Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 10-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
FishermanTim

What would you think???

I was walking around Jamaica Pond yesterday and noticed that someone had taken the time to "create" some interesting rock sculptures along the shoreline. The water levels are really low, as they are everywhere, and the rocks were exposed on the receding shoreline.
I applaud the artistic endeavor, as these rock piles reminded me of the cairns one would find along a trail where there are no trees,

My concern is that these rocks are no longer lying on the ground, but rather, piled up. When the water levels do return to their normal levels, these sculptures will have changed the ecosystem of the pond because they will not be providing as much shelter for the insects and aquatic creatures that would normally be found under them. This means that a large portion of the shallow shoreline won't have sufficient food for the fish in the pond. Mind you that the pond is big enough, but if that large section of shoreline is barren (of food) the fish will move elsewhere to forage, and make that section a proverbial wasteland. (of course it won't be immediate, but it will have an effect.)

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote