Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
Duke41
got gas?
iTrader: (0)
 
Duke41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,679
Another college mass murder.. ho-hum, who cares.

Its assault weapon college student hunting season again. I hope Congress continues to ignore this crisis.The NRA spent $20 million this election cycle paying off these immoral, money, grubbing ass clowns. They should get what they pay for. So a hundred kids die, what is that compared to all the luxury items money can buy. If I was them I wouldn't lift a finger either. I like driving a BMW. Screw those dead kids and their families and all the pussy, liberal whining.
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
tysdad115
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
tysdad115's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pembroke
Posts: 3,258
Clearly the NRA and the gun is to blame.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Duke41
got gas?
iTrader: (0)
 
Duke41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,679
Exactly

If one of the kids was yours. What smart ass remarks you come up with then.
Better yet other than doing nothing, what would be a solution?
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
tysdad115
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
tysdad115's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pembroke
Posts: 3,258
So you're one of them blame the gun guys. Blaming inanimate objects for acts of people. Makes sense, we must need more laws, criminals always follow laws. Maybe some more signs, gun free zones..yes those will work.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,505
Pass the popcorn
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41 View Post
Exactly

If one of the kids was yours. What smart ass remarks you come up with then.
Better yet other than doing nothing, what would be a solution?
In Chicago and DC, very few people own guns, yet gun violence (measured per citizen) is out of sight. In the Dakotas, almost everyone owns a gun, and there is almost no gun violence.

Conclusion: some gun legislation might help. But we also need to figure out how to get people in DC and Chicago to behave more like the people in the Dakotas, who don't hurt one another despite owning guns. We need to make it easier to commit the mentally ill. And we need to have a conversation about the violence our kids get bombarded with on TV and in the movies. But the liberals are beholden to Hollywood just like the Republicans are beholden to the NRA. Plenty of blame here.

For Obama to immediately go on a tirade about guns without discussing the other factors, is repugnant.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:11 AM   #7
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
So you're one of them blame the gun guys. Blaming inanimate objects for acts of people. Makes sense, we must need more laws, criminals always follow laws. Maybe some more signs, gun free zones..yes those will work.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Good points. And since the manufacture of guns will not and cannot be prohibited which is the only way to keep guns out of the hands of criminals or crazy people, perhaps we should more completely root out the other objects to blame for mass shootings. And since the ones we are mostly shocked and angry about occur in schools, maybe we could eliminate the schools since crowded ones seem to be magnets for mass shootings. That would certainly be more effective than more ineffective gun laws. Then, of course, we could prohibit movies, novels, stories, TV programs, internet blogs, etc. which glorify anti-social behavior which might influence sensitive minds to go berserk. The poor guy who committed this current atrocity was a victim not only of the existence and availability of guns, but all that other stuff--the schools just sitting there filled with easy targets, the movies, the news, the blogs--how could he not help but do what he did. There is this bit of "news":

UPDATE: CBS News reports that a blog purportedly written by the killer spoke longingly of the fame given to mass shooters:


Posts on an online blog that appears to belong to Mercer reference multiple shootings, including one in Virginia in August that left a television news reporter and cameraman dead. The last upload on the blog was Wednesday. when a documentary about the Newtown shooting was posted.

In one post on the blog about Vester Flanagan, the man who killed the reporter and cameraman in Virginia, Mercer apparently wrote, “I have noticed that so many people like [Flanagan] are alone and unknown, yet when they spill a little blood, the whole world knows who they are. A man who was known by no one, is now known by everyone. His face splashed across every screen, his name across the lips of every person on the planet, all in the course of one day. Seems like the more people you kill, the more you’re in the limelight.”

And it appears that he did not use a dreaded "assault" gun, whatever that is, but a more regular one--which apparently assaulted very well.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #8
Piscator
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Piscator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marshfield, Ma
Posts: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41 View Post
Its assault weapon college student hunting season again. I hope Congress continues to ignore this crisis.The NRA spent $20 million this election cycle paying off these immoral, money, grubbing ass clowns. They should get what they pay for. So a hundred kids die, what is that compared to all the luxury items money can buy. If I was them I wouldn't lift a finger either. I like driving a BMW. Screw those dead kids and their families and all the pussy, liberal whining.
People kill people...The number one cause of motor vehicle death is cell phone use...it's illegal to text and drive so based off your argument we should make cell phones completely illegal and outlaw them, that way nobody could ever use them which would eliminate the use of cell phones and texting while driving and thus the cell phone would no longer be responsible for people dying...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:14 AM   #9
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
In Chicago and DC, very few people own guns, yet gun violence (measured per citizen) is out of sight. In the Dakotas, almost everyone owns a gun, and there is almost no gun violence.

Conclusion: some gun legislation might help. But we also need to figure out how to get people in DC and Chicago to behave more like the people in the Dakotas, who don't hurt one another despite owning guns. We need to make it easier to commit the mentally ill. And we need to have a conversation about the violence our kids get bombarded with on TV and in the movies. But the liberals are beholden to Hollywood just like the Republicans are beholden to the NRA. Plenty of blame here.

For Obama to immediately go on a tirade about guns without discussing the other factors, is repugnant.
Aside from making a ridiculous comparison with an inner city vs rural comparison, your thoughts are 100% the same as Bernie Sander's statement that he made today about the shooting.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:20 AM   #10
Raven
........
iTrader: (0)
 
Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 22,690
Blog Entries: 1
the kid announced he was gonna do it
on social media

yet no one contacted authorities

that is the problem
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:26 AM   #11
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Aside from making a ridiculous comparison with an inner city vs rural comparison, your thoughts are 100% the same as Bernie Sander's statement that he made today about the shooting.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe, please tell me why it was ridiculous? Why is it that in some places, people can own guns and never think of hurting anybody, but in other places, a higher % of citizens want to kill others? Are you saying that living in the city makes one automatically more prone to homicidal behavior? If you moved to Chicago, you wouldn't be a murderer. If people in Chicago had the same values as the people in the Dakotas, crime would go down. And values are a choice, they aren't predetermined.

Maybe Sanders got one right.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:08 AM   #12
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,544
It's rediculous because the way of life is about 100% different in Chicago vs the Dakotas. Poverty levels, drug use, school systems, gangs and yes I will say it... The ratio of whites to minoraties.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:34 AM   #13
Fishpart
Keep The Change
iTrader: (0)
 
Fishpart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: The Road to Serfdom
Posts: 3,234
The only gun control that will stop shootings will be to eliminate every single firearm. As long as they exist, they will end up in the wrong hands.

What we need is to go back to 1976 when we decided to mainstream anyone with mental health issues and started down the road to making mental healthcare difficult to obtain.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #14
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
It's rediculous because the way of life is about 100% different in Chicago vs the Dakotas. Poverty levels, drug use, school systems, gangs and yes I will say it... The ratio of whites to minoraties.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Bingo!! So in other words, it's not the presence, or lack, of guns that matters, it's the "way of life" embraced by the citizens of an area, that ultimately determines levels of violence. I think that's what you are saying, and I agree!!

Therefore, if we want to reduce the violence, the way to do it, is to encourage people to adopt a way of life that's more similar to what people do in the Dakotas (work, family, church, love). But liberals, instead, tend to mock the way of life in the Dakotas, and instead of telling blacks in Chicago that they need to change, they pat them on the head, say "there, there", and give them a welfare check. The Obamas tell the citizens of Chicago how swell Beyoncé and Jay-Z are, which legitimizes that "way of life".
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:13 AM   #15
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,766
Damn Blacks.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #16
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,505
So the racist blames JayZ...
Was the shooter black?
Is Oregon inner city?

The poor folks in Charlston were actually in church as Jim instructed and even that did not prevent a tragedy. Shocking

This is more a mental illness than it is a gun problem. People like Ted K don't need guns to make an impact.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #17
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
So the racist blames JayZ...
Was the shooter black?
Is Oregon inner city?

The poor folks in Charlston were actually in church as Jim instructed and even that did not prevent a tragedy. Shocking

This is more a mental illness than it is a gun problem. People like Ted K don't need guns to make an impact.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Dangles, this shooter wasn't black, you got me.

Last weekend for the second weekend in a row, there were 50+ shootings in Chicago (what color do you suppose most of the shooters were?), where very few people own guns. There were likely none in the Dakotas, where huge numbers of people own guns.

So instead of mocking people who live in the Dakotas as bitter folks who cling to guns and religion because they are deranged, maybe our horse's ass president might instead suggest that the peoplke in the Dakotas are on to something, and maybe we should emulate their views towards their neighbors, instead of making fun of them.

These mass-shootings are predominantly carried out by whites., They also are a tiny speck of the gun deaths in our country, the vast majority is garden variety violence, the disproportionate majority of which is perpetrated by blacks. Does that make me a racist because I can see when one number is larger than another number?

It's not about race, so much as it's about culture. But in this country, blacks and hispanics are more likely to embrace the gangster rapper culture than whites are. I'm sorry if that fact spits in the face of your beliefs, but it's still a fact.

As you said, this particular case, is more about mental illness than guns. But if you look at the totality of gun violence in this country, it's pretty clear where the problem lies, and with whom. We need to figure out the "why". And it's not Sarah Palin's fault.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #18
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
The poor folks in Charlston were actually in church as Jim instructed and even that did not prevent a tragedy. Shocking

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You're implying that going to Church is therefore a bad idea. Yeah, that makes sense. Ho wmany people get killed on the highways every single day? Are cars therefore a bad idea?

Dangles, here is my racism at work. See the attached chart. In DC, 3.6% of the population owns guns, and there are 16.5 gun deaths per 100k residents. In South Dakota, 56.6% of the residents own guns, yet there are only 1.0 gun deaths per 100k residents. Personal behavior is a choice, we have free will (ignoring these rare shootings by the deranged, I'm talking baout the other 95% of gun violence, which is gang related, drug related, etc). Why do people in the Dakotas freely choose to leave each other alone, while people in Chicago and DC freely choose to shoot each other? The answer is the culture that the citizens in those places choose to embrace.

I don't believe Obama helps things, when he makes fun of people who live in the Dakotas, and makes kissy faces at Jay Z and Beyonce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_vi...tates_by_state
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #19
Fly Rod
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Fly Rod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Gloucester Massachusetts
Posts: 2,678
where was your president last week when 14 people were killed in chicago?.....chicago has one of strictest gun laws in the country but yet has the most gun violence in the country....we need strict punishment for illegal gun carries that commit gun crimes.....democratic liberals keep targeting the legal armed citizens with their gun laws......and your president keeps comparing australia with the u.s. .......aussie land only has a population of about 23-24 million people......other countries such as mexico has a much larger gun problem.....germany, france and united kingdom have strict gun laws but gun violence still prevails....united kingdom had to allow their bobbies to carry weapons because of gun violence.

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #20
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
where was your president last week when 14 people were killed in chicago?.....chicago has one of strictest gun laws in the country but yet has the most gun violence in the country....we need strict punishment for illegal gun carries that commit gun crimes.....democratic liberals keep targeting the legal armed citizens with their gun laws......and your president keeps comparing australia with the u.s. .......aussie land only has a population of about 23-24 million people......other countries such as mexico has a much larger gun problem.....germany, france and united kingdom have strict gun laws but gun violence still prevails....united kingdom had to allow their bobbies to carry weapons because of gun violence.
Right, because Australia is comprable. They have as many poor blacks as we do, and they share an open border with Mexico, right??
Absurd to compare.

It's time to be honest (Nebe was admirably brave). There is a culture embraced by a large segment of the black population in this country, and it's not what you see on "The Cosby Show". Those blacks that do embrace "The Cosby Show" culture., are called sellouts and Uncle Toms by liberals, just ask Clarence Thomas. Whites who embrace that culture are called bitter folks who cling to guns and religion, and that's from our President's mouth!!
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #21
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,766
I love how Jim always knows what is best for Blacks.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #22
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,544
if there was ever a song that was meant for Jim, here it is!!! I love Tod Snyder.
http://youtu.be/uUVzhale5R8
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #23
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I love how Jim always knows what is best for Blacks.
What I don't love, is how liberals (including Obama) somehow feel that what's best for them, is precisely what they've been spoon-fed for the last 40 years, despite overwhelming evidence that it's been a disaster.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #24
Raven
........
iTrader: (0)
 
Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 22,690
Blog Entries: 1
he makes some valid points in his lyrics
but isn't endowed with a good singing voice
unfortunately.....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #25
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club
iTrader: (0)
 
Rockport24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rowley
Posts: 3,777
It is quite interesting how Obama is focused on these mass shootings and says virtually nothing about the violence in the inner cities among people of color.

An otherwise law abiding citizen is going to be able to get a gun under most "common sense gun laws". What is someone going to be denied a gun because he said something to someone at some point? That's all we have on most of these pyshcopaths before they do these things!! It's absolutely a mental health issue
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #26
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,766
When Blacks embrace Cosby (who has always been a hero to conservatives), Jim will be complaining that they are raping women.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #27
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
When Blacks embrace Cosby (who has always been a hero to conservatives), Jim will be complaining that they are raping women.
No, you are thinking of the Democrats in the Senate, who did exactly that (falsely accused a black man of rape), and for exactly that reason (because he was conservative), to Clarence Thomas.

Boy did you walk right into that one.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #28
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
What I don't love, is how liberals (including Obama) somehow feel that what's best for them, is precisely what they've been spoon-fed for the last 40 years, despite overwhelming evidence that it's been a disaster.
And I love how someone starts a conversation about gun violence and you try switching it to a thread about Blacks and Obama.

Infatuation?
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #29
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
No, you are thinking of the Democrats in the Senate, who did exactly that (falsely accused a black man of rape), and for exactly that reason (because he was conservative), to Clarence Thomas.

Boy did you walk right into that one.
No, he has been a hero to the right for many years. Held up as what a good Black should be.

DId they accuse Clarence Thomas of Rape? Can you pls. post a link to that story.

Anita Hill was vilified by the right for testifying (reluctantly) against Thomas. Every once and a while there is a conservative Black and the cons. hold him up and say "see there are conservative Blacks.

Keep telling us what Blacks need to do.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #30
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
And I love how someone starts a conversation about gun violence and you try switching it to a thread about Blacks and Obama.

Infatuation?
Obama inserted himself into this with his idiotic remarks last night, about how we are all numb to this. I'm not numb to this, he sure as hell doesn't speak for me or many of us. He went on and on about how those who think the answer isn't just gun control, are either stupid or don't care about the victims. Screw him and the Bolshevik horse he rode in on. We need to solve this problem, innocent people are dying. As I said in my first post here, the conservatives need to talk about some gun laws, and the libs need to be willing to talk about mental health, violence in movies, and saying out loud that too many Americans are making stupid choices and embracing stupid values, and stop making fun of those who are living the way we should all try to live (the bitter clingers, what a great comment that was, right?).
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com