Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #61
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Spence seems to think a lot less of Israelis than Trump.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I'd wager Trump knows little about Israel other than having some Jewish friends in New York.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #62
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Having an ally in the Middle East, when we are at war with jihadists, doesn’t help us in any way that you see? You don’t think we share intelligence with Israel?

Jerusalem is the capital of Israel, that’s not complicated. What if next, the jihadistsbdecude they hate music? Do we pretend there’s no such thing as music?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
they were already our ally !! and they haven't let us use their air bases to attack theses Jihadist why do you think that is ?? for the same reason the US has steered clear of the Jerusalem question for decades

Whats your take on settlements legit or just land grab like we did with the American Indians
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #63
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,815
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
If memory serves me correctly the city has had many owners over the past 3 millennium.

The 1947 protocol intended to keep the city under International control. When Israel announced all of Jerusalem to be their capital in 1980 it was found to be a violation of international law.

It's complicated, but I don't think you can just issue a mandate and expect everyone to follow.
It is complicated, however the open status of Jerusalem has been under pressure due to minor things like invasions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
they were already our ally !! and they haven't let us use their air bases to attack theses Jihadist why do you think that is ?? for the same reason the US has steered clear of the Jerusalem question for decades

Whats your take on settlements legit or just land grab like we did with the American Indians
Did Israel grab the land? Or did they not relinquish it after each and every attack on them?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #64
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
It is complicated, however the open status of Jerusalem has been under pressure due to minor things like invasions...



Did Israel grab the land? Or did they not relinquish it after each and every attack on them?
settlements are a land grab thats clear as day

keeping land after a conflict . called occupied territories please note the area around jerusalem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MSNBC_Map_Cropped.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	64747  
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #65
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,567
Is your suggestion to give the land back after a conflict? Please elaborate. Tell your s what you would do?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #66
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,644
Israel has also removed settlements and offered backnprevious strips of land. It didn’t make anyone stop hating them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:59 AM   #67
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Is your suggestion to give the land back after a conflict? Please elaborate. Tell your s what you would do?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Thats what the peace process was designed to hammer out


What land have we kept after a conflict ..
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:03 AM   #68
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Israel has also removed settlements and offered backnprevious strips of land. It didn’t make anyone stop hating them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
build 10 remove one.. I love your reasoning


3\4 the arab world hate them for what they do.. the rest have always hated them for political reason and history ..

in the USA 3\4 love them for political reasons the rest clearly see what they do and dont give them a pass and the right says we hate them
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #69
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 15,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
What land have we kept after a conflict ..
Guam

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #70
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,815
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Thats what the peace process was designed to hammer out


What land have we kept after a conflict ..
The Thirteen Colonies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
build 10 remove one.. I love your reasoning


3\4 the arab world hate them for what they do.. the rest have always hated them for political reason and history ..

in the USA 3\4 love them for political reasons the rest clearly see what they do and dont give them a pass and the right says we hate them
The Arab world hates them because it is popular with the little guy and because Religion - not politics. Well not fair because for many Arabs Politics IS Religion.

Some of us also like the Underdog, an American thing, and the Israelis have been the poster-child Underdog for 4000 years.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #71
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
The Arab world hates them because it is popular with the little guy and because Religion - not politics. Well not fair because for many Arabs Politics IS Religion.
Jews and Muslims have lived side by side peacefully in the region through long stretches...it's all about politics and power first, religion second.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #72
Pete F.
Master tråd morder
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 2,335
I find it interesting that people who support the nation of Israel based on historic claims, do not support Native Americans claim to sovereignty when they controlled all of the New World 500 years ago.
Palestinians historically were the residents of Palestine and comprised a number of tribes, one of which became known as the Jews.
It is a long and complicated history and Jerusalem has been in the possession of many rulers. The British plan of dividing up the middle east into separate entities has not worked very well yet, has it? It will be hard to change because fortunes rest on the outcome and no one wants to lose their share.

Pete
Formerly known as bluefishercat
"Plugs
There are about 4,000,000 of these on the market. Not really, but that's just the way it seems (and some guy just invented 3 more while I was writing this sentence)."
How To Catch Salt Water Fish by Bill Wisner copyright 1955
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #73
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I find it interesting that people who support the nation of Israel based on historic claims, do not support Native Americans claim to sovereignty when they controlled all of the New World 500 years ago.

The "New World" was not a nation 500 years ago. The inhabited sections were populated by different tribes, not one people, who at various times and places, fought with each other. One of the first efforts at some form of unity was by the Iroquois, which by no means included all "Native Americans," and was an effort in response to European settlers. I suppose, restoring all of the "New World" to the various tribes, what is left of them, would be the end of the U.S. Perhaps the U.N. could settle the matter for us.

Palestinians historically were the residents of Palestine and comprised a number of tribes, one of which became known as the Jews.
It is a long and complicated history and Jerusalem has been in the possession of many rulers. The British plan of dividing up the middle east into separate entities has not worked very well yet, has it? It will be hard to change because fortunes rest on the outcome and no one wants to lose their share.
Records seem to show that there was no such ethnicity as Palestinian.
Here's a bit of history, probably from a Jewish perspective, but open to debunking by anyone who wants to give it a try:

http://www.indaweb.com/oil/editorial...service01l.htm
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #74
Pete F.
Master tråd morder
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 2,335
One would need to remember that Native Americans had a different view of the world that was not based on owning property but living as part of the world around them.
Didn't work out well for them, did it?

There is no more an ethnicity of Palestinians than there is of residents of the United States, Americans.
That link is very much to a current Jewish perspective IMHO.
But what I said was Palestine was "were the residents of Palestine and comprised a number of tribes, one of which became known as the Jews"
Look at it from a much longer period of history like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine
for Palestine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem
And this for Jerusalem

Pete
Formerly known as bluefishercat
"Plugs
There are about 4,000,000 of these on the market. Not really, but that's just the way it seems (and some guy just invented 3 more while I was writing this sentence)."
How To Catch Salt Water Fish by Bill Wisner copyright 1955
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #75
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Guam
and who did they take it from see how this goes
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:06 PM   #76
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,567
They took if from the Spanish Kingdom who relinquished the territory without incident.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #77
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 15,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
They took if from the Spanish Kingdom who relinquished the territory without incident.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #78
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
One would need to remember that Native Americans had a different view of the world that was not based on owning property but living as part of the world around them.

That makes it difficult, then, to compare notions of Native American "sovereignty" regarding property, to land disputes between Israelis and "Palestinians."

Didn't work out well for them, did it?

Perhaps, there is a lesson for us there regarding borders and immigration.

There is no more an ethnicity of Palestinians than there is of residents of the United States, Americans.

Agreed. Israel seems to be far closer to the identity mix that comprises the U.S. Not so much similarity of identity mix in the Palestinian territories.

That link is very much to a current Jewish perspective IMHO.

I agree with that. But is it incorrect?

But what I said was Palestine was "were the residents of Palestine and comprised a number of tribes, one of which became known as the Jews"

In that case, then the Jews there are also Palestinian. And so would be the Christians. Sounds like civil war among Palestinians.

Look at it from a much longer period of history like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine
for Palestine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem
And this for Jerusalem
That history decided sovereignties by war. Maybe that's what going on there now.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #79
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,637
its hard to to speak about issues in modern times when people want to time travel back to May 10, 1898. to justify seizing land after a conflict in the 60's
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #80
Cool Beans
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Cool Beans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 866
TO be absolutely honest using the same logic, this could be the map of the US. How different would it be if some more powerful people, forced us return the land? We have been here only a few hundred years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	united-states-map.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	64752  
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #81
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
TO be absolutely honest using the same logic, this could be the map of the US. How different would it be if some more powerful people, forced us return the land? We have been here only a few hundred years.
makes a pretty solid great case for strong secure borders and no illegal immigration does't it?
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #82
Cool Beans
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Cool Beans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
makes a pretty solid great case for strong secure borders and no illegal immigration does't it?
Indeed it does. LOL
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #83
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 1,637
Jerusalem UN vote: Trump threatens US aid recipients

UN Nikki Haley warned member states that President Trump had asked her to report on "who voted against us"



http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42431095
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #84
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Jerusalem UN vote: Trump threatens US aid recipients

UN Nikki Haley warned member states that President Trump had asked her to report on "who voted against us"



http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42431095
Par for the course. Less concerned with policy as much as retribution.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #85
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,895
How dare you not give us money! We won't stand for such a threat!!
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #86
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Par for the course. Less concerned with policy as much as retribution.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
He is vindictive but I am not sure where you drew this opinion from. His policy is not exactly choosing the easy road. Your insider must have told you about Trumps priorities.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #87
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Par for the course. Less concerned with policy as much as retribution.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
What a joke. We are the laughing stock of the world thanks to Cheeto.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #88
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,567
We have been the laughing stock for a long time. We just aren't the suckers we once were. Don't despair, it won't stop the rest of the world from trying to bend us over and take advantage.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #89
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 16,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
He is vindictive but I am not sure where you drew this opinion from. His policy is not exactly choosing the easy road. Your insider must have told you about Trumps priorities.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
It's from watching his behavior.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #90
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,567
No argument here
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com