that has a 2 amp discharge rate....they also have these cool solar panels that keep your battery's charged while your fishing via photovolteic cells ....
check this out: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=&cmCat=search

_Raven
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:26 PM   #5
BobT

Take the charger back !!!!!! Get a Sears Deep Cycle "27" model. That will run it all day with no problem. Then get a Sears, at least, 10 amp charger that will do deep cycle's. I have a bass boat and use the Sears battery with no problem. My electric motor has an Action Pack DC and it's going after 3 years. My last Sears I had on it ran 6 years. Stupid me for giving up a good thing. I also use a Sears 20 amp charger and it will charge them over night. Lower amp chargers will charge OK but will take a long time. You really want to charge a DC fast. HAY.....it's just my .02 but I've had bass boats for 25 years and always have to use battery's. Sorry for the ramble.

Big Daddy-Bob Sr.
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:39 PM   #6
Saltheart

I would go with a bigger charger and one that has an auto setting. There are some that also have an auto-deep cycle setting. The auto is nice cause you can leave it without keeping checking. The deep cycle setting allows a very high volteage finishing charge , at the end of the charging ccyle. That's suppose to be good for the battery. I never heard of a 2 amp battery , just 2 amp trickle chargers. The trickle chargers are also suppose to be good for the battery but they are sooooo slow they are imprcatical IMO. In season , you are going to want to recharge the battery fast for another use. I say 10 Amp minimum and up to 20 if you can find one at a good price . Automatic is worth it. Keeps you from overcharging which will eventually cost you battery life.

There is some logic in getting a big but cheap battery. what you want is AMP-hours , not cold cranking amps. Its how much energy total the battery will hold , not how fast it will delivery it. Cold crank is important for starting a car in the cold but for running a pump , its Amp-hours.

I think its the off season that kills the batteries. If you were contimously using the battery and recharging , they last a long time. A couple of winters stored without use is what kills them.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote