Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 05:43 AM   #1
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,449
Trump Attorney General Jeff Sessions under fire over Russia meetings

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39136118

The US Attorney General lied to congress ???

Well well did he lie or just forget ... if it was a visit in an official capacity why would he just say so ?? 1 step forward 2 steps back
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
Raider Ronnie
www.blackhullcharters.com
iTrader: (0)
 
Raider Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: On my boat
Posts: 8,921
Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
You moonbats keep Clinging to that hope they will overturn the election 😜
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
Fishpart
Keep The Change
iTrader: (0)
 
Fishpart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: The Road to Serfdom
Posts: 3,232
Previous administration made a secret deal with a state sponsor of terrorism, paid them some millions in small bills, said country subsequently took US sailors hostage and fired on US ships and the media was silent???

Sessions met with the Russians in an official capacity while serving in the Senate
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Previous administration made a secret deal with a state sponsor of terrorism, paid them some millions in small bills, said country subsequently took US sailors hostage and fired on US ships and the media was silent???

Sessions met with the Russians in an official capacity while serving in the Senate
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
There's nothing wrong with Jeff Sessions (or Mike Flynn) reaching out to their Russian counterparts to try and get some dialogue going. There is something wrong with lying about it. If it's true, Sessions should have to answer for it.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
There's nothing wrong with Jeff Sessions (or Mike Flynn) reaching out to their Russian counterparts to try and get some dialogue going. There is something wrong with lying about it. If it's true, Sessions should have to answer for it.
100% Correct.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Session testified that he had no contact with Russian officials regarding the election.

Sessions did speak to Russian officials, but he is saying those conversations were not related to the election, but were related to his role on the Senate Armed Services Committee (he was a senator at the time).

The mere fact that he spoke to the Russians, does not appear to contradict his testimony. But it would have been nice if he brought it up. Why give the sharks any rope to hang you with?
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #7
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
There's nothing wrong with Jeff Sessions (or Mike Flynn) reaching out to their Russian counterparts to try and get some dialogue going. There is something wrong with lying about it. If it's true, Sessions should have to answer for it.
Kinda like Holder did on multiple occasions
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,435
Always say "but they did it too". That always works and solves the problem
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #9
Raven
........
iTrader: (0)
 
Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 22,680
Blog Entries: 1
he needs to resign PERIOD
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
he needs to resign PERIOD
If his conversations with the Russians had nothing to do with the election, but had to do with role as a US Senator, then why should he resign?

He testified that he didn't speak to Russians regarding the election. is there any evidence, any whatsoever, that he lied?
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
There isn't any evidence of Russia's involvement in the election period . We all know the democrats require black and white proof .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #12
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Session testified that he had no contact with Russian officials regarding the election.

Sessions did speak to Russian officials, but he is saying those conversations were not related to the election, but were related to his role on the Senate Armed Services Committee (he was a senator at the time).

The mere fact that he spoke to the Russians, does not appear to contradict his testimony. But it would have been nice if he brought it up. Why give the sharks any rope to hang you with?
I feel he willfully left out he meeting with the russians because he understood it would have impacted his chances of being AG he is no dumb person .. once he has the job .. good luck getting rid of me

he willfully answered the question falsely... thats not leading by example .. but thats the trend in this administration Say 1 thing then spend weeks telling everyone what He or She ment to say .. or blame the media or the Dem's over your unforced errors
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #13
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,634
Blog Entries: 1
He answered lawyerly and stated he did not discuss things with the Russians WRT the election.

Interestingly, he did recuse himself from influence on this particular matter. Gee, wish other AGs were willing to recuse themselves when they got too close to the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
There isn't any evidence of Russia's involvement in the election period . We all know the democrats require black and white proof .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

There is substantial evidence they tried to influence the election, there is no evidence they "hacked" the election.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #14
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I feel he willfully left out he meeting with the russians because he understood it would have impacted his chances of being AG he is no dumb person .. once he has the job .. good luck getting rid of me


he willfully answered the question falsely... thats not leading by example .. but thats the trend in this administration Say 1 thing then spend weeks telling everyone what He or She ment to say .. or blame the media or the Dem's over your unforced errors
"he willfully answered the question falsely"

Here is an honest question...Did Sessions deny meeting with the ambassador, period? Or did he deny meeting with the Russian ambassador, regarding the election? The former would be a lie. The latter would not (as far as can be proven), though a little too lawyerly for my taste.

If you think Sessions should resign over this, but are OK with the fact that Attorney General Eric Holder oversaw the giving weapons to Mexican drug lords which were used to kill people...then you don't care anything about right and wrong, you only care about partisan politics.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #15
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Interestingly, he did recuse himself from influence on this particular matter. Gee, wish other AGs were willing to recuse themselves when they got too close to the fire.

.
Bingo. It's a lot more transparency than we saw for the last 8 years. Maybe Sessions and the Russian ambassador were just discussing their grandchildren, like Loretta Lynch and Bill Clinton did.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #16
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,669
[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1117993]"he willfully answered the question falsely"

Here is an honest question...Did Sessions deny meeting with the ambassador, period? Or did he deny meeting with the Russian ambassador, regarding the election? The former would be a lie. The latter would not (as far as can be proven), though a little too lawyerly for my taste.

[/Q

Sessions could have said he didn't meet regarding the election but did see the Amb. 2x - once for xmin. when he stopped by and once for ymin when blah blah blah. Instead by answering the way he did, it is now up for interpretation whether he lied or not.

Don't think it is a reason to quit but a further investigation is warranted.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #17
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,252
[QUOTE=PaulS;1117997]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"he willfully answered the question falsely"

Here is an honest question...Did Sessions deny meeting with the ambassador, period? Or did he deny meeting with the Russian ambassador, regarding the election? The former would be a lie. The latter would not (as far as can be proven), though a little too lawyerly for my taste.

[/Q

Sessions could have said he didn't meet regarding the election but did see the Amb. 2x - once for xmin. when he stopped by and once for ymin when blah blah blah. Instead by answering the way he did, it is now up for interpretation whether he lied or not.

Don't think it is a reason to quit but a further investigation is warranted.
Agreed 100%. Recusal was a wise move, and there should be an investigation.

And someone needs to tell Trump's team, no more mistakes regarding Russia.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #18
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Sessions could have said he didn't meet regarding the election but did see the Amb. 2x - once for xmin. when he stopped by and once for ymin when blah blah blah.

He could have said even more than you suggest. He could have pointed out that his position in the Senate required meeting ambassadors from different countries, including Russia, that he may or may not have had even more than the two meetings he cited but couldn't remember, that other Senators had meetings with foreign ambassadors, that in the recent past during the Obama administration other Senators, even including Democrats, had met with a Russian ambassador . . . and on, and on.

A good lawyer will tell his client to answer questions specifically as asked an not to voluntarily provide more information than that which is asked. The intent of an adversarial interrogator, even if asking a seemingly innocuous question, is to evoke something which might be used against you. There was no valid reason to ask Sessions if he had met with any Russian other than if he did so in connection with influencing the election. Sessions answered exactly and specifically that valid question.


Instead by answering the way he did, it is now up for interpretation whether he lied or not.

Don't think it is a reason to quit but a further investigation is warranted.
Why does it require further investigation. The question was asked, and it was answered. If anything is now up for "interpretation" it's what was the actual point of Franken's question. Did he intend to ask if Session had met with "any" Russian for "any" reason? That would be largely inappropriate to ask. Or did he ask if Sessions met with someone in the Russian administration regarding, and influencing, the election. And that is the question Sessions answered.

Other than the intent of Franken's question, what further investigation is warranted?
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #19
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK
iTrader: (0)
 
RIROCKHOUND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westlery, RI
Posts: 9,462
Given all the optics of the Trump (Manafort, Page etc) and Russia connection, this looks bad, especially given the context of Russia/overall election and Sessions involvement/prominent support of Trump. Agree with JR, there is substantial evidence, but nothing clear that it had a tangible impact.

However, if reports are true, that travel expenses for one of the meetings was paid by the campaign, then this warrants more investigation for sure.

p.s. did anyone see Page's interview last night? What a smug, weaselly little guy he appeared to be....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #20
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,646
Old news that was not much explored by mainstream media, nor the Democrats, back in the day. But was about a real, verified, request by Ted Kennedy for Russian intervention in the 1984 election.

https://www.forbes.com/2009/08/27/te...-robinson.html

If that was OK, then what is the fuss about not yet verified current allegations. Oh, well, things change. The Russians must be a far bigger threat now than they were at the height of the Cold War.

Here is the note to Andropov by Chebrikov who had received the request from Kennedy:

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/k...-offer-to-ussr

Last edited by detbuch; 03-06-2017 at 10:54 AM..
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #21
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
Well they say if you repeat the story often enough it becomes believable.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #22
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
He answered lawyerly and stated he did not discuss things with the Russians WRT the election.

Interestingly, he did recuse himself from influence on this particular matter. Gee, wish other AGs were willing to recuse themselves when they got too close to the fire.




There is substantial evidence they tried to influence the election, there is no evidence they "hacked" the election.
thats a plus
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #23
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,438
Al Franken is a third rate comedian soooooo...

Pelosi, Schumer and friends who lie out of habit on a daily basis for a living calling someone a liar and /or questioning someone's integrity??....this is precious
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:36 PM   #24
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,438
ooops....liar liar pantsuit on fire http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...meeting-235653
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #25
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,669
Trump tweeted that Schumer met with the Russian Ambassador also. Schumer's response was he'll testify under oath what they discussed and asked if Trump and his cabinet would do the same. Somehow I don't think Pres. Trump will take him up on it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #26
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Trump tweeted that Schumer met with the Russian Ambassador also. Schumer's response was he'll testify under oath what they discussed and asked if Trump and his cabinet would do the same. Somehow I don't think Pres. Trump will take him up on it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
better be under oath, sodium pentathol and a lie detector for Schumer...or.....maybe just waterboard him.....
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #27
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Trump tweeted that Schumer met with the Russian Ambassador also. Schumer's response was he'll testify under oath what they discussed and asked if Trump and his cabinet would do the same. Somehow I don't think Pres. Trump will take him up on it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Moving the goalposts again.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #28
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Moving the goalposts again.
Not sure what you're talking about I know Trump constantly moves the goal posts. Maybe you could clarify?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #29
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
better be under oath, sodium pentathol and a lie detector for Schumer...or.....maybe just waterboard him.....
Why do you think you he lies?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #30
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,634
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Why do you think you he lies?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Po LI(e is silent) tician

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com