Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 08-22-2016, 05:17 AM   #1
Stroth

Buying a Used Boat -- Help?

I am looking for a bit of help / advice with this thread.

My kids are getting a bit older (6 and 9) and I would like to try to come up with a more reliable and comfortable way to possibly get them out on the water over the last of summer / fall.

I live in Hopkinton, MA and have access to a couple of lakes with no HP restrictions -- Lake Whitehall & Lake Maspenock....

I currently have a 1950?s Aerocraft with a 1978 Johnson 9.5. When the Johnson starts it runs great, but I end up tinkering with it more than actually using it.... Whole thing is for sale (yes, I should put up another post trying to sell it here...).

I have seen a few mid 80's trackers go for around 3K near me and have also seen a few newer tiller types go for around the same. I am primarily looking at CL.

I don't need anything fancy or loaded with extras. I just need something reasonably comfortable and reliable. We'll primarily fish for largemouth bass.

What should I go with. Old tracker? V Hull? Tiller steering? Console? Here are a few pics of some of what I am looking at...

All thoughts and advice is much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tracker 1.jpg (165.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Tracker 2.jpg (45.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Tracker 3.jpg (44.4 KB, 17 views)
Stroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:20 AM   #2
Stroth

Here are a couple others....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lowe 1.jpg (40.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Starcraft 1 .jpg (22.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

My first powerboat was a 1980's vintage basstracker tournament V-17 and after I got tired of the freshwater bass tournament crowds, I took it to the salt and fished Scituate Mass to Boston in it. Yes you had to pick your days and a good set of rain gear was a must (not a dry boat), but it was a good dual purpose boat. I even took a winter and stripped that boat to a shell and build a center console out of it and eventually sold it and moved up to a dual console Lund ProV. I'd consider that a more robust boat then the bass pro boats, but they cost a bit more.

Pictures of some old pictures of the basstracker before and after, boy that late september maine smallie trip I can still remember. We were 9 miles down lake and smallies in the 3-5lb range were stacked like cordwood in a cut the wind was blowing bait into all day. We drained the trolling motor until it wouldn't hold and then ran back to the truck to get a spare battery to stay on that bite another couple hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basstracker V-17 Tourney Day.JPG (251.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Modified Basstracker.JPG (180.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Got Stripers; 08-22-2016 at 07:24 AM..
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
richardj

V Hull, 16-17 ft, 40-60 hp, trailer, with good seating will provide you with plenty of fishing/traveling options. The first pic seems to fit the bill.
richardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Stroth

Got Stripers!

Great to see you still posting! I still have a few of your baits from my old days of pounding the canal. They must be collector's items by now!

I am thinking the V Hull is the better option too and may give me some more versatility.

The red one I posted above may be worth a closer look......
Old 08-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroth View Post
Got Stripers!

Great to see you still posting! I still have a few of your baits from my old days of pounding the canal. They must be collector's items by now!

I am thinking the V Hull is the better option too and may give me some more versatility.

The red one I posted above may be worth a closer look......
Plenty of inventory left if you need any, mostly the 9" and 13"jerks and 7" split tails; pm me if you need to restock
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote