Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
spence

Dishwasher - repair or replace?

Bought a Kitchenaid dishwasher about 6 years ago from the Sears Outlet. Paid about $450 for a $700 washer.

It's leaking water very badly from underneath on the left hand side. Inlet and outlet look ok, door gasket is brand new, it's level and from what I can tell it's not overfilling.

Here's the issue. The most likely problem now would be the gasket between the basin and the pump, which on this washer is a non-serviceable Bosch assembly. You have to replace the entire unit at a cost of about $175-200 for the part alone.

A service call is $80 minimum. Ok, there's a chance they could find something stupid and it would end there...but a decent chance the repair could near three bills.

Thoughts?

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Have the guy take a look at it and at least troubleshoot it Spence. Then your out $100 or so and it's not so bad to replace it. 6 years is decent for a dishwasher if it's used alot. One thing to remember also is the internet is a GREAT place for troubleshooting stuff like this...put the model number in google and see what it spits back out "xyz leaking" etc. Might be a common problem for that model and others having the same problems. I did this on a washing machine about 2 years ago and it turned out to be a bad shaft donut/coupler that always caused the problem, $35 later and 20 minutes of work I been running the thing since.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Give it the ol' college try with the internet search then replace it Spence, spare yourself the headache and just replace it..
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Raven

2 words

buy american
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
partsjay
Let's Rock!

If you can, I would just replace it....I think if you used it alot, it's about time...they are easy to install....did mine no problem....if not, having a Pro troubleshoot it is probably the best way....parts can get expensive after you fire the wrong parts at it a couple times.
partsjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
gone fishin

Spence - check the overflow unit on the dishwasher - it is inside and looks like a dome. See if the unit is leaking on the seam where it attaches to the bottom of the tub. They have a habit of rusting out there. Happened to my dishwasher and it also was a Kitchen Aid. I had to replace it. Good luck.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
redcrbbr
here fishy fishy

Send a message via ICQ to redcrbbr Send a message via AIM to redcrbbr Send a message via Yahoo to redcrbbr
spence, take a look, they really are a pretty simple set up. chances are one of the hose connections or the pump may be leaking. In which case if it is a clamp, you have ruled out stupid.
Dave/ F18 put this link up a while ago. it may br helpful
http://www.repairclinic.com/

redcrbbr
of all the things i've lost...i miss my mind the most!!

redcrbbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
Van
zoom

IMO I would just replace it. The new models are quieter, wash better and are more efficient.
I replaced my old one after about 8-10 years with a Whirlpool quiet partner II. Very nice machine does a much better job.

I installed it quick and easy.

Good Luck....

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
gf2020

I say replace it; 5-7 years seems about typical for dishwashers these days.

I put a Bosch DW in our house last year. I can't say it works any better than the GE unit that it replaced but it sure is quiet.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #10
spence

I'll check the overflow unit again...I assume that's the float switch?

Pretty sure it's not any of the connections underneath. It drains fine as well, don't think there's a blockage. No soap issues either...I think all the basics are covered...

I installed this one...it's quite easy.

I think my parents Kitchenaid lasted what? 15 years

-spence
Old 06-26-2007, 04:25 AM   #11
stiff tip

replace it for the money dont b cheap ,,,,in 2 yrs u would throw it out anyhow.... right...
stiff tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:38 AM   #12
MrHunters
What was that!?!

its easy to say replace it when it's not your money...

i'd have that thing apart in a heartbeat with my laptop and google as my primary tools.

as scott said, the internet is a fantastic resource for things one normally would have no business tackling.

im sure there is a crazy forum somewhere for kitchen appliances...

striped-appliances.com/forums
-----
i've done so many projects that would have cost me $$$$$$$$ if it wasn't for google
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:50 AM   #13
MakoMike

You sure about the gasket around the pump not being replaceable? We just had that done on our Kitchenaid last year.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:07 AM   #14
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Lightbulb

your time is worth more than you think.

just replace it.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
2na

I'm in the property management biz with 170 apartment and 20+ years experience. Before you go blow the high $ on a new machine, either internet seach the prob as recommended by a few posts, or retain the services of a repairman who has experience with your brand. Personally, I would go for the repairman 1st. For a good washer, 6 years is nothing. Keep in mind that your time is money too.

The usual reason why that gasket between the basin and the pump goes is because a glass broke in the machine and a piece of glass got in and chewed it up. Do you recall this happening recently?
2na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:23 AM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
You sure about the gasket around the pump not being replaceable? We just had that done on our Kitchenaid last year.
That what I had read...but I could be wrong. I do see some parts available which would lead me to believe you may be right.

I'll check again.

-spence
Old 06-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #17
Jimbo

I'd call some other repair places first, $80 sounds a little high just to come out to see what the problem is. I've found with my washer and dryer the guy waived his $30.00 fee to troubleshoot if I had him do the job.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #18
fish4striper

Can you pull it out and run it? Are the hose and wires long enough? This would give you a visual on where it's leaking.
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #19
Mr. Sandman

You probably can fix it, they are pretty simple...that said They are only "designed" for a lifespan of 7 years or so with normal useage...Yes you get squeeze a lot more life out of them if you patch them up but as Van said the new ones are much nicer. Buy a new one and your wife will love it and you for it (read: and let you spend more time fishing cause your a good husband!)

Hey it cheaper then diamonds! Women like the kitchen bling, trust me.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

you guys are making me feel good, my dishwasher has been acting up lately....I checked the manual the people we bought the house from and it was installed when the house was new....1988.
It is a kitchenaid.
new ones are pretty expensive,......of course my wife has to have stainless...............

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 AM   #21
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Deleted to protect the silly people -

***Once a clown, always a clown ,,,,*** Edited by the Clown editing committee***

Last edited by bloocrab; 06-27-2007 at 06:00 PM..

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #22
MakoMike

Bloocrab,
That is totally not cool. Basically you ripped the guy off.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #23
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Appliances

Spence get a hold of Eelskimmer. He works at Home Cheapo and says that he sometimes knows of outrageously cheap deals from time to time.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #24
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
In my latest adventure,

My dryer's "Manufacturer's Warranty" period had just expired when it stopped working.

He then placed the order over the phone and told me to expect the part within 3 working days...???....Apparently the part was being shipped directly to my residence and he or another technician would be out that day or the following day to install it.

Ummmm, YEP!....that's exactly what I did. I installed the part myself the day it arrived. ................

He not only came out to pick up the box, but the only charge I received was for the initial service call. I paid $60.00 instead of at least $410.00

Sorry for the long story but like others said, get a technician out there. You never know what might happen.
There is a legal warranty on this after the repairman discovers that you switched the bad control for the good control its call the statue of limitations warranty. It guarantees that you can be charge with the crime of larceny for up to six years. I can't believe you even posted this.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #25
zacs
D'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I can't believe you even posted this.
me either.
Wow.
I was with you right until you admitted stealing the part.
Do the work yourself, SURE! but steal the part???

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #26
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

...They don't ship parts to your home for that exact reason. ,,, Either I have a terrible sense of humor or I'm just tough to read, my bad.

.....It's been deleted. A sign of guilt? Did the crab do it? ......... ,,,and now a word from our sponsor.

Last edited by bloocrab; 06-27-2007 at 06:07 PM..

Old 06-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #27
spence

Ok, it's going to be replaced...

If anyone wants a shot at repairing it and have a decent dishwasher for cheap...come and get it

-spence
Old 06-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #28
basswipe

STOP!!!!!!!!

Try this!http://www3.sears.com/

I got parts for a 20yr old grill.Buy a new a washer?Why do that its not that old.Buy a new washer is just plain %$%$%$%$ty advice.Find the leak and replace the part.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #29
basswipe

Nevermind,Sears has nothing to do with Kitchenaid.

Sure you bought it at the Sears outlet?If you did....sol Spence.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:40 AM   #30
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

On a serious note, I am in the troubleshoot and repair business and believe me when I tell you, parts are marked up well over 200%.

It's a NO-WIN situation for the consumer.

60% of the people will replace it

35% of the people will try to repair it once

15% of the people will spend more money trying to repair it and end up spending as much as a new one would have cost. .....

05% of the people don't know how to figure out percentages so all these stats don't matter anyway...

I've had customers cancel service calls after discovering the price we charge for basic parts (keyboard/mouse/power supplies/etc) as opposed to BestBuy or Walmart prices,,,<after the problem is diagnosed of course> (hence my earlier post). I don't mind when they do it as it strengthens our customer/client relationship. They know other technicians/companies would replace mainboards first before realizing the pin was bent on the P/S2 connection.

You seem like a smart guy spence, if you can't get a handle on it, it's probably going to be an expensive fix...so you're probably making the right decision.