Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 06-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Need some fishing discussion in here.....

Just saying...... Not that there isn't enough fodder to support a political site, but this is a fishing site......

Boat is still in front of the house.... Will splash at some point in the weekend, even in the rain. But might hit the rocks for an evening tide tomorrow night depending on how hard it is blowing.

In the past 24 hours it has been almost exclusively participation in the political forum. With SOL down for a day while they do a conversion, I would have to believe some of those guys would be taking a peek over here... But there is not much being posted for them to see. Your participation counts here......

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
beamie

Yes, agreed!

I am at work 10,000 miles away so I am fishing through you guys till late August and need some good fishing stories to read. Yeah and then I get pissed I'm not home, but it's nice to hear guys having fun!

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
niko

we were into them pretty good today. acres and acres of bass rolling on the surface gorging themselves on tiny bait. beamie - ive been fishing your neck of the woods when its been too windy, its been pretty good. I've been fishing my butt off - no sign of tuna yet

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
bassballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
we were into them pretty good today. acres and acres of bass rolling on the surface gorging themselves on tiny bait. beamie - ive been fishing your neck of the woods when its been too windy, its been pretty good. I've been fishing my butt off - no sign of tuna yet
I received some decent intel today on small BFT. Looking up.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
niko

yeah looks like they got some tinys way south

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
Guppy
User

Found a new spot last night from the boat close in and did great, one was a wopper

Thought I'd try that spot from the beach tonight, Just got in ,,, zilch... Some nice out though!

Can't post pictures for some reason, don't know what happend but can't get the full site from my iPad ,,, grrrrrrr

Great season so far, three days of family stuff coming up starting tomorrow, thank god, catch up on some sleep... Been up at 2 or 3 for the boat gig then in the suds for sun sets,,,,
Road trip next week, not sure where yet, waiting for someone to tell me it's lights out somewhere LOL jokin...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #7
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
yeah looks like they got some tinys way south
U still looking for those snags ?
Old 06-16-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
Billybob

A buddy of mine went out 2 weekends ago, and set up a spread for tuna. They see whales breaching and head over, and then see the tuna breaking. Ran the spread through a couple times, but no takes. So a guy throws a tin on a spinning rod, and he's tight. They figured these fish were schoolies, maybe to 100 or so, but this one was bigger and they were way over matched. 200 feet of water, and the boat chased this fish for 19 miles - they fought it for 7.5 hours, got it near, and it straightened the hook!
I'm going flukin.
Billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:48 AM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Middle of June - time is ripe before the Doldrums ; )

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #10
Sea Dangles

I took a trip down south yesterday for the goose egg. Nice shakedown but no love,especially crappy with the east wind ruining the forecast.
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #11
Raven

allot colder this Spring
pushing calendar 30 days forward
just a farmer's perspective
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:05 AM   #12
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Middle of June - time is ripe before the Doldrums ; )
if this is the good part of the season... I might need to be put on suicide watch come july

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #13
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
if this is the good part of the season... I might need to be put on suicide watch come july

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #14
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Just saying...... Not that there isn't enough fodder to support a political site, but this is a fishing site......

Boat is still in front of the house.... Will splash at some point in the weekend, even in the rain. But might hit the rocks for an evening tide tomorrow night depending on how hard it is blowing.

In the past 24 hours it has been almost exclusively participation in the political forum. With SOL down for a day while they do a conversion, I would have to believe some of those guys would be taking a peek over here... But there is not much being posted for them to see. Your participation counts here......
I agree Ross... sadly for whatever reason some people have got overly sensitive about fish and fishing.. gone is the "help thy neighbor/newbie" mentality... I started a thread about a 60+ lb fish caught in early May in buzzards bay and the backlash was unbelievable. I was very angry at the responses I got... I love this site and have made some fantastic friends here..I don't like it when it gets ugly..most replies IMHO were very immature and showed an insecurity in their replies...and to be honest a general lack of knowledge on the subject... I've been fishing on my own for over 50 years..I have ( and still do on a small scale) commercially trap eels...I've owned and operated a gill netter...run lobster gear.. run a stick boat and have caught enough tuna on hand lines and rod and reel that my arms and back ache thinking about it...and oh yea I know a little about striped bass too...so like the Farmers commercial. I know a thing or two ... because I've seen a thing or two..
I don't visit the site here as much anymore because fishing related conservation always seems to turn to "spot burn" or some negative spin... I'm protective of my exact locations too. Being farther north we have even less quality fish than my fellow anglers to the south.. so when the big girls are in season...I cringe at some of the reports.. but they have been and always will be part of life.. we all need to act( myself included) like we've been there... but the Mention of a general area just is not worth an all out flame war in my eyes .. if we are visiting the site, it means we are not fishing and the site is/should be a way to keep us in touch with the hobby we all love so much..maybe it's just me.
I only frequent a few other sites. Both are much smaller but are suffering from lack of participation as well..

OK with that of my chest...

I'm at a new marina this year for the first time in 30 years and am loving life.
Merrimack river seems to have adopted every schoolie on the planet( so it seems)... fish from 10" to 26" seem to be everywhere.. tide doesn't matter as long as the water is moving... the inshore ocean is starting to clean up... last weekend the mud line extend out 5 miles.. ... effectively killing the inshore haddock spawning grounds.. mackerel were very hard to come by as well.. I took the 5 baits I had ( keeping them in the murky saltwater in my bait tank) and took them back to one of my favorite spring haunts a few miles up river ...they went belly up in the tea colored river water ( at high tide) in a mater of minutes.. the only customers were fish too small to eat the dead bait.
this week the water has warmed up( in the river.. 60... at high tide) and cleared up.. eels have started to run better. Partially due to the lessening of debris clogging the funnel. Mostly because the water temp has risen... I still haven't used an eel ..I fished Sunday night -Thursday night with a 10lb specimen the largest fish I saw all week... I caught hundreds of 26 - 30" fish all on 9" white or eel colored sluggos , needle fish and an eelie swimmer... I'm expecting some of those fish that were to the south to make it here for the new moon and hopefully displace some of these little guys.. the bloom is off the rose. All these little guy's are great for the future ..but... I want something a little larger.. the period of the 22nd - the 26th of June has for the last 30 years provide me with the biggest fish each season.. 13 of my 18 fish over 50 have come during that time slot. Most from the same "spot". I've planned vacation time accordingly..

Tight lines all
Roc

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
Joe, come to CC, we have straight jackets and some fish, pick your poison.... :-)
Old 06-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #16
redlite

Horrible spring. Not much time to fish but when have Cold water and cold temps have made it more of an iron man event to hang
Fish, even flipflops, have been very scarce in all my haunts. Figured out why the other nite. My worst fears are becoming reality as seals have now spread across the bay in numbers and taken over the hood.
No bueno
And now according to magic seaweed its gonna howl and be big for about the next 2 weeks. F off
Im still not takin up golf
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #17
bassballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I took a trip down south yesterday for the goose egg. Nice shakedown but no love,especially crappy with the east wind ruining the forecast.
Was out as well. Boy did that forecast change!?!?
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #18
bobber

in CT we've been waiting for the bite to get started..... the "its gonna bust wide open" phrase has been used so many times I'm gonna puke. theres bait everywhere- all kinds- bunker up the whazzoo, squid balls in deep water, and even some round herring here and there. only thing missing is the fish....

I guess they're all up on the Cape.............(?)
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #19
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Still hitting sea bass up inside BB, yesterday was insane, every cast was a fish and every fish I reeled in had a couple trailing. Had a limit in 15 minutes, fished for fun for a couple hours looking for fluke, but couldn't keep the sea bass from smacking my 4" split tail.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #20
5/0
Eels

Hey Ross long time no hear/speak I hope all is well on your end.
yes this is a fishing web site with a ton of good peeps,as for discussion on talk of whats what.my filter blew off years ago and the anti PC $hit is out of the window. WTF yea.....
the election is over can"t the left wingers except that? wtf{again},.
on a lighter note Ive been out only a few times hooked up with Timbah twice and bagged a 35# on a plug,gonna hit the salt tomorrow and enjoy the fun.

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #21
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
Hey Ross long time no hear/speak I hope all is well on your end.
yes this is a fishing web site with a ton of good peeps,as for discussion on talk of whats what.my filter blew off years ago and the anti PC $hit is out of the window. WTF yea.....
the election is over can"t the left wingers except that? wtf{again},.
on a lighter note Ive been out only a few times hooked up with Timbah twice and bagged a 35# on a plug,gonna hit the salt tomorrow and enjoy the fun.
Bobby, I'm fishing on Sunday with your nephew. Come on down and we'll have a Father's Day beer after.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #22
5/0
Eels

gonna fish all night Saturday into Sun with Kyle,Higgie,Terry and the crew why don't you join? BTW I've been out of State for a bit and lost my phone,got rocked last night........ yeah that's why my phone is MIA.

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #23
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I have been slightly off this Spring. I found pogies where there were none 3 days ago. I had already been out for 4 hours so my knee was aching and I left the bait.

Yup, you guessed it. I got the call from Clammer who said "you should have stayed with the bait you found" Couple of 40#+ fish, a few 30#+ and lots of 20s.

So now the weather is crappy but I'm going regardless. Don't love the tide either but even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #24
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
This site is a shell of what it once was.
Politics forum rules now over fishing for a couple of years or more now.
Facebook, Twitter and a few others probably had plenty to do with it also.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #25
tysdad115

I was out with Paul and some other guy yesterday..great day. Tons of bass feeding on small sand eels made a fun/frustrating day. That was my first boat ho excursion this year.
I've fished shore and canal sparcely this year so far. My best highlight was bringing​ one of Ty's friends to canal, he's never caught a bass..we were able to get him on 4 fish in 2 days. No matter how long you've been catching there's nothing like helping a kid catch his first. A lot of times people forget catching fish is secondary..
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #26
tysdad115

Oh and Russia !!!
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #27
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
gonna fish all night Saturday into Sun with Kyle,Higgie,Terry and the crew why don't you join? BTW I've been out of State for a bit and lost my phone,got rocked last night........ yeah that's why my phone is MIA.
I can't get out tomorrow. Taking my son and Dad to the Revs game for an early Fathers Day get together. That's why I'm going Sunday. Higgie is gonna be at the Dead & Co show but I'm gonna make Kyle go. He doesn't need his arm twisted to go fishing.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #28
HookLine&Sinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I can't get out tomorrow. Taking my son and Dad to the Revs game for an early Fathers Day get together. That's why I'm going Sunday. Higgie is gonna be at the Dead & Co show but I'm gonna make Kyle go. He doesn't need his arm twisted to go fishing.

Were playing roll reversal right now, i should be the one out getting banged up and having a social life. I realized that tonight being a 23 y.o. On a friday night staying in doing gear maintenance, re-arranging my plug bag and tying leaders. I dont even get a phone call or text to go out to the bars anymore, my friends know better.

As far as the site, i check it every day. just dont post much, trying to keep myself from saying dumb sh!t on the internet is all. Expecially looking back at all my old posts when i was younger

"We're onto Cincinnati."-God

"Wanna know which ring is my favorite? The next one."-Jesus
HookLine&Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:29 AM   #29
Rmarsh

Been fishing from shore a couple of nights a week for the last month or so...lots of small fish ...very few over 30".
Been seeing more seals

Took the boat out for the first time on monday for a shakedown...right after launch my electronics went dead so had to cut the trip short...got that straightened out and headed back out on thursday, this time with my son to target sea bass.

Got to the spot and instantly hooked up with some really good sized beauties, got our limit within an hour. Very good eating they are!
On the way back to the ramp we stopped at the mouth of the river and caught a few small stripers casting plugs.

One on one time with my 26 year old son was the best part of the day, I enjoy his company so much, but with his work schedule, we dont get a lot of time to spend together.

"Cats in the cradle with a silver spoon
little boy blue and the man in the moon
when ya coming home dad i dont know when
but we'll get together then, dad
you know we'll have a good time then"
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #30
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookLine&Sinker View Post
Were playing roll reversal right now, i should be the one out getting banged up and having a social life. I realized that tonight being a 23 y.o. On a friday night staying in doing gear maintenance, re-arranging my plug bag and tying leaders. I dont even get a phone call or text to go out to the bars anymore, my friends know better.

As far as the site, i check it every day. just dont post much, trying to keep myself from saying dumb sh!t on the internet is all. Expecially looking back at all my old posts when i was younger
Hey!
Good to see ya here
I'll be in touch end of the month, rest up... :-)