Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Ľ Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Ľ Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,526
Apple Inc

Apple is giving its employees a $2,500 bonus
bringing $250 billion in cash that is currently overseas, back to the US
paying $38 billion in taxes on that cash
investing $30 billion in the US to create 20,000 jobs
matching employee charitable donations 2-to-1

not bad.

And Nancy Pelosi calls all these bonuses, raises, and new jobs...pathetic crumbs. Atta girl. Where'd they find her anyway, Scotland Yard?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-17-2018 at 11:05 PM..
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
Slipknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 16,507
They could use those funds to pay for defrauding customers into upgrading phones because they manipulated battery life and slowing the speed down with their updates. Pisses me off spending money I did not need to spend. screw apple

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,233
Itís one of the few thing she I have seen our government do in recent times that I agree with. Iím sure those $2500 bonuses will just go into the stock market or pay off some sort of personal debts. Saying it will be returned back to the ďeconomyĒ is a stretch. Just let the economy do itís own thing and it will....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

Iím sure those $2500 bonuses will just go into the stock market or pay off some sort of personal debts. Saying it will be returned back to the ďeconomyĒ is a stretch.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
clairvoyance...
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

Just let the economy do itís own thing and it will....

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thanks Yogi....
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 4,408
Phones are so fing expensive, what a fing racket, why do I need a GD computer in my pocket I have one on my desk?
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Itís one of the few thing she I have seen our government do in recent times that I agree with. Iím sure those $2500 bonuses will just go into the stock market or pay off some sort of personal debts. Saying it will be returned back to the ďeconomyĒ is a stretch. Just let the economy do itís own thing and it will....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
If they pay off debt with all of it (I'm impressed you know that's what they'll do), that's more $$ that the lenders can lend to others, which greases the wheels of the economy. Unless they burn it Nebe, it circulates back into the economy.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
If they pay off debt with all of it (I'm impressed you know that's what they'll do), that's more $$ that the lenders can lend to others, which greases the wheels of the economy. Unless they burn it Nebe, it circulates back into the economy.
It's restricted stock...not paying off anything short-term. The overseas cash isn't coming back soon, they're just paying the taxes on it. As for the 20k jobs, that's a projection as to what the spending could possibly create through the entire supply chain not all Apple hires.

Good that they're investing for sure but all these press releases need to be taken with a grain of salt. Wal-Mart's bonus plan turns out impacts hardly anyone and a lot of these increases were already planned.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's restricted stock...not paying off anything short-term. The overseas cash isn't coming back soon, they're just paying the taxes on it. As for the 20k jobs, that's a projection as to what the spending could possibly create through the entire supply chain not all Apple hires.

Good that they're investing for sure but all these press releases need to be taken with a grain of salt. Wal-Mart's bonus plan turns out impacts hardly anyone and a lot of these increases were already planned.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"The overseas cash isn't coming back soon, they're just paying the taxes on it" 38 billion the feds will have, that they don't have now. That could fund at least 3 teacher pensions!

"Wal-Mart's bonus plan turns out impacts hardly anyone"

The minimum wage hike to $11/hr impacts a lot. Funny you chose to leave that out.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #10
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
The minimum wage hike to $11/hr impacts a lot. Funny you chose to leave that out.
It's a dollar more. The Obama recovery has made it harder to fill low paying jobs...was going to happen regardless Jim.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

The Obama recovery

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
aka...weakest recovery ever
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's a dollar more. The Obama recovery has made it harder to fill low paying jobs...was going to happen regardless Jim.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"It's a dollar more."

Which is $2,000 more per year. In addition, thanks to tax reform, many will keep a higher % of their new higher income.

What did Obama do for these people, that helped more?

And if Obama gets credit for the economic improvements he oversaw, does that mean you give Trump credit for what has happened since January 2017? Otherwise, you would appear to be a hypocrite.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #13
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
aka...weakest recovery ever
You don't think that's what he meant?
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 16,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's a dollar more. The Obama recovery has made it harder to fill low paying jobs...was going to happen regardless Jim.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Are you saying that because less people were available to fill the low paying jobs, the natural progression was that the wages would increase for those same low paying jobs.

I thought this theory was dis-proved in another thread.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 01-18-2018 at 02:40 PM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #15
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Are you saying that because less people were available to fill the low paying jobs, the natural progression was that the wages would increase for those same low paying jobs.

I thought this theory was dis-proved in another thread.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
That's right. His beliefs in the validity of supply and demand, depends on whose ox is getting gored. That was well played.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Are you saying that because less people were available to fill the low paying jobs, the natural progression was that the wages would increase for those same low paying jobs.

I thought this theory was dis-proved in another thread.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
No, it more a bigger shift overcoming long term wage suppression.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 16,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
No, it more a bigger shift overcoming long term wage suppression.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #18
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
You deny?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You deny?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Aren't you the denier? Aren't you denying that supply impacts price on one thread, and advocating for it in another.

Here, you say a shortage of low wage workers will drive up the price...and everyone agrees with you.

On the other thread, you denied that an increase in supply of low wage workers affected the price.

You are being inconsistent. The one commonality, is that in each argument, you were promoting liberalism.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #20
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Aren't you the denier? Aren't you denying that supply impacts price on one thread, and advocating for it in another.

Here, you say a shortage of low wage workers will drive up the price...and everyone agrees with you.

On the other thread, you denied that an increase in supply of low wage workers affected the price.

You are being inconsistent. The one commonality, is that in each argument, you were promoting liberalism.
I've never said supply and demand isn't an economic force, just that in the real world there are a lot of other factors to consider some of which can be more influential to actual results.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #21
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I've never said supply and demand isn't an economic force, just that in the real world there are a lot of other factors to consider some of which can be more influential to actual results.
Right. And if the impact of supply on price supports your agenda, you agree with it. When it doesn't support your agenda, you deny it.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #22
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Right. And if the impact of supply on price supports your agenda, you agree with it. When it doesn't support your agenda, you deny it.
The situations are different.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #23
Pete F.
Master trŚd morder
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 3,578
Just remember what an architect told me once, that every problem has a simple but elegant and incorrect solution.

Pete
In life, it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Just remember what an architect told me once, that every problem has a simple but elegant and incorrect solution.
Every problem has an infinite number of simple or complex solutions that are incorrect. They all have simple or correct solutions that are correct depending on the definition of correct.

There are various "solutions" to paying for healthcare, which will have different effects on the economy, freedom of choice, the type of government that is desired, and especially on the effect they have on our constitutional system of government.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #25
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,233
Each crisis we face is a moment for opertunity.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #26
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,503
apple had the money to do this 10 years ago ... love how Republicans love PR stunts and tout them as signs of change .. and 1 dollar an hours a game changes in the life of someone who was just making 8 buck an hour .. are clueless
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #27
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
apple had the money to do this 10 years ago ... love how Republicans love PR stunts and tout them as signs of change .. and 1 dollar an hours a game changes in the life of someone who was just making 8 buck an hour .. are clueless
Why is Comcast (the company that owns MSNBC) doing it now? Does the CEO of Comcast (the guy who signs Rachael Maddow's paycheck) want to make Trump look good?

Of course they could have done it before. But they were finally incentivized to do it, with the tax reform.

If you think a tax windfall of $38 billion and 20,000 new jobs is a PR stunt, you can think that. You look very foolish to say that, in my opinion.

"and 1 dollar an hours a game changes in the life of someone who was just making 8 buck an hour "

if you work 2,000 hours a year, than a $1/hr a raise is a $2,000 gross bump in salary. In addition, these people will pay a lower tax rate. than they did last year. So not only does their gross pay increase, they keep a higher percentage of their gross pay, so that's a double benefit. They keep a higher percentage of each dollar, and they have more dollars of pay.

It's not going to end poverty. Not even close. But please tell me, what Obama did in 8 years, that did more for these people?

Have fun answering that...
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #28
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 16,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
and 1 dollar an hours a game changes in the life of someone who was just making 8 buck an hour .. are clueless
It's a 12.5% raise. I wish I got one of those.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #29
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
It's a 12.5% raise. I wish I got one of those.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Previous minimum was 10 I believe. So no...

Maybe they can get off foodstamps?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 16,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Previous minimum was 10 I believe. So no...

Maybe they can get off foodstamps?
Wdmso stated $8...a dollar an hour is 12.5% stop changing facts
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com