Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
basswipe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
basswipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: RI
Posts: 5,541
Bergdahl freed

With nothing more than a dishonorable discharge and will forfeit his pay of $1000 per month for ten months.

Out free with a $10,000 fine and a piece of paper.I'm pretty sure the Go Fund Me page has the fine covered and then some.

Sickening.

Last edited by basswipe; 11-03-2017 at 01:10 PM..
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,530
Show me where he left to serve with the tablan and fought against his country and his fellow solider or gave them aid to kill Americans . did he make videos for them? if any of those things happened put a bullet in him ..



I dont let emotion overshadow reason . desertion is desertion their are no good ones or bad or worst kinds of desertions..

FYI Historically the US does not aggressively go after deserters
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
Slipknot
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
Slipknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 16,087
Didn't the terrorists released in exchange for him kill Americans? So should we put a bullet in Obama?

"A government that does not trust it's law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust" James Madison

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Regan
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
basswipe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
basswipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: RI
Posts: 5,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Show me where he left to serve with the tablan and fought against his country and his fellow solider or gave them aid to kill Americans . did he make videos for them? if any of those things happened put a bullet in him ..



I dont let emotion overshadow reason . desertion is desertion their are no good ones or bad or worst kinds of desertions..

FYI Historically the US does not aggressively go after deserters
Are you stupid or just have some kind of brain disorder?Did you even read my post?Nothing in my post suggested that he left to "serve" the taliban or fought against this country.

In your own words he's guilty of DESERTION.Under the UCMJ that is punishable by death.The prosecution wanted 14yrs to serve.He WALKED!!!

Btw tell the family of MSGT Mark Allen what you think,he can't speak or walk because he was out looking for a puke who voluntarily DESERTED HIS POST!!!

And you bet your sorry ass I let emotion play a role!I'm a Fvcking vet.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:08 AM   #5
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Are you stupid or just have some kind of brain disorder?Did you even read my post?Nothing in my post suggested that he left to "serve" the taliban or fought against this country.

In your own words he's guilty of DESERTION.Under the UCMJ that is punishable by death.The prosecution wanted 14yrs to serve.He WALKED!!!

Btw tell the family of MSGT Mark Allen what you think,he can't speak or walk because he was out looking for a puke who voluntarily DESERTED HIS POST!!!

And you bet your sorry ass I let emotion play a role!I'm a Fvcking vet.
Glad your not a judge We were not at War so the death as punishment would not apply .. so it seems the judge went with sec 3 a felt 5 years as a prisoner of the Taliban fit the max he could impose

Article 85 - Desertion

(3) If the member deserted with the intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service (and example of this would be a member ordered to deploy to Iraq and then deserts to avoid the deployment): Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, reduction to the lowest enlisted grade, and confinement for 5 years.

(4) If the member deserts during time of war: Death or such other punishment (such as life in prison) as a court-martial may direct.




An Associated Press examination of Pentagon figures shows that 174 troops were court-martialed by the Army last year for desertion — a figure that amounts to just 5 percent of the 3,301 soldiers who deserted in fiscal year 2006. The figures are about 1 percent or less for the Navy and the Marines, according to data obtained by the AP under the Freedom of Information Act.
Some deserters are simply allowed to return to their units, while the majority are discharged in non-criminal proceedings on less-than-honorable terms.

I am a Vet and I am not surprised by the verdict as I said seeing they couldn't get him for aiding the enemy .. as for the argument tell the family of MSGT Mark Allen the missions the mission its called combat I had troops get IED escorting Christmas decorations shot at going on missions based on cell phone tip lines in Iraq . I feel for the families who lost any one in combat . combat patrols are dangerous Bergdahls action exposed more troop but he did not make Afghanistan more dangerous ... this argument if felt by leaders and troops that we wont search for missing troops because we think is this another Bergdahl or until we know and feel the missions its worth it .... is just not compatible with how the Military works

a good read about what hasn't been said in the media .. look at what they call the Bergdahl effect http://www.newsweek.com/2016/02/05/s...ow-419962.html

Last edited by wdmso; 11-04-2017 at 07:09 AM..
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,700
Blog Entries: 1
Bergdahl's little walkabout cost the lives and futures of several of his Company.

I see your point regarding not wanting to cloud further searches for Americans, but instead it has clouded what may or may not be done when someone deserts his post.

So counter argument, "pour les encouragement des les autre"


https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ury/798813001/

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Bergdahl's little walkabout cost the lives and futures of several of his Company.

I see your point regarding not wanting to cloud further searches for Americans, but instead it has clouded what may or may not be done when someone deserts his post.

So counter argument, "pour les encouragement des les autre"


https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ury/798813001/
I dont dispute his actions cost lives .Rather based on the details of the case as a whole 5 years being held by the Taliban is punishment enough ..

Seeing the Military makes little effort to punish deserters
Although numbers rising, only 5 percent of lawbreakers reprimanded
all influenced the judge and i think many in the public think deserters are treated harshly or Shot as the POTUS suggested or a guy i heard at dinner last night 1 table over
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AP_MILITARY_DESERTERS.gif
Views:	6
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	64695  
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #8
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I dont dispute his actions cost lives .Rather based on the details of the case as a whole 5 years being held by the Taliban is punishment enough ..

Seeing the Military makes little effort to punish deserters
Although numbers rising, only 5 percent of lawbreakers reprimanded
all influenced the judge and i think many in the public think deserters are treated harshly or Shot as the POTUS suggested or a guy i heard at dinner last night 1 table over
I personally don't know how court martials and punishments actually work. But I'm curious as to what your opinion on how punishments would be meted if all of the deserters in your survey had been similar to Bergdahl's--going over to the enemy and costing lives. Would there be a more severe punishment if that were the case, in order to discourage such desertions.

And would, if all desertions were the type of Bergdahl's, would it be proper for a presidential administration to treat the deserters with honor before they were even tried?
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,718
The military said that no lives were lost. However a dog was lost and soldiers were severely and permanently injured looking for him. He had mental health problems before and was treated horrendously in captivity and I believe will have permanent injuries because of that. President Trump's comments did not help. I can see both sides to this argument.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The military said that no lives were lost. However a dog was lost and soldiers were severely and permanently injured looking for him. He had mental health problems before and was treated horrendously in captivity and I believe will have permanent injuries because of that. President Trump's comments did not help. I can see both sides to this argument.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
While I completely get the stigma that desertion deserves, how the mental health aspects of this don't get any consideration is beyond me. Sounds like the court did take this into account and found it significant.

That Trump would blast the very process he's in charge of is laughable. Note to everyone in uniform. POTUS doesn't have your back.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #11
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
While I completely get the stigma that desertion deserves, how the mental health aspects of this don't get any consideration is beyond me. Sounds like the court did take this into account and found it significant.

Why was he even allowed to be on active duty if he had mental health problems? Who has the soldiers back if one who is mentally disturbed is allowed to serve alongside of them?

That Trump would blast the very process he's in charge of is laughable.


That's a stupid comment. Why wouldn't someone who takes over a process that is failing in some manner not blast it?

Note to everyone in uniform. POTUS doesn't have your back.
Not if you're a deserter.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Why was he even allowed to be on active duty if he had mental health problems? Who has the soldiers back if one who is mentally disturbed is allowed to serve alongside of them?
Is that his fault?

Quote:
That's a stupid comment. Why wouldn't someone who takes over a process that is failing in some manner not blast it?
He's not blaming the military for allowing Berghdal to serve, he's blaming the court who served the justice. Trump is completely out of touch.

Quote:
Not if you're a deserter.
Ahhh, again with the stigma. Perhaps if people wanted to engage openly this could enter into a constructive dialogue about the realities of mental health and war...both going in and coming home.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #13
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Is that his fault?

What exactly was his mental health problem? Did the military know about it? Did Bergdahl, know about it in his normal phases? Was it being attended to by anybody? If he wanted to leave the Army, having mental health issues would be a much better way than deserting to the Taliban. If going to the Taliban was a result of his mental health issues, he must have been pretty far down the koo-koo path. Certainly, the military should be responsible for endangering the other troops and the mission by allowing a mentally ill soldier to be on active duty in a war theater.

He's not blaming the military for allowing Berghdal to serve, he's blaming the court who served the justice. Trump is completely out of touch.

So, when you said it was laughable that Trump "would blast the very process he's in charge of", were you saying that Trump was in charge of the military court process? In what way would he be in charge of that?

Ahhh, again with the stigma. Perhaps if people wanted to engage openly this could enter into a constructive dialogue about the realities of mental health and war...both going in and coming home.
I think desertion was a charge, not a stigma, for which he was found guilty. Calling it a stigma would be no different then calling murder a stigma.

Has there not been a constructive dialogue about the realities of mental health and war? Or do you mean in this thread? I suppose you could insert that discussion. But, then, that might be a more laughable discussion than Trump blasting whoever he blasted.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #14
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Not if you're a deserter.
Exactly.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com