Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
Van
zoom

Why is the epoxy turning white?

I have a custom rod that was built for me many years ago.
Its still a work horse, but the other day while fishing in the rain/mist the coating on the wrapping was getting whitish and was not clear anymore (is that described enough?). Once the weather dried out, the coating went back to clear.
Is it junk? Does it need re-coating? I don't want to have an issue later so maybe there is a fix now.

Any help is appreciated.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
JeffH
Boat by Day Surf by Night

My guess is the rod was color preserved using water base color preserver. Since the rod is a couple of years old you probably have a couple of cracks in the finish around the guides or the finish is not completely covering the end of the wraps. When the rod gets wet the color preserver goes cloudy and when it dries it goes clear again.
JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Van
zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
My guess is the rod was color preserved using water base color preserver. Since the rod is a couple of years old you probably have a couple of cracks in the finish around the guides or the finish is not completely covering the end of the wraps. When the rod gets wet the color preserver goes cloudy and when it dries it goes clear again.
Hmm...good thought, but even the section just above the top grip completely turns color, I don't think there would be cracks around that area as it barely bends at all there. The finish looks very good (completely covering threads) and it nice and thick too. BTW when I said years ago I meant like 20 years ago.

Still if thats the issue, can it be re-sealed so I don't get damage>?

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
JeffH
Boat by Day Surf by Night

I'm still sticking with the water. Water can easily get under the grip if it's cork or hypalon. I have a rod that only has color preserver on it and it clouds when used and then drys clear, it's never had epoxy on it.
JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I agree with Jeff. It's moisture. Most rods start exhibiting this cloudiness when you leave them outside in humidity, fog, dew, rain and so on.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
Van
zoom

Cool, so when its wet out this happens.
Is there a fix?

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 10-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
junkmansj

Get someone to rebuild it over the Winter
junkmansj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
FishHawk

It's water that gets in and clouds the finish. Just have a rod builder refinish the wraps. FishHawk
FishHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
Van
zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHawk View Post
It's water that gets in and clouds the finish. Just have a rod builder refinish the wraps. FishHawk

You mean just go over whats there?
Or remove and redo?

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 10-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Remove and re-do, if it matters to you.

All wraps do this over time--even those done by the best builders.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #11
Saltheart

get it good and dry indoors a few weeks , then a coat of finish over the old will seal it. be sure the finish is applied past the end of the old finish by about 1/4 inch. that way it will seal the ends and also cover any place where the CP was not covered by the first epoxy finish.

As I understand it , water gets in cracks but also it goes under an uncracked finish where the original color preserver coat may not have been covered. If the CP coat extends past the epoxy over it , the cp eventually desolves away and the water gets under the epoxy at the edge.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #12
Van
zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
get it good and dry indoors a few weeks , then a coat of finish over the old will seal it. be sure the finish is applied past the end of the old finish by about 1/4 inch. that way it will seal the ends and also cover any place where the CP was not covered by the first epoxy finish.

As I understand it , water gets in cracks but also it goes under an uncracked finish where the original color preserver coat may not have been covered. If the CP coat extends past the epoxy over it , the cp eventually desolves away and the water gets under the epoxy at the edge.

Sounds like a good winter project. I would guess I can get the "finish" at a local shop>? Is it a 2-part product, or what do you recommend. I even have a slow turning motor set-up.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 10-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #13
Saltheart

take it to Mike T. Let him coat it. You will definitely mess it up if you have not done it before.

Saltheart
Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #14
Van
zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
take it to Mike T. Let him coat it. You will definitely mess it up if you have not done it before.
OK Thanks,
But who is Mike T. ???

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 10-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #15
Saltheart

Mike T at M+D's on Main St Wareham and Capecodtackle.com , etc.

Saltheart
Old 10-09-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
Van
zoom

Thats who I thought you meant...Thanks

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 10-17-2007, 06:07 AM   #17
beamie

Van,

I can do it for you after I get home from work in late Jan. Only cost you a couple Capt and cokes.

Jon

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #18
Van
zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Van,

I can do it for you after I get home from work in late Jan. Only cost you a couple Capt and cokes.

Jon
DEAL....

~..~..~.. ><((((º>